Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Ervin Santana Can't Make a Fist or Grip a Baseball Post-Surgery

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Not exactly promising. The Twins may need that 5th starter longer than they expect.

https://www.twinciti...l-post-surgery/
  • glunn, Oxtung and Sconnie like this

#2 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Not exactly promising. The Twins may need that 5th starter longer than they expect.

UGH!

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

UGH!

concur
  • yarnivek1972 likes this

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Did you actually read the article? I found the title a bit misleading since reading this quote:

“It’s just exercise right now,” Santana, the Twins’ top starter the past three seasons, said Sunday morning. “We just take it one day at a time. The good thing is each day we see progress.”

Yeah, I'm concerned. But I think returning by the end of April was an optimistic prognosis to begin with.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Did you actually read the article? I found the title a bit misleading since reading this quote:
“It’s just exercise right now,” Santana, the Twins’ top starter the past three seasons, said Sunday morning. “We just take it one day at a time. The good thing is each day we see progress.”

Yeah, I'm concerned. But I think returning by the end of April was an optimistic prognosis to begin with.

I also thought that was optimistic, that he'd likely need a lengthy rehab stint extending well into May.
But, I was sternly informed by TD staff that I was wrong.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

I did. How is the title misleading? He can't make a fist or grip a baseball right now.

I concur the original timeline for his return is optimistic.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

I also thought that was optimistic, that he'd likely need a lengthy rehab stint extending well into May.
But, I was sternly informed by TD staff that I was wrong.

No, you weren't. People disagreed. It happens. And sometimes posters are the minority. People want to believe in the more optimistic outcome. So be it. But you were not informed that you were wrong. And I'm part of TD, so is van, and we think that was optimistic as well. So you aren't alone.

• Brock Beauchamp, ashburyjohn and Bill Tanner like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Now, Berardino didn't specify whether Santana is ahead or behind schedule in the original timeline of 10-12 weeks.

If others that had this surgery in the past weren't able to make a fist 6 weeks after the procedure, then it's much ado about nothing.
  • Carole Keller, Blake, Dantes929 and 4 others like this

#9 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

I did. How is the title misleading? He can't make a fist or grip a baseball right now.

I concur the original timeline for his return is optimistic.

How about ... 'Santana is making progress, yet still hasn't gripped a ball'

<shrug>

I think the original title doesn't tell the whole story, only the worst of the story.

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Now, Berardino didn't specify whether Santana is ahead or behind schedule in the original timeline of 10-12 weeks.

If others that had this surgery in the past weren't able to make a fist 6 weeks after the procedure, then it's much ado about nothing.

Yeah, that's the other thing ... I don't know where he should be at at this point. Is not being able to make a fist and grip a ball behind the original timeline? Santana said progress is being made and he's being patient ... I just don't know.

As I said, I'm concerned, but I wasn't optimistic about the timeline to begin with.

• Blake, Twins33 and Vanimal46 like this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, that's the other thing ... I don't know where he should be at at this point. Is not being able to make a fist and grip a ball behind the original timeline? Santana said progress is being made and he's being patient ... I just don't know.

As I said, I'm concerned, but I wasn't optimistic about the timeline to begin with.

Hopefully resident surgeon Heezy stops by to explain it to us simpletons.
  • Carole Keller, Blake, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

• Members
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Hopefully resident surgeon Heezy stops by to explain it to us simpletons.

while I’m in no way shape or form qualified, generally spring training is 6 weeks long for pitchers, and generally those pitchers can grip a baseball when they show up. Early May isn’t looking good...

I would also be curious to hear Heezy’s opinion of what kind of timeline he might expect from here.
  • Carole Keller, Heezy1323 and Vanimal46 like this

#13 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

This is the type of soreness I would expect after this type of surgery.

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

• Members
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

This is the type of soreness I would expect after this type of surgery.

with no details it’s hard to say, but generally I agree. I’m not concerned, but reality is, whatever prompted that original timeline, it doesn’t look very realistic. I’m not panicked, just saying all the other stuff with Hughes/Mejia/Duffey and the 5th spot in the rotation and swing man seems like it’s going to have a further looking lens than the previous view.

Into mid May or further, brings a higher likelihood that another starter has an injury. How do you keep quality depth and keep your prospects on their development plans?
  • Carole Keller and Doomtints like this

#15 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

with no details it’s hard to say, but generally I agree. I’m not concerned, but reality is, whatever prompted that original timeline, it doesn’t look very realistic. I’m not panicked, just saying all the other stuff with Hughes/Mejia/Duffey and the 5th spot in the rotation and swing man seems like it’s going to have a further looking lens than the previous view.

Into mid May or further, brings a higher likelihood that another starter has an injury. How do you keep quality depth and keep your prospects on their development plans?

Yeah ... I see that whoever ends up in AAA ... we are going to need 2 or 3 of them sooner rather than later.

• Sconnie likes this

#16 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

Misleading sensationalism in the headline, leading you to believe they may have some info other outlets don't. Journalism 101. Reading into anymore than that is a little ridiculous.

Your body tends to ache and react poorly to being cut open and tinkered with. This is the expected outcome.

This just in, it's cold during January in Minnesota (EVERYONE PANIC! ITS AN ICE AGE! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?!)
  • diehardtwinsfan and Dantes929 like this

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

I'm still optimistic about the time line. What was said in the article that makes anyone less optimistic?How much time does he need once his hand feels good? 30-35 days? We are still 14 days or more from where that clock starts for an early May return.There is no context to this story.Maybe he's a week ahead of schedule because others that have had the surgery wouldn't have even been doing the hour of exercises yet. Progress each day might mean he is light throwing in 3 days and hard throwing in 10.Of course to be fair maybe others have had the swelling down after a month but who knows?Its kind of silly to draw any conclusions at this point.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Frankly, I'm a little concerned that he'll ever be able to throw the slider effectively after this injury.
Isn't this the finger that is most active in gripping the slider?

As to timeline, like others, I'm no expert, but just as an uneducated opinion, I'd say he's going to be behind if he's not already throwing off a mound.
He hasn't pitched in almost 6 months. I'd think he'd need roughly a month of game action to be ready to start a mlb game. So he'd need to go from not being able to grip a ball, to pitching in a rehab start in 2 weeks? I'm not convinced that's realistic.
  • Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

I mean, Lynn might not even be ready for opening day, and he's coming off a healthy off-season, he just missed a couple of weeks of formal ST.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,534 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

I mean, Lynn might not even be ready for opening day, and he's coming off a healthy off-season, he just missed a couple of weeks of formal ST.

Has something been said about Lynn I haven't seen? Because the guy threw three innings in his first and only ST start thus far. That's over halfway to a typical early season start and he doesn't need to pitch an MLB game for another 10-ish days.

• howieramone2 likes this