Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Jorge Polanco Receives 80-Game Suspension For PED

jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

FT. MYERS - According to the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, Twins shortstop Jorge Polanco has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball. According to the report, Polanco has been suspended for testing positive for Stanozolol.

The suspension will start at the beginning of the season. Below you will find a statement from the Twins and from Jorge Polanco.The Twins have issued a statement.

"We were disappointed to learn of the suspension of Jorge Polanco for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. We fully support Major League Baseball’s policy and its efforts to eliminate performance enhancing substances from our game. Per the protocol outlined in the Joint Drug Program, the Minnesota Twins will not comment further on this matter."

Jorge Polanco issued his own statement upon the release of the news:

Today, I have regretfully accepted my 80-game suspension for testing positive for Stanozolol. To be clear, I did not intentionally consume this steroid. I now know, however, that my intention alone is not a good enough excuse and I will pay the price for my error in judgment. The substance that I requested from my athletic trainer in the Dominican Republic and consented to take was a combination of vitamin B12 and an iron supplement, something that is not unusual or illegal for professional athletes to take. Unfortunately, what I was given was not that supplement and I take full responsibility for what is in my body.

Every bone in my body wants to appeal this suspension but out of respect for Derek Falvey, Thad Levine, Paul Molitor, my coaches, my teammates, and the entire Twins organization, I have decided to withdraw my request to appeal and will begin serving my suspension immediately. My hope is that through this extremely disappointing situation other players will learn from my mistake.

I hope that those who have believed in me, those within the Twins organization, my teammates, and the fans in Minnesota and in the Dominican Republic will accept my sincere apology. I will continue to train hard every day in the hopes of being able to contribute to winning baseball games with the Twins later this year.

The news is very tough for the Twins and their fans. Polanco provided about two Wins Above Replacement last year. He hit .256/.313/.410 (.723) while playing better than expected defense at shortstop. The 24-year-old was especially strong the last two months of the season, After August 1st, he hit .316/.377/.553 (.931) with 15 doubles, ten homers and 42 RBI over the final 55 Twins games.

The suspension opens up the possibility for Erick Aybar to make the Opening Day roster and potentially compete with Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza for innings at shortstop.

Tomorrow morning, Polanco and Twins CBO Derek Falvey will be available to discuss the suspension.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn likes this

#2 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Good luck for Aybar, I’d guess. Escobar might see some reps at 6 too? Never good news to lose a player for half a season, but of all the players to lose, Polanco is probably among the most expendable.
  • caninatl04 likes this

#3 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

So if/when Sano gets suspended the left side could be Esco and Aybar? Woof.

• bighat and caninatl04 like this

#4 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Good luck for Aybar, I’d guess. Escobar might see some reps at 6 too? Never good news to lose a player for half a season, but of all the players to lose, Polanco is probably among the most expendable.

Not the way he played at the end of last year...

• bighat, sloopjont and Nine of twelve like this

#5 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

So, when does Polanco's 40-man roster spot open up?In other words, do the Twins need to hold Polanco's roster spot until the beginning of the season, meaning they'd have to cut someone else on the 40 now in order to put Aybar on the 40?

#6 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,279 posts

This sucks. I'll give Polanco the benefit of the doubt and believe his story, but if this is really the case teams really need to start doing a better job of monitoring who these guys are working with in the offseason and what they're putting into their bodies.

You're a professional athlete. It's not a mystery what substances are and are not legal. Get it together. 

• Carole Keller, Jerr, gil4 and 11 others like this

#7 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

If you want to take B-12 and an iron supplement, then go to the damn drug store and buy it yourself. Don't trust anyone else.
  • Carole Keller, Jerr, BD57 and 10 others like this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,449 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Same substance that Ervin Santana tested positive.Not sure that Aybar is an automatic to make the team, since both Adrianza and Escobar can play SS.This means that Erick Aybar, Jake Cave, Zack Granite, Robbie Grossman, and potentially even Ryan Lamarre or Brock Stassi fighting for 2 positions.  

The suspension opens a 40-man spot until mid-season as well that opens the possibility to be filled from outside the roster.

Not many free agents left out there, but the Twins are looking for a home for Kennys Vargas as well...

SS Adeiny Hechavarria currently of the Rays is owed $5.9 million for 2018.Might be a trade that benefits both.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

In addition to the 80 game suspension, Polanco will not be eligible for the postseason if the Twins make it. Gonna need someone to step up in his place.

#10 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Not the way he played at the end of last year...

If you believe that Polanco’s second half was sustainable and indicitave of the future, then it’s a big loss. I don’t believe that, but I’d be glad to be wrong.

Plus, there are decent (not great) options to replace him. Given my expected output for Polanco and the options to replace him, I’d rather see him gone for 80 games rather than pretty much all other position players.
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

#11 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Can JJ Hardy still play a little or is he still pissed at the twins?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#12 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

If you believe that Polanco’s second half was sustainable and indicitave of the future, then it’s a big loss. I don’t believe that, but I’d be glad to be wrong.

Plus, there are decent (not great) options to replace him. Given my expected output for Polanco and the options to replace him, I’d rather see him gone for 80 games rather than pretty much all other position players.

I think he's talented.I think he's a legit major league starting player.But one has to wonder how much he was helped by what he was taking?

• Kwak likes this

#13 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,622 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

This sucks. I'll give Polanco the benefit of the doubt and believe his story, but if this is really the case teams really need to start doing a better job of monitoring who these guys are working with in the offseason and what they're putting into their bodies.

You're a professional athlete. It's not a mystery what substances are and are not legal. Get it together. 

Not only that ... yet again ... it's someone from the DR. I'm not saying that in any kind of negative way, it's just a higher percentage of athletes from the DR that are the ones testing positive. If he needs a B12 and iron supplement, perhaps get it directly from the Twins.

• Jerr, caninatl04, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Aybar is not good. This is bad. We just can't have nice things as Minnesota fans
  • Twins33, Mike Frasier Law, jud6312 and 1 other like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#15 olivia11

olivia11

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Any chance the Twins try and trade for Jurickson Profar? 

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,622 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Defensively, isn't Adrianza supposed to be, uh, good? I'd guess he would be the main replacement at SS with Esco jumping in?

That said, Polanco has been having a rough spring, lots of errors so far. Maybe this time off gives him time to get it together. I've never been that high on him as a full-time SS but where do you go from here at this point?

• Kevin, Platoon, rdehring and 1 other like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#17 Tommygun921

Tommygun921

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Can't you buy iron and B-12 supplements at Walmart?? Gotta be smarter than that. Does someone need to be removed from the 40 man or does his suspension open a spot?

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Wow. Terrible news. Very disappointed in Polanco. 

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#19 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,115 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

IMO there is zero possibility he didn't know what he was taking.

None.
  • Han Joelo, Blake, Jerr and 9 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#20 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

IMO there is zero possibility he didn't know what he was taking.
None.

I agree, this is the same substance most Domincan players are caught with. Clearly not an iron supplement. Also important to note that the teams have supplements that they know are ok and are available for the players. They don’t need to get them from anyone in the DR.
  • USAFChief, Jerr, beckmt and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco