Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fun with Numbers 2018 Edition

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,814 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

Johan was the best the Twins had relative to the rest of the league. There’s a reason why Bert never got much Cy Young consideration (other than being on some low win total teams). Those reasons were mostly Seaver, Carlton, Ryan, Jenkins and others who’s names I’m blanking on. There were a lot of all time great pitchers in Bert’s era. That’s a big part of why it took so long to get him in. He was probably the least accomplished of his peer group. It was just an exceptional group. Kinda like comparing Vince Coleman and Tim Raines with Rickey Hendeseon. Just because Raines and Coleman weren’t as good as Rickey, doesn’t mean they weren’t great.

These do not seem to me like reasons to consider Santana the best Twins pitcher ever.

Just the opposite. I didn't compare Blyleven to the rest of MLB. I compared him to the list of Twins pitchers.

Just because Bert wasn't as good as Seaver doesn't mean he wasn't better than Santana.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#62 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

The "Get To Know Each Other" thread got me to thinking about Rik Aalbert Blyleven.

He came up in 1970 at age 19.

Starting in 1971, his age 20 season, over the next 6 seasons he put up the following numbers:

1745 Inning Pitched (an average of 290 per year).

ERAs that ranged between 2.52 and 3.00 (with FIPs that ranged from 2.32 to 2.99)

1411 Ks, in an era where Ks were nowhere near as common as today

98 Ws.

110 complete games. One. Hundred. And. Ten. Over six seasons. An average of 18 per year.

Times have changed, but talk about a horse.

All of that was good enough to get him traded to Texas in 1976, BTW.

Many consider Johan Santana the best ever Twins pitcher. I love me some Johan, but for my money, that title belongs to Bert.

It's sad we'll never see pitching numbers like that ever again. I doubt the entire MLB will achieve 110 complete games this season.
  • USAFChief likes this

#63 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

These do not seem to me like reasons to consider Santana the best Twins pitcher ever.

Just the opposite. I didn't compare Blyleven to the rest of MLB. I compared him to the list of Twins pitchers.

Just because Bert wasn't as good as Seaver doesn't mean he wasn't better than Santana.

Right, but Johan was clearly the best pitcher in MLB for a 3 year span and the runner up was not even close.

For Bert’s best 6 years he was statistically the best, but really not by much.

As to who was better overall at their peak is really hard to say even with ERA+ and WAR etc. I think if you were looking for a guy to give you one big game to dominate an opponent, I think you want Johan. If you want a guy that can give you a chance to win 30 times a year or more, that’s probably Bert.

#64 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

53-year-old Rafael Palmeiro was in town playing my local American Assiciation team. He's OPS'ing .942 through 27 games and 105 PA, easily the top mark on his team.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief and snepp like this

#65 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,396 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

He's OPS'ing .942 through 27 games and 105 PA, easily the top mark on his team.

I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that an age of 53 also ranks highly on the roster.

• USAFChief, nicksaviking and snepp like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#66 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that an age of 53 also ranks highly on the roster.

I didn't check on that one. I presume he is older than his son though, who is also on the team.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief and snepp like this

#67 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,246 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

I didn't check on that one. I presume he is older than his son though, who is also on the team.

It's not Griffey and Griffey, but that's still pretty cool.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and nicksaviking like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#68 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,428 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Garver, as of this moment, is the best pitcher in our pen. 

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#69 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,814 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

The Houston Astros, entering play today, are 74-47. 27 games over .500, leading the ALW.

Were they in the ALE, they would trail the Boston Red Sox by 9.5 games.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#70 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

The Houston Astros, entering play today, are 74-47. 27 games over .500, leading the ALW.

Were they in the ALE, they would trail the Boston Red Sox by 9.5 games.

also the other division leader Cleveland would be 16 games back of Boston and Minnesota is 28 games back.