Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor Leaguers released

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Was Brock Stassi released??

Nope. He's on the Rochester roster. 

• rikker49 likes this

#22 nclahammer

nclahammer

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

I was really bummed to see that the Minnesota Twins had parted ways with Michael Theofanopoulos, and not just because of his long last name (more on that later.)He put together two pretty good seasons at both levels of 'A' ball (5-3, 2.20 in 2016 and 5-3, 3.76 in 2017), gave up less than a hit per inning (108 in 132 IP) averaged over a strikeout per inning while not being a fireballer (161 Ks in 132 innings) as a reliever, and was a lefty to boot.Some interesting facts about Michael Theofanopoulos, he told me that he and Twin's reliever Trevor Hildenberger were both roommates and teammates in college at California and in Class A ball with the Cedar Rapids Kernels.I won a game worn jersey from Theo during the Kernels halfway to Christmas promotion and talked to him after the game when he presented it to me. Hildengerger and Theofanopoulos were both drafted by the Twins in 2014, Hildy 22nd round and Theo 30th.I visited with Hildenberger in Port Charlotte last year during spring training and he was with some minor leaguers playing a game there.He was behind homeplate with the radar gun and clipboard before the game, and said it was okay if I asked if I could sit down and please get an autograph.When I asked Hildengerger about his former roommate and teammate Theo and told him I had one of his jerseys, he smiled and said he thought Theofanopoulos was continuing to advance up the ladder and had a bright future ahead.Okay, now about his long last name.Had Michael Theofanopoulos made it on the Minnesota Twins roster, he would have had the longest last name in franchise history with 14 letters, edging out the likes of Doug Mientkiewicz, Paul Thormodsgard, and Trevor Hildenberger with 12 letters each.In one of my searches, Theofanopoulos shows up on the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers home page, but he isn't listed on their roster.Wherever you pitch this year Michael, good luck.

#23 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,608 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Rainis Silva was traded to the Mariners for cash considerations.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#24 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

And Michael was the 30th overall pick. It's not like he was a Top 5 guy. By the end of the first round (if not by about the 4th pick), there are no (or few) givens. 

To illustrate that point, 2 of the top 5 selections in this draft have flopped.

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

But they went and purchased a couple of other guys to give them depth somewhere other than catcher. 

Part of the reason for the sale...he is behind and would be a minor league free agent in another season, I believe, and is still only an A or A+ ball catcher this season.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:36 AM

To illustrate that point, 2 of the top 5 selections in this draft have flopped.

which two?

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

which two?

Hultzen and Starling.

#28 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hultzen and Starling.

Starling was an 18 year old position player when drafted. Not uncommon not to pan out. Not uncommon for the number 5 pick not to pan out. The Royal with their track record at the number 5 pick should lowball the guy so he does not sign as they had better luck when they picked 6th. They might really want to think about not drafting at all as the lastdraft they had that worked was 2008

Hultzen was derailed by his shoulder, not lack of talent.

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

Starling was an 18 year old position player when drafted. Not uncommon not to pan out. Not uncommon for the number 5 pick not to pan out. The Royal with their track record at the number 5 pick should lowball the guy so he does not sign as they had better luck when they picked 6th. They might really want to think about not drafting at all as the last draft they had that worked was 2008

Hultzen was derailed by his shoulder, not lack of talent.

Even if it's common for 18 year old #5 picks to bust, it doesn't change the fact that it was a bust.

And injuries are as much a part of sports as talent. Especially when you spend a high pick on a pitcher. Harder to predict? Sure. But a bust because of injury is still a bust.

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,608 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Wait ... are these Twins prospects that were released that we're talking about now? If not ...

• ashburyjohn likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#31 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Here's a way to look at the Twins roster, Class A and above.

https://twins.baseba...om/rosters/2018

• operation mindcrime likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#32 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

Here's a way to look at the Twins roster, Class A and above.

https://twins.baseba...om/rosters/2018

This is super cool! Thanks for the link! :) \m/