Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Ryan LaMarre Just Might Make Twins Opening Day Roster

ryan lamarre paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:10 AM

Reality isn't always fun. And his track record - in MLB and recent stops at AAA don't indicate any different than the Burroughs example.

It's a nice story, but with this roster and this team, there is no reason to believe that he would make the roster because it's a nice story. Do people really think the manage and the front office would make decisions because of that? If they feel like they can make the roster better if he's on it, then they're going to. If not, he won't be.I'll trust their judgment. If nothing else, this front office has shown it isn't afraid to "make mistakes." 

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer and 5 others like this

#22 Tk33

Tk33

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:59 AM

It is a nice story.  And if the team puts him on the 40 man because they think he gives us the best chance, that would be great.

What amazes me it that so many comments focus on our goal to win this year and crap on LaMarre because he is just a "story".  Are we that far removed from losing 100 games that we can't see a story like this and smile?  To me, the personal stories like this are what makes baseball fun.  It gets you invested not in just the results, but the players themselves.

Good luck to LaMarre.  I hope he finds a place, in MN or elsewhere, to stick and contribute.

• Seth Stohs, luckylager, Jerr and 15 others like this

#23 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 615 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:12 AM

It is a nice story.  And if the team puts him on the 40 man because they think he gives us the best chance, that would be great.

What amazes me it that so many comments focus on our goal to win this year and crap on LaMarre because he is just a "story".  Are we that far removed from losing 100 games that we can't see a story like this and smile?  To me, the personal stories like this are what makes baseball fun.  It gets you invested not in just the results, but the players themselves.

Good luck to LaMarre.  I hope he finds a place, in MN or elsewhere, to stick and contribute.

Who doesn't love a guy finally making good after years of busting his tail. He's looked legitimately good this spring and honestly it hasn't even been that small of a sample size.

#24 Cbell67

Cbell67

Elizabethton Twins

• 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

Been following LaMarre since his college days. This isn't just a nice story. He has just never been given a real chance when he gets called up. He has the talent to be at the major league level. Defense is way above avg, excellent speed (stole 55 bases one year in minors) and has alot of pop in his bat. Had the Reds not let him go after 2015, he most likely would have gotten his chance there after the kind of outfield they ended up with due to trades and injuries. If the Twins don't sign him to the big league club they are crazy. He has hustle, desire, and plays to win. If you don't sign LaMarre, how do you as a team look players in the eye in the future and tell them they have a chance? WITH the numbers he has produced he has earned a spot
  • glunn, Dantes929, NapoleonComplex and 8 others like this

#25 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

Who doesn't love a guy finally making good after years of busting his tail. He's looked legitimately good this spring and honestly it hasn't even been that small of a sample size.

its “battle your tail off” - gotta invoke the Gardyisms when writing about a scrappy 4th/5th outfielder ala Lew Ford or utility infielder ala Nick Punto :)

All joking aside, it’s a fun story and I’d like to see Lamarre succeed. What if the change is real and he’s a late bloomer? Granite could use a little seasoning, and depth is great for the trade deadline.
  • Twins33, jun, gagu and 4 others like this

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,675 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Great story. And he may be nothing more than a career milb journeyman with a good ST story. Or, he could be a late bloomer who has indeed changed something in his swing.

But your 25 man roster isn't always your best or most talented players. Sometimes you need that 3rd catcher, extra utility guy or additional LOOGY. I'd prefer an extra utility guy with Polanco out. Could still happen. Molitor seems to feel he wants a 5th OF which leaves the final position spot to Granite or LaMarre. Is Granite going to be ready? Should he play every day at AAA, for now at least? Is LaMarre's RH bat more useful for now? It all plays in to the final decision.
  • Jerr, LA VIkes Fan, gbg and 3 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,840 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

It is a nice story. And if the team puts him on the 40 man because they think he gives us the best chance, that would be great.

What amazes me it that so many comments focus on our goal to win this year and crap on LaMarre because he is just a "story". Are we that far removed from losing 100 games that we can't see a story like this and smile? To me, the personal stories like this are what makes baseball fun. It gets you invested not in just the results, but the players themselves.

Good luck to LaMarre. I hope he finds a place, in MN or elsewhere, to stick and contribute.

How many cute ST stories are sticking on the 25 man for Cleveland, New York, Boston, Seattle, and LA?

Obviously I'm not down there every day to see the adjustments he's made, and if it's legit or a fluke.

If they found a 5th OF out of no where, more power to them. As a stat geek, there's nothing in his past history that suggests he'll be a successful MLB player IMO.
  • USAFChief likes this

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,622 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

Grossman has performed poorly and made strange comments in interviews like he only needs ten at bats in spring training to be ready for the regular season. Grossman has had way more than ten at bats so far and the 0-fers he keeps putting up indicate he's not anywhere near ready for the regular season.

It might have been just Karma following his quote about needing ten AB, but he went a comical 0-10 (or thereabout) to start Spring Training. Taking that away, his stats have shown a much more presentable .310 BA, with enough walks (.394 OBP) and extra-bases (.448 SLG) to suggest he's as ready as other years.

All appearances count, but I prefer recent trends where there is a sharp divide.

That aside, Spring Training numbers count for very little in the first place, and this much slicing and dicing isn't especially sound.

Bottom line, I'm not a big Grossman fan and would be happy if someone else proves to be a better alternative, but I don't think it's necessary to overplay the ineptitude. His Spring numbers aren't a reason by themselves to look for a change.

• glunn and Dantes929 like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#29 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I don't get the need for a 5th OF and I really see a need for a middle infielder. I gotta think the Twins are eyeing someone they think another team might cut.

• Sconnie, HitInAPinch, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#30 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

I think Granite's injury send him back to AAA.So, to me that leaves LaMarre-Vargas. For some reason Granite was in play which to me means Grossman was not going to see the outfield. To me LaMarre, Vargas, Graver, Adrianza is your best Bench. Outfielder, Power Bat, Catcher, Outfielder. I still would drop Enns off the Roster for LaMarre regardless of him making the team.The Cave pick-up still is a little bit of a head scratcher. We'll see. Any way this is a good team and a better team then last year with lot of talent in the Miniors ready to go.  

#31 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

How many cute ST stories are sticking on the 25 man for Cleveland, New York, Boston, Seattle, and LA?

Obviously I'm not down there every day to see the adjustments he's made, and if it's legit or a fluke.

If they found a 5th OF out of no where, more power to them. As a stat geek, there's nothing in his past history that suggests he'll be a successful MLB player IMO.

Grossman came out of nowhere too and has been a valuable member of the Twins the past few years. I don't see someone better to keep - Granite should play every day, Vargas doesn't fit any positional need and the Twins evidently feel totally okay with just Adrianza as a backup IF so why not this guy? Odds are no one they pick is finishing out April in the role.

#32 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

Sorry to harp on the need for a middle infielder but right now the Twins have the following options for OF:

Buxton
Rosario

Kepler

Grossman

Garver

Adrianza

Morrison (emergency)

and the following options for middle infield

Dozier

Escobar

Adrianza

Rosario? (emergency)

They are one nagging three day injury (that doesn't call for the DL) to Escobar, Adrianza, Sano or Dozier to starting a game with Rosario as the backup middle infielder. How is it not a priority to get a middle infielder? How can they even be thinking about another outfielder? What did Erick Aybar do to get cut?

Edited by ThejacKmp, 25 March 2018 - 08:34 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#33 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

I've seen variations of this many times in the past such as "No team that is a serious contender would ever have a place for a guy like Nick Punto or Drew Butera" and then they move on and make teams that win championships. In fact, I thinkmost teams do have that kind of guy or even a few of that guy.I am not advocating for LaMarre based on the cute story. If he is above average defense and if he is a good base runner then that potentially has value any given day in the late innings.If you want a right handed pinch hitter for Kepler, even if it is Grossman then you still want LaMarre in as defense. If the roster is constructed a certain way he may fit in with his skill set and he may not.Most reserves have flaws or they wouldn't be reserves. Granite might be a better reserve but if they want him playing every day as the insurance against a regular getting hurt then it makes sense to have someone else as a reserve with the Twins. 

I agree with you completely about questioning whether he is a fluke or legit. I like the ideas of guys reinventing themselves and the light turning on even in the late 20's but the ST training stats themselves should be taken with a grain of salt.I am reasonably sure he is not a true 1.307 OPS guy. If he is sent down it will be interesting to see what he does in the minors.

• Jerr, big dog, gbg and 2 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,840 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Grossman came out of nowhere too and has been a valuable member of the Twins the past few years. I don't see someone better to keep - Granite should play every day, Vargas doesn't fit any positional need and the Twins evidently feel totally okay with just Adrianza as a backup IF so why not this guy? Odds are no one they pick is finishing out April in the role.

That's fair to say. Grossman had a better minor league track record compared to LaMarre (.770 OPS vs. .714 OPS) Still, there wasn't anything to indicate he'd be an .800+ OPS player and he did just that in 2016.

I agree with you on seeing a need for a middle IF over a 5th OF. We'll see if there's someone intriguing enough to pick up.
  • HitInAPinch likes this

#35 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,467 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Ryan LaMarre's role shouldn't be making the team as their 5th outfielder.If he can hit as well as Grossman, with a bit more power, and run and field similar to Granite, shouldn't he be their 4th outfielder?  

Send Granite down to play every day.Then at some point between now and next winter, decide between Grossman and Granite who you want in the organization next year. 

• Twins33, TNTwinsFan, gagu and 2 others like this

#36 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Elizabethton Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

This is probably going to read in a negative way....

I'm not interested in cute spring training stories. This organization should be beyond that point.

If LaMarre can make an impact better than other players, great! There's nothing in his past history that indicates he'll be better than Grossman or the other bench players.

Thank You. I think we all had our fill of this over the last 5 years. 

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,299 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

I've seen variations of this many times in the past such as "No team that is a serious contender would ever have a place for a guy like Nick Punto or Drew Butera" and then they move on and make teams that win championships. In fact, I think most teams do have that kind of guy or even a few of that guy. I am not advocating for LaMarre based on the cute story. If he is above average defense and if he is a good base runner then that potentially has value any given day in the late innings. If you want a right handed pinch hitter for Kepler, even if it is Grossman then you still want LaMarre in as defense. If the roster is constructed a certain way he may fit in with his skill set and he may not. Most reserves have flaws or they wouldn't be reserves. Granite might be a better reserve but if they want him playing every day as the insurance against a regular getting hurt then it makes sense to have someone else as a reserve with the Twins.
I agree with you completely about questioning whether he is a fluke or legit. I like the ideas of guys reinventing themselves and the light turning on even in the late 20's but the ST training stats themselves should be taken with a grain of salt. I am reasonably sure he is not a true 1.307 OPS guy. If he is sent down it will be interesting to see what he does in the minors.

He has 2800 PAs in the minors. We already know what he'll do.

I sure wish the Twins had added a RH hitting OFer over the winter, but LaMarre ain't it.
  • Danchat, Vanimal46 and jud6312 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 330 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

lots of hard cases in the comments section today - the "I have higher expectations" crowd.If stories like this never happened I might get it, but they do - See Chris Coste.I hope for the best for every Twin minor leaguer and see no reason to crap on anybody's dreams on the internet.

• gbg, HitInAPinch, gagu and 5 others like this

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

I don’g get the continued calls for Granite to go down because he needs to play “everyday”.

He’s 25. He is OLDER than Max Kepler AND Byron Buxton and barely one year younger than Eddie Rosario. The only way he will ever be a regular starter for the Twins is if one of those 3 gets hurt or traded. And it is not at all certain that he would be next in line should that happen. So, what exactly is to be gained by having him play “everyday” when that is not likely to ever be his role as a Twin?

I’m not advocating that he should for sure be on the 25 man roster. Really don’t have a horse in the race as far as who the reserve reserve OFer should be. Just not understanding why some think there is something to be gained by sending Granite down to play everyday.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 25 March 2018 - 09:28 AM.

• USAFChief, Hosken Bombo Disco, HitInAPinch and 4 others like this

#40 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

I don’g get the continued calls for Granite to go down because he needs to play “everyday”.

He’s 25. He is OLDER than Max Kepler AND Byron Buxton and barely one year younger than Eddie Rosario. The only way he will ever be a regular starter for the Twins is if one of those 3 gets hurt or traded. And it is not at all certain that he would be next in line should that happen. So, what exactly is to be gained by having him play “everyday” when that is not likely to ever be his role as a Twin?

I’m not advocating that he should for sure be on the 25 man roster. Really don’t have a horse in the race as far as who the reserve reserve OFer should be. Just not understanding why some think there is something to be gained by sending Granite down to play everyday.

So he is a year older than guys that are really pretty young.  

He doesn't profile so well on some scouting sites but here is one take.

"According to KATOH, Zack Granite is the No. 6 prospect — not on the Twins, but in all of baseball. Yes, slappy, scrappy, little Zack Granite ranks ahead of famous sons Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., to drop a couple names, and 17 spots ahead of Royce Lewis, the Twins’ top prospect and the first overall pick in last year’s amateur draft. Baseball America and MLB Pipeline think there are 26 Twins prospects better than Granite; KATOH thinks there are only five superior prospects in the whole dang sport.

Here’s Mitchell’s explanation for why KATOH loves Zack Granite entering the 2018 season:

Granite’s back for his second tour of duty on the All-KATOH team, and frankly, his prospect case has only improved. He’s still a speed demon who plays elite center-field defense, which takes most of the pressure off of his bat. But more importantly, his offensive numbers took a huge step forward in 2017, as he hit a ridiculous .338/.392/.475 in Triple-A with an elite 11% strikeout rate. He’s also 6-foot-1, which some might find surprising given his style of play."

I truly believe he is the guy if one of our regulars goes down and I would rather him getting 20 at bats a week in the minors than 4 per week in the majors in preparation for that role. Judgement call.I am fine with him as the reserve outfielder also.

• glunn, Sconnie, HitInAPinch and 2 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, paul molitor