Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Tyler Duffey, Alan Busenitz Optioned

tyler duffey alan busenitz phil hughes tyler kinley
  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reported this morning that Tyler Duffey and Alan Busenitz have been optioned to Triple-A Rochester, providing some clarity on who may fill out the Opening Day pitching staff. These cuts leave just 13 active pitchers remaining in Twins camp.Duffey has logged 262.0 innings for the Twins over the past three seasons, making 36 starts over the 2015-16 seasons before shifting to the bullpen for 56 appearances last season. He was being stretched out this spring, having pitched 12.2 innings over five official appearances.

Alan Busenitz was a pleasant surprise last season, pitching to a 1.99 ERA and 0.98 WHIP over 28 games with the Twins. He had a 7.27 ERA in nine games this spring, but also struck out 11 batters over 8.2 innings.

These moves seem to indicate that there is a very high likelihood that both Phil Hughes and Rule 5 pick Tyler Kinley will make the Opening Day roster.

Hughes is coming off his second thoracic outlet syndrome procedure, but he's owed $13.2 million this season and can refuse a minor league assignment. Kinley has only made eight appearances in Triple-A, but if he doesn't break camp with the Twins he would be offered back to the Miami Marlins.

For more on Kinley's chase to make the roster, check this article from Cody: Clock's Ticking: The Tyler Kinley Decision.

Click here to view the article
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

No surprise,You start the season with the Vets and rule 5 players.They get the first chance to fail.Then you bring up more talented younger players in May-June.  

• ashbury, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 12 others like this

#3 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,651 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Duffey and Busenitz did not grab the opportunity.Duffey had such a great start and then the league really figured him out.That is disappointing.Busenitz will be back up. Kinley and Hughes are disappointments and Hughes certainly did not perform great this spring, but that contract guarantees him more opportunities than most and Kinley represents the FO - if they choose someone they are going to make sure that person gets a good long look.Just so they do not look too long, we have a pennant to pursue and that means the best players on the roster, not fringed obligations. 

• DocBauer, Doomtints, HitInAPinch and 3 others like this

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,472 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Duffey to me is marginal, so no big deal.Busenitz did not deserve this, but it is the game that all teams play.He will be back, just hope it does not cost too many games to find this out.Hard to believe the Twins are going to carry two blowout game type relievers to start the year, one would be plenty.

I guess after Bard looks to make the Angels, it would look very bad for Kinley to fail.

• caninatl04 likes this

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,873 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Not a huge deal since April rosters are rarely the best 25 players. What's the plan with Duffey - is he a starter? Swingman? Reliever? It'll be interesting to see how the play him in AAA.

• SQUIRREL, HitInAPinch, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#6 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Front offices have been returning several Rule V picks in recent days. I have full confidence that this FO will do the same if needed based on performance, and will not persist in putting their head in the sand hoping to somehow save face. According to the teams evaluators, Kinley and Moya have outperformed Busenitz and/or present higher upside.
  • nicksaviking, kab21, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,472 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Problem with some of this approach is that you are punishing players who have been in the majors before, for working on something new (especially pitchers).Some may not even realize their job is on the line.Have no big problem with this if it is communicated to the players involved.Do not know if Busenitz was working on some different things and then got optioned, rather than using what he had and looking good.

• h2oface likes this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,134 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

No surprise,You start the season with the Vets and rule 5 players.They get the first chance to fail.Then you bring up more talented younger players in May-June.  

If that were the case Duffey will be there ahead of Hildenberger and Moya, since he is the veteran and not these 2.

This round of cuts means that at least one of Kinley and Moya will open the season with the big team.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,899 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Maybe Duffey can finally work on getting a 3rd pitch down in Rochester. His curve had lost it's effectiveness the past two years because he was a one trick pony.

With his assignment and with so many harder throwing young guys, Duffey might be near the top of the list of most likely to be removed from the 40-man.

Hope he gets that 3rd pitch. 

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, jimbo92107 and 8 others like this

#10 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Problem with some of this approach is that you are punishing players who have been in the majors before, for working on something new (especially pitchers). Some may not even realize their job is on the line. Have no big problem with this if it is communicated to the players involved. Do not know if Busenitz was working on some different things and then got optioned, rather than using what he had and looking good.

One would assume Falvine knows. That’s who made the decision to option him out.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

Not sure I understand what Buesnitz would have had to do last year to show he's better than Kinley, who put up worse numbers in the miinors than Alan didin the majors.....Are they trying to win this year, or not?

• beckmt, Oldgoat_MN, h2oface and 5 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 BK432

BK432

• 273 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

If Phil Hughes can't stick, I wonder if the Twins outright release him. Would be an expensive pill to swallow, but not sure what options they'll have other than if he suffers another season-ending injury.

#13 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

Duffey and Busenitz did not grab the opportunity.Duffey had such a great start and then the league really figured him out.That is disappointing. 

Much like Scot Diamond back in the day, I think it is less a matter of the league figuring Duffey out and more a case of him just not pitching as well now as he did then..Back then he was hitting corners with a tailing fastball and his curve ball was as good as anyone's. Since then his fastball has been erratic and his curve ball still breaks a lot but not quite as sharply or on as much of a downward plane according to my eye test. 

I think Busenitz deserves a spot.28 appearances in the majors should trump 8 innings of ST ball. On the surface it looks like a lousy decision but all we see is the surface.

• beckmt, h2oface, mikelink45 and 1 other like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,566 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

Busenitz is better than those guys, but whatever.
  • beckmt, h2oface, notoriousgod71 and 2 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#15 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,195 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

Not sure I understand what Buesnitz would have had to do last year to show he's better than Kinley, who put up worse numbers in the miinors than Alan didin the majors.....Are they trying to win this year, or not?

Not. They are trying to not win this year.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, James and 3 others like this

#16 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 143 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Hildy and Rogers were equally bad
This excuse that they were working on stuff is a joke

#17 Blackjack

Blackjack

• 949 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

I hope this is sarcasm....

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,899 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

I'd think all the free agency moves indicate they are.

With all the new vets in the pen whomever gets the last spot is almost certainly going to be used exclusively in low leverage situations. I don't see the problem with keeping the Rule V guy.

And I'm a big Busenitz guy. Nothing against Rodney, Reed or Duke, but I'm excited for the big young arms take their jobs and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

• beckmt and 70charger like this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

I did greatly enjoy this reply, btw.

• birdwatcher, HitInAPinch and dbminn like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

I'd think all the free agency moves indicate they are.

With all the new vets in the pen whomever gets the last spot is almost certainly going to be used exclusively in low leverage situations. I don't see the problem with keeping the Rule V guy.

And I'm a big Busenitz guy. Nothing against Rodney, Reed or Duke, but I'm excited for the big young arms take their jobs and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

I agree, making the decision to not keep Busenitz up more puzzling to me.

Kinley does not have enough upside, compared to how easy it is to find RP on the market, or convert starters, to waste a 25 man spot on him for the year. And if he's only used in wasted games, they'll never really know if he is. There are only 25 spots....a playoff contendor should not be wasting one, or two, if you count Hughes....

• ken, KirbyDome89 and Dave The Dastardly like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler duffey, alan busenitz, phil hughes, tyler kinley