Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins with One Spot Left

minnesota twins gabriel moya tyler kinnley
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,761 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

LaMarre bats right handed but he has had better splits the last two years against right handed pitching.

Last year he was 7/40 against left handed pitching with no extra base hits, 4 walks and 14 strikeouts. Most of the at bats were in the hitter friendly PCL. He played more in 2016 and his OPS against right handed pitching was better 851 vs 752.

Granite also hits better against right handed pitching but his 822/781 differential is relatively neutral.

I don’t see how LaMarre’s batting right handed helps here. It should matter more how well he hits left handed pitching.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#22 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,223 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Still believe there is a chance both Moya and Kinley make the team.In that case. Taylor Rogers could be on his way to Rochester.

As for Granite needing to play every day, not certain.He may be close to what he will ever be...and that is a fourth or fifth outfielder.Maybe LaMarre should have the spot, or maybe someone else who isn't yet in the organization.

• Homer Hanky likes this

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

Still believe there is a chance both Moya and Kinley make the team. In that case. Taylor Rogers could be on his way to Rochester.

As for Granite needing to play every day, not certain. He may be close to what he will ever be...and that is a fourth or fifth outfielder. Maybe LaMarre should have the spot, or maybe someone else who isn't yet in the organization.

It would be pretty unusual for a veteran (and Rogers would actually be the longest consecutively tenured member of the pen) to lose his job in spring training. The Twins know who he faced this spring. I would guess he faced a lot of right handed hitters. He likely won’t face many with the game on the line in games that matter. Spring training numbers mean even less for relievers than for other players. They are just getting their work in. No regard is given to who they are brought in to face in ST. That isn’t the case in regular season. When Rogers comes into a close game it will almost always be with a lefty coming up next.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,067 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

LaMarre bats right handed but he has had better splits the last two years against right handed pitching.
Last year he was 7/40 against left handed pitching with no extra base hits, 4 walks and 14 strikeouts. Most of the at bats were in the hitter friendly PCL. He played more in 2016 and his OPS against right handed pitching was better 851 vs 752.
Granite also hits better against right handed pitching but his 822/781 differential is relatively neutral.
I don’t see how LaMarre’s batting right handed helps here. It should matter more how well he hits left handed pitching.

LaMarre’s problem isn’t splits, it’s that he’s not a good hitter against ANY pitching. He has over 2800 MiLB PAs with a .719 OPS.

On a side note, I also mistrust almost any “reverse platoon split.” There are small sample size examples, but the number of hitters who actually hit same handed pitching better over time is minuscule.

I will bet against those small sample size examples continuing every time, and I’ll win that bet almost every time.

The Twins could really have benefitted from bringing in a decent RH OF bat.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,761 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

LaMarre’s problem isn’t splits, it’s that he’s not a good hitter against ANY pitching. He has over 2800 MiLB PAs with a .719 OPS.
On a side note, I also mistrust almost any “reverse platoon split.” There are small sample size examples, but the number of hitters who actually hit same handed pitching better over time is minuscule.

The lack of platoon split is much more common for hitters like Granite and LaMarre that rely on speed and contact rather than driving the ball. Neither would make a good platoon on a corner or bench bat to hit against a left handed pitcher. I am hoping that Garver can be an effective late inning pinch hitter against a lefty reliever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, gabriel moya, tyler kinnley