Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

The Baltimore Orioles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

The Baltimore Orioles (formerly the St. Louis Browns) is a team in the Eastern Division of the American League. In the present day their impact players are CF - Adam Jones, SS - JJ Hardy, RF - Nick Markakis, C - Matt Wieters, DH/IF - Chris Davis and Pitchers Wei-Yin Chen and Jim Johnson.

The Orioles are outplaying their talent this season and challenging for Wild Card spot. Some of their success could be attributed to their Manager Buck Showalter who has lead this squad beyond and above the expectations that were laid upon them for the 2012 season.

Their two top prospects are Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy. Manny is up in the Bigs now and is playing 3B for the Orioles and holding his own.

What are your thoughts on the the Baltimore Orioles and their chance at playoff admission?

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Chances are slim but the Orioles to me are a team that proves that you can do some things with a lesser roster. You can be loaded and play like crap ala the Red Sox and be challenged yet challenging like the Orioles.

The game of baseball still has to be won on the field. No matter how much money you make or if you have MVP titles on your resume.

I love stories like this one.

Jones is legit. This Machado kid will be a plus... Might be a rocky ride to that plus but he can play. Davis might be underrated. Young arms that just haven't panned out the way the Orioles have hoped.

All in all... They play good fundamentally sound baseball. I'd say the future looks bright if they were in a different division.

#3 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

The Rays have lost four 1-0 games in a one month stretch, something that hasn't been done since 1958.

Does that mean Joe Maddon is a worse manager than Buck Showalter?

#4 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

How great would it be if the Orioles and Rays become the perennial playoff teams from the East, while the Yankees and Red Sox go into a 6 year rebuild?!

#5 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

I don't believe the O's will continue to be lucky with a lesser roster but luckily for them they have some high end talent on the team and coming up. With a little luck this can be a contender in the east. It won't be easy though since all 4 teams will be factors.

#6 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Orioles climbed within 2 games of the Yankees tonight. How great would it be if the O's and Rays managed to push the Yankees clear out of the playoffs over the next month?
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Orioles climbed within 2 games of the Yankees tonight. How great would it be if the O's and Rays managed to push the Yankees clear out of the playoffs over the next month?

It definitely would be a good story. Maybe a little more noteworthy than the BoSox Collapse of last season... that is the O's and Ray's making the playoffs and the Bronx Bombers out of it.

#8 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

I love the Orioles story, and Camden Yards is the #1 ballpark in baseball. It has the feel of Fenway & Wrigley, with seats that weren't built in the 1930's, and can hold someone over 200 lbs! Also, not all the over-stimulating techno, wrap-around lights and mega scoreboards that draw attention from the field of play. That's my biggest complaint about Target Field. Try sitting in the upper deck behind home plate where the jumbotrons are at eye level, but be sure to bring Tylenol

For those of us who grew up with the Orioles of the late 60's and 70's, this is a treat.

So, this spring, when my wife and I went to Vegas, Baltimore had swept the Twins a week or two before, and the Oriioles were improbably leading the East. Silly me, I put $5 on the Birds to win the World Series. Payoff on 10/31? $880.

And I get to cheer against the damn Yankees.

Life is good, just Don't Feed the Greed.