Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Ryan LaMarre Just Might Make Twins Opening Day Roster

ryan lamarre paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

I’ll take the upside possibilities of Lamarre and his new swing. The only thing the Twins have to lose is Grossy, and I’m not very concerned about that.
Edit: If he’s willing to start the year in Rochester than he will. Roster flexibility

Edited by ahart10, 25 March 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#42 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

He has 2800 PAs in the minors. We already know what he'll do.

I sure wish the Twins had added a RH hitting OFer over the winter, but LaMarre ain't it.

I wish we had added a RH OFer as well. I always advocated for keeping Hicks as a platoon outfielder. if there was a right handed doppleganger for Kepler I would have been ok with a trade.Heck, if there was a right handed doppleganger for Granite I would prefer it but if there are good proven righthanded outfielders out there they probably want more than 1 or two starts a week.  Its not like LaMarre was a bad hitter in the minors.I'm ok whether they keep him or send him down at this point. The problemis that he is on a nice role right now but it hard to keep that momentum going with just an at bat or two here and there.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#43 dxpavelka

dxpavelka

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Still don't understand the infatuation with Grossman..255 with a dozen home runs and 60 RBI would be a MONSTER year for him.Need to find a better option if you plan to go to the next level.

• puckstopper1 likes this

#44 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,387 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I wish we had added a RH OFer as well. I always advocated for keeping Hicks as a platoon outfielder. if there was a right handed doppleganger for Kepler I would have been ok with a trade. Heck, if there was a right handed doppleganger for Granite I would prefer it but if there are good proven right handed outfielders out there they probably want more than 1 or two starts a week. Its not like LaMarre was a bad hitter in the minors. I'm ok whether they keep him or send him down at this point. The problem is that he is on a nice role right now but it hard to keep that momentum going with just an at bat or two here and there.

I don’t know what your definition of bad hitter is, but he’s got a .719 career minor league OPS and hasn’t slugged .400 at A, AA, or AAA.

I don’t like Granite much, but I’ll take him over LaMarre.
  • Danchat and jud6312 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#45 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,387 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Still don't understand the infatuation with Grossman..255 with a dozen home runs and 60 RBI would be a MONSTER year for him.Need to find a better option if you plan to go to the next level.

Logan Morrison says hi.
  • Seth Stohs, Danchat, Sconnie and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#46 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

I don’t know what your definition of bad hitter is, but he’s got a .719 career minor league OPS and hasn’t slugged .400 at A, AA, or AAA.

Yeah, but new swing. New approach launch angle. Late bloomer.

What'd I miss 

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

LaMarre has a .630 BABIP in 43 PA this spring.

Edited by spycake, 25 March 2018 - 11:11 AM.

• Taildragger8791, Vanimal46, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#48 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

For everyone claiming that LaMarre has "pop" in his bat, where is this "pop" manifesting itself?

Obviously, I know that pop doesn't always translate to HRs, but you often see guys with pop rack up doubles.

LaMarre's hit 10 HRs twice, and only had more than 20 doubles once.

So is he just savagely tearing into his singles, rocketing them everywhere, or is he just hitting line drives right at the defense? Because his "pop" certainly hasn't translated to actual success or numbers that indicate he has any "pop."

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#49 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

LaMarre has a .630 BABIP in 42 PA this spring.

Seems sustainable.
  • Shane Wahl, James, Danchat and 4 others like this

#50 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Why does anyone care about freaking ST stats? Good lord.

• Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#51 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Molitor indicates that LaMarre has made swing changes that have lead to his spring training success. That's exactly what JD Martinez and Logan Morrison have done recently. If LaMarre is producing now, it doesn't matter what his historical stats are. What he's doing NOW is what the Twins should look at to make their decision. The guy is batting almost .500 in a healthy number of spring training at bats. That's incredible and not something easily dismissed. Sometimes a tiny adjustment or whatever just makes it click for a player.

The difference between Martinez and LaMarre is that Martinez had a track record of success in both the majors and minors before making a tweak that took him from very good to MVP level.

As for Morrison, I think the jury is still out as to whether his changes will result in sustained success or if it was a 1-year thing. I'm hopeful it's the former, but it could just as easily be the latter. But again, at least at times in the minors, Morrison flashed the tool that keeps him in an MLB lineup.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#52 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Comparing Lamarre to Burroughs seems weird.  Burroughs was a former #9 overall draft pick and a bit of a lottery ticket.Lamarre is a journeyman who has had an interesting career with lots of ups and downs.  

Edited by clutterheart, 25 March 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#53 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

Why does anyone care about freaking ST stats? Good lord.

Yeah. He's making a fantastic showing in spring training. But so did Park and he ended up back in Korea after a poor year in the minors. 

It's nice to have optimism that he's turned the corner, but we also need to keep expectations in check, especially with that absurdly high Babip. 

• Danchat likes this

#54 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Sorry to harp on the need for a middle infielder but right now the Twins have the following options for OF:

Buxton
Rosario
Kepler
Grossman
Garver
Adrianza
Morrison (emergency)

and the following options for middle infield

Dozier
Escobar
Adrianza
Rosario? (emergency)

They are one nagging three day injury (that doesn't call for the DL) to Escobar, Adrianza, Sano or Dozier to starting a game with Rosario as the backup middle infielder. How is it not a priority to get a middle infielder? How can they even be thinking about another outfielder? What did Erick Aybar do to get cut?

Adrianza, Garver, and Morrison are all emergency outfielders. Grossman is almost emergency at this point. If Granite is hurt, you gotta have somebody...

Agreed on middle infield, they are thin there too, but at least Adrianza is a pretty good SS. Two bat only guys on the bench could bite them.

Edited by Sconnie, 25 March 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#55 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

If he makes the roster, how many times will he pitch this year?

• Shane Wahl and caninatl04 like this

#56 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Let me preface this by saying I don't really care who the 4th OF is because unless there's an injury their biggest job is to keep the bench warm. I lean Granite, but I'd be fine if it were Lamarre.

As others have mentioned, Grossman was thought of the same way Lamarre is right now and he's had two good seasons with the bat now. Did any of us expect a combined 115 wRC+ out of Grossman? Think that's an easy no. I wouldn't have even expected the 100 he put up last year, even though he was close one year with the Astros with less power and fewer walks. Maybe Lamarre can do the same, but with better defense?

We type posts about wanting to find the next Kluber. Why can't we want/find that for hitters too? There's never a guarantee that you'll get one but doesn't hurt to try. Some of these surprise guys have needed just one tweak and it's elevated them like someone else mentioned. Lamarre probably needs more than one, but you just never know.

It's hard to go by past results with Lamarre because he said he was always changing his swing to be like other players. You can't have sustained results if you're messing with your swing as much as he says he was. Lamarre may be something. He may be nothing. Rowson has done a good job with our hitters so far. Maybe he can with him too. Rosario, Buxton and Kepler are always going to get the majority of the AB's so to me it really doesn't matter who's keeping the bench warm. If it's Lamarre, great. If not, great.
  • gagu likes this

#57 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,939 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

I'd likely lean that way too, though I can see the logic about keeping Granite in AAA and calling him up when someone is inevitably hurt. 

It's probably worth noting that LaMarre was a 2nd round pick, destroyed the NCAA, and is a CF, not a corner OF. A .720 OPS out of a CF isn't all that bad. It's not stellar, but if the defense is good, that's fine. If Lamarre can play above average defense at any position, I'm quite fine with that as a 5th OF, with Granite getting the call when there's an injury. 

I certainly like the excitement of the hot spring, but this is firmly in SSS territory, so yeah, I think the skeptics have a right to be skeptical here, though if has reinvented himself, he's going to have the opportunity to show it. I don't mind it. I really don't think the tradeoff between Lamarre and Granite is going to amount to anything. 

• gagu likes this

#58 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Go get Trayce Thompson.

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#59 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

They might want Granite to be playing every day to start the season.

Why? He's a backup as long as the big three are here, and there are guys on his tail.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

LaMarre has a .630 BABIP in 43 PA this spring.

Totally sustainable.... Not a small sample size at all compared to over seven years of earlier data....
  • HitInAPinch and jud6312 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, paul molitor