Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Finalize Opening Day 25-Man Roster

ryan lamarre tyler kinley phil hughes kennys vargas gabriel moya
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Opening Day is less than 48 hours away and Minnesota made their final roster moves of the spring on Tuesday. There were multiple questions still to be answered at the back of the 25-man roster with a couple of surprises mixed in. Either way, the Twins will head to Baltimore on Tuesday night with multiple new faces joining the squad.The first moves of the day finalized the final battle for position players.

With Granite heading to Rochester, it meant Ryan LaMarre would be joining the Twins outfield for the season’s beginning. LaMarre was crowned the 2018 Sire of Fort Myers. Earlier this week, Seth speculated that LaMarre could break camp with the club.

Kennys Vargas also saw his crazy week continue. It looked like he might be heading to the National League with the Reds but they figured out they don’t need a DH. Over the weekend, the Twins claimed him back from Cincinnati. Today, they were able to pass him through waivers and outright him to Triple-A Rochester. This move leaves the Twins with one open spot on the 40-man roster.

Phil Hughes also provided an interesting situation for the club. Hughes looked like an option for a long-relief role. During his last spring start, Hughes was pulled with a mild oblique strain. This means he will start the year on the DL. This seemed like a convenient solution to the Twins roster crunch.

With all of the moves above, here’s how the Twins 25-man roster will look on Opening Day.

C: Jason Castro, Mitch Garver
1B: Joe Mauer, Logan Morrison
2B: Brian Dozier
SS: Eduardo Escobar, Ehire Adrianza
3B: Miguel Sano
OF: Byron Buxton, Max Kepler, Eddie Rosario, Ryan LaMarre, Robbie Grossman
SP: Jose Berrios, Kyle Gibson, Jake Odorizzi, Lance Lynn
RP: Fernando Rodney, Addison Reed, Zach Duke, Ryan Pressly, Trevor Hildenberger, Taylor Rogers, Gabriel Moya, Tyler Kinley
DL: Ervin Santana, Phil Hughes

With a four man starting rotation, the Twins won’t need a fifth starter until April 11th. Last week, I thought that spot start might be filled by Hughes. His injury puts that start into question. Tyler Kinley’s impressive winter in the Dominican and his electric fastball made it easier to keep him around.

How do you feel about the final 25-man roster? Obviously, there will be plenty of other players who impact the roster this season. Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, nicksaviking and nclahammer like this

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Good news for LaMarre.LaMarre, Hughes, Kinley, Moya, and some others will have to prove themselves to stay in the Bigs.We have about 8 guys plus Vargas in the Minors ready to step in.I'm looking for a great season.Win Twins!!!

• Jerr, gunnarthor, tarheeltwinsfan and 8 others like this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

Think you mean Addison Reed. 😉

Be interesting to see what happens for that April 11 start. Tyler Duffy would be the “safe” choice”. Adalberto Mejia or Aaron Slegers would be options. But what is the roster move? Obviously an injury between now and then could change things, but Moya would seem to be the most likely candidate to go down.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

I'm thinking the relief corps will be on a short two-week leash. Moya and Hildenberger have to prove that they don't need to work on things in the minors. Kinley needs to NOT fail, or he could be cut loose easily (freeing up a 40-man rotating spot for relief pitchers. Taylor Rogers has to pitch better than he has the second part of last season and in spring training. And Fernando Rodney can't such as a closer. He's making a decent salary, but if he blows games for a club that wants to win, they shant keep him in the pen.

LaMarre is getting his chance, otherwise his becomes a rotating roster spot. Robbie Grossman has to be on notice, too.

Baseball begins Thursday. The Twins need to get off to a dynamite start, create fan enthusiasm, get tickets sold, make people forget basketball, the Super Bowl, the Vikings, and love again the wonderful game of baseball.

• Puckett34, USNMCPO and BJames like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

One body available to back up 3 positions (3B, SS, 2B). If you were to DH Sano you have zero bodies available...without losing the DH. Rosario in an emergency? Does this seem sustainable? The Granite move makes sense. His bat has zero value on the bench. We’ll see him play plenty if one of the big three goes on the DL.
  • Carpetboy, DocBauer, KidBro and 1 other like this

#6 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

Damn, I had Ryan Lamarre in the pool, but foiled by Jake Reed.

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Boy, that infield looks thin.I hope they're still in the market for someone.

• Carpetboy, Twins33, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#8 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

Holy crap am I excited for this season to start.Go Twins!

• Sconnie, twinssporto and VirginSturgeon like this

#9 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Writers
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Think you mean Addison Reed.

Fixed--ed.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Congratulations to longshots Moya, Kinley and LaMarre. I doubt all three make it to May 1, but all three seized opportunities. I would agree that middle infield is short. Who comes up in the event of an injury, Gordon?
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#11 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

Is Yunel Escobar still a free agent? He would seem more useful than a 5th OF'er. 

• Minfidel and joemama like this

#12 joemama

joemama

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

Agreed ... Adrianza and maybe even LoMo can play corner OF, but I don't think either LeMarre or Grossman can play any infield.

• Minfidel likes this

#13 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

LaMarre until we claim Trayce Thompson.

#14 Penthang

Penthang

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

I’m curious how that open 40 man spot will be used…I’m guessing Falvey has a couple names he has an eye on to be waived as team come out of camp?

--Twins Fan From Texas

#15 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

Yeah, with that extra spot open on the 40-man roster, if would make sense to find another infielder. As theLeviathan noted, with the current situation things do indeed look thin, especially after Aybar was released.

#16 sdangus

sdangus

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Yeah, with that extra spot open on the 40-man roster, if would make sense to find another infielder. As theLeviathan noted, with the current situation things do indeed look thin, especially after Aybar was released.

The extra 40-man spot is going to LaMarre.

• Craig Arko likes this

#17 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

The extra roster spot if it really exists is flexibility to call anyone up from the minors that they want.We have no really need to go outside the organization again at this point.

#18 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

There's no way I would have sent LaMarre down. If he's at all for real, or even if he's on a hot streak, you have to ride it out. The downside of adding LaMarre now could be having to cut him from the 40, depending on whether the Twins need the spot, so his fate might ride on whether he starts out hot. Had he gone to AAA and shown that he's truly turned a corner, he might have ended up with a better opportunity, especially if Grossman regresses more. Now, if he starts out cold, he might be searching for work, though I'm sure the Twins would love him back at AAA.

But from the Twins point of view, ride the hot hand. I hope they give him time and opportunity.

#19 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

There's no way I would have sent LaMarre down. If he's at all for real, or even if he's on a hot streak, you have to ride it out. The downside of adding LaMarre now could be having to cut him from the 40, depending on whether the Twins need the spot, so his fate might ride on whether he starts out hot. Had he gone to AAA and shown that he's truly turned a corner, he might have ended up with a better opportunity, especially if Grossman regresses more. Now, if he starts out cold, he might be searching for work, though I'm sure the Twins would love him back at AAA.

But from the Twins point of view, ride the hot hand. I hope they give him time and opportunity.

If Vargas cleared waivers, it’s pretty likely LaMarre will especially if he starts poorly (which would be why he would be sent down anyway).

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:21 AM

I mean, Aybar was deemed not able to play SS because he's lost a step. Taylor Featherston and Gregorio Petit were the last two guys sent to minor league camp. They both CAN play shortstop. So while they don't have Aybar's track record, they're probably better for the role. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, tyler kinley, phil hughes, kennys vargas, gabriel moya