Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Ryan LaMarre Just Might Make Twins Opening Day Roster

ryan lamarre paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

Why? He's a backup as long as the big three are here, and there are guys on his tail.

In my opinion, the answer is because if one of the three starters get hurt, Granite takes over as the starter and Lamarre remains the 4th OF. 

• glunn, Doubles and dbminn like this

#102 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

TD's Parker with some rationale about why LaMarre may have had better results this spring, and hopefully in the future.

I'm glad to see production, and not just pedigree, is rewarded with a roster spot.His exposure will be limited, and he may only last a short while, but he did earn his spot.

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Jerr and 3 others like this

#103 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

How long would Granite have to be on the farm for the Twins to own another year of him? That is, postpone vesting by a year. Keep LaMarre until then?

I'm guessing Service Time has pretty much zero impact on this decision.

#104 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

TD's Parker with some rationale about why LaMarre may have had better results this spring, and hopefully in the future.

In fairness, though, LaMarre was dreadful at the plate in 2017, to the tune of a 68 wRC+, .057 ISO, and 0 HR in 194 PA at AAA (in the hitter-friendly PCL, no less).

He could improve on that and still not be worthy of a MLB roster spot. Although as a 4th outfielder on this squad, it shouldn't much matter.
  • jud6312 likes this

#105 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,855 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

We are happy they are rewarding spring training production, and ignoring years of minor league results? Ok then.

Congrats and good luck to him. I hope he makes me look more stupid than I do on my own.
  • Jerr, Vanimal46 and jud6312 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#106 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

FWIW, LaMarre had decent spring training numbers in 2016 and 2017 too (.829 and .873 OPS, respectively). Actually similar/better ISO, BB%, and K% to his 2018 spring training performance -- the big difference statistically seems to be BABIP.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#107 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

The game is played by humans. Hard work, persistence and inspiration results in a few players every year that totally defy expectations based on their record. Maybe LaMarre will defy expectations and staff in the organization recognized that growth. Maybe not. I look forward to following the story.

#108 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,629 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

I don't get the consternation on the 4th OF position. As Seth mentioned, Granite is going to get the call if someone gets hurt (unless LaMarre is doing well)...Is that a bad thing? It ultimately means more talent in the org. 

Yeah, it's ST stats, and yeah, it's probably a mirage, but just as I'd hope the FO is smarter than taking ST stats on their own merit, I'd also hope they can look at someone and see the adjustments that were made allowing for said stats and make an educated guess as to whether or not they are sustainable. Ultimately, it's a 4th OF spot for a guy who is an above average defender. His ceiling, like it or not, is much higher than Granites as of now, and if giving a temporary roster spot is needed to determine it, I'm fine with that. It's not like Granite will be playing much had he won the spot, and one could argue that his development is best served playing every day.

• glunn, Twins33 and Major League Ready like this

#109 Twins33

Twins33

• 517 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Happy for the dude. Hopefully Rowson works his magic on him. His swing does look better in that clip. Now he just needs to put it to use when he's called upon. Didn't really matter if it was him or Granite as neither will play much if the three regulars are all healthy, which is what we want to happen.
  • Jerr likes this

#110 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

I don't get the consternation on the 4th OF position. As Seth mentioned, Granite is going to get the call if someone gets hurt (unless LaMarre is doing well)...Is that a bad thing? It ultimately means more talent in the org. 

Yeah, it's ST stats, and yeah, it's probably a mirage, but just as I'd hope the FO is smarter than taking ST stats on their own merit, I'd also hope they can look at someone and see the adjustments that were made allowing for said stats and make an educated guess as to whether or not they are sustainable. Ultimately, it's a 4th OF spot for a guy who is an above average defender. His ceiling, like it or not, is much higher than Granites as of now, and if giving a temporary roster spot is needed to determine it, I'm fine with that. It's not like Granite will be playing much had he won the spot, and one could argue that his development is best served playing every day.

I'm not high on Granite in any way, shape, or form, but what in the history, pedigree, or track record of either player leads you to believe that LaMarre has a higher ceiling than Granite?

They're pretty similar, except one is younger and has been more successful.

#111 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I'd actually say Granite has a significantly higher ceiling of the two. And I've also never been very high on Granite.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#112 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

This situation reminds me of Sean Burroughs in 2012. I remember he was a longshot for the roster but had a good Spring Training and was able to make the team. He then ended up getting 2 hits in 18 PAs and was DFA'd and never showed up in the majors again. LaMarre would likely end up doing something similar... it's not like he's going to be getting many PAs.

I remember him mostly as the fat kid with the mullet that mashed bombs in the little league world series.

#113 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

I think the real story here is that Seth knew this was happening waaay before anyone else.
  • ashbury and big dog like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, paul molitor