Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Minor Leaguers and Minimum Wage

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#161 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,338 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

You have to be really passionate about what you're doing to make that little of money... I don't know how you can survive on less than $100 every two weeks.

#162 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,754 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

You have to be really passionate about what you're doing to make that little of money... I don't know how you can survive on less than $100 every two weeks.

You can't. It's one reason poor people play less baseball, they don't see it as an opportunity like the NFL or NBA.

• Vanimal46 likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#163 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,338 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

You can't. It's one reason poor people play less baseball, they don't see it as an opportunity like the NFL or NBA.

And they would be right about that. Trying to progress through 5 levels of competitive baseball in hopes of playing MLB baseball for $525k is a steep hill to climb.

It blows my mind seeing that check in the Yahoo link Levi shared. I made more money working part time in college than they do. And I was broke throughout college...
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#164 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

And they would be right about that. Trying to progress through 5 levels of competitive baseball in hopes of playing MLB baseball for $525k is a steep hill to climb.

It blows my mind seeing that check in the Yahoo link Levi shared. I made more money working part time in college than they do. And I was broke throughout college...

It doesn't look to me like that check was actually for "two weeks" though.

The YTD are all the same as the pay period, so clearly this is the first pay check of the year.
The "regular" pay rate says 550.00, so my uneducated guess is that this check was only actually for about 1/3rd of a two week pay period.
  • Vanimal46 likes this