Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gordon, Gonsalves starting in AA. Romero to AAA

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

This speaks volumes about the amount of skepticism the FO views Gordon with, IMO.

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,077 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

Colder and wetter in Rochester in April and they want these guys to play?

Not sure I like this logic, if that's what it is. It isn't like they won't have those conditions in MN.May as well get that out of the way.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

Not sure I like this logic, if that's what it is. It isn't like they won't have those conditions in MN.May as well get that out of the way.

When the choice is Rochester or Chattanooga the weather in Minneapolis is irrelevant. It would take quite the disasterfor Gonsalves and Gordon to be in the majors in May. Featherston and the washed up vet may be the emergency backups at this point.Even if they are not Gordon could just as easly be called up from anywhere.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

I'm sorry I missed this. I tweeted it out 4-5 days ago. Not terribly surprising, though a few things:

1.) Gonsalves really struggled this spring. He only has 5 starts in AAA, so he can get a month in AA and then move back up. He'll be fine, assuming health.

2.) Romero is the story. he was optioned to AA and pitched so well and so impressive that he got pushed up.

3.) Gordon was very young for AA last year. I read here all the time how he needs to a.) improve defensively, b.) improve vs left-handed pitching, and c.) improve after a rough second half.

Most important... we've seen that the Twins (and all organizations) really don't want to lose any more players than they have to at the start of the season. It means extra guys on the DL. It means keeping those veteran minor leaguers down from spring training for awhile. There's no reason that if needed, the Twins can (and have) called up guys from AA. 

It's all interesting, but we always (and I'm guilty too) worry way too much about where a player starts the season.

We also believe that they're pushing Rooker to AA to start the season and Enlow is starting at Cedar Rapids, so there are a number of guys throughout the system that they're being aggressive with too. 

• gunnarthor, Danchat, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#25 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,608 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

I'm sorry I missed this. I tweeted it out 4-5 days ago. Not terribly surprising, though a few things:

1.) Gonsalves really struggled this spring. He only has 5 starts in AAA, so he can get a month in AA and then move back up. He'll be fine, assuming health.
2.) Romero is the story. he was optioned to AA and pitched so well and so impressive that he got pushed up.
3.) Gordon was very young for AA last year. I read here all the time how he needs to a.) improve defensively, b.) improve vs left-handed pitching, and c.) improve after a rough second half.

Most important... we've seen that the Twins (and all organizations) really don't want to lose any more players than they have to at the start of the season. It means extra guys on the DL. It means keeping those veteran minor leaguers down from spring training for awhile. There's no reason that if needed, the Twins can (and have) called up guys from AA. 

It's all interesting, but we always (and I'm guilty too) worry way too much about where a player starts the season.

We also believe that they're pushing Rooker to AA to start the season and Enlow is starting at Cedar Rapids, so there are a number of guys throughout the system that they're being aggressive with too.

When will the minor league rosters be finalized, ormhave they been now?
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#26 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

Cedar Rapids team has all arrived so I’m assuming they’re announced. A lot of people have said the team is stacked. I saw a roster but not sure if it was up to date. Noteworthy players I saw

SP Blayne Enlow
SP Tyler Watson
SP Tyler Wells
SP Bryan Sammons
RP Jovani Moran

c Banuelos
C rortvedt

2b Miranda
ss Lewis
3b Bechtold
Utility jordan gore

Of kiriloff
Of baddoo
  • Carole Keller likes this

#27 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:42 PM

https://www.milb.com...ter/c-270382466

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

This is exactly why I am advocating the Twins move their AAA Affiliate to Nashville. Also, I am not biased...at all.

There was an attempt by Don Beaver some years (maybe 15 to 20) ago to move the Twins to Charlotte. If that had happened, I'd now be the editor of "Hornets Daily" and I would invite all of ya'll to come visit.. 

• ashburyjohn likes this

#29 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

There was an attempt by Don Beaver some years (maybe 15 to 20) ago to move the Twins to Charlotte. If that had happened, I'd now be the editor of "Hornets Daily" and I would invite all of ya'll to come visit.. 

If that happened i'd be a minor league season ticket holder.BB&T is a beautiful ballpark

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

They're final.

Cedar Rapids announced theirs yesterday. Ft. Myers announced theirs this morning. I know the Cedar Rapids guys flew there on Sunday. The Chattanooga guys left Ft. Myers on Sunday. I think Rochester players are leaving today. Obviously the Miracle players (and Extended Spring) stay there. 

#31 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,446 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

The level of competition in AAA and AA is pretty similar, with the difference that the AA has some younger organizational players who will never make it to the bigs because they have certain flaws, while the AAA has older players who were not good enough to stay in the bigs when they made it because they have certain flaws.Both leagues have prospects also.

It really does not matter at that level and the Twins (and any other team) can promote someone from either AAA or AA the same...

The only difference is few extra $ in players pockets in AAA, which in the case of Gordon and Gonsalves who both received decent bonuses does not matter that much...

• WLFINN likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#32 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

This is exactly why I am advocating the Twins move their AAA Affiliate to Nashville. Also, I am not biased...at all.

I wouldn't object - I can get there in a day and we have some friends we could stay with. Don't the A's already have their AAA team there?

#33 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,608 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

They're final.

Cedar Rapids announced theirs yesterday. Ft. Myers announced theirs this morning. I know the Cedar Rapids guys flew there on Sunday. The Chattanooga guys left Ft. Myers on Sunday. I think Rochester players are leaving today. Obviously the Miracle players (and Extended Spring) stay there.

I keep checking each team’s rosters on their websites and hadn’t noticed changes yet. I did see the news segment on the CR team arriving ... it was pretty fun. I’m definitely getting older because those young men look too much like kids to me, even Toby Gardenhire.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

I keep checking each team’s rosters on their websites and hadn’t noticed changes yet. I did see the news segment on the CR team arriving ... it was pretty fun. I’m definitely getting older because those young men look too much like kids to me, even Toby Gardenhire.

Rochester just announced their roster too now.

#35 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

I wouldn't object - I can get there in a day and we have some friends we could stay with. Don't the A's already have their AAA team there?

They sure do. But I think they're on a short leash. I would think from a marketing stand point the Twins might be able to build a fan base in Nashville due to proximity (I know it's not exactly close to the Twins Cities.) The only baseball teams close to Nashville are the Braves and Cincinnati (4.5 and 5 he's drive, respectively.) With the Twins having two other Affiliates in the state, Chattanooga and Elizabethton, why not make it a third?! Weather is also decent in Spring with only rain-outs to contend with. Plus, Nashville is a terrific and growing city! Twins fans would LOVE visiting Nashville to see some of their prospects play!
  • tarheeltwinsfan and HrbekRules like this

#36 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

Cedar Rapids team has all arrived so I’m assuming they’re announced. A lot of people have said the team is stacked. I saw a roster but not sure if it was up to date. Noteworthy players I saw

SP Blayne Enlow
SP Tyler Watson
SP Tyler Wells
SP Bryan Sammons
RP Jovani Moran

c Banuelos
C rortvedt

2b Miranda
ss Lewis
3b Bechtold
Utility jordan gore

Of kiriloff
Of baddoo

Nope, Wells is in Fort Myers. 

#37 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

c Banuelos
C rortvedt

2b Miranda
ss Lewis
3b Bechtold
Utility jordan gore

Of kiriloff
Of baddoo

Jeepers, that's going to be a heck of a line-up to watch. 

#38 bean5302

bean5302

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

I don't think much of any of this other than the Twins are very bullish on Romero. AA sees a lot of talent. In fact, in general, there is probably superior, but less polished, talent in AA. Romero is in AAA to prove he's ready for MLB.

AAA is where players go to polish their approaches, and where a lot of players who simply aren't, and never will be, good enough to consistently play at the MLB level. That said, a lot of the players in AAA are the wily veteran types compared to lower MiLB standards. Experienced baseball players with advanced approaches at the plate or the ability to control their pitch placement.

Top prospects frequently don't spend full seasons in AAA. I think AAA is usually used as a litmus test for a few weeks to a couple months to verify a player can demonstrate their success isn't just the result of being able to sit back and wait for a pitcher to screw up and leave a fat meatball over the plate once an at bat, etc.

Edited by bean5302, 02 April 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#39 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Very surprised about Gordon. With Polancos suspension, Twins are lacking depth at SS. Seems like they would put Gordon at AAA and hope he performs well there.

Just as easy to call him up from the Lookouts, if they need him. I think they want him to work on some things.  

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,794 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Just as easy to call him up from the Lookouts, if they need him. I think they want him to work on some things.  

He can work on those same things in Rochester, I'd think.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.