Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor Leaguers and Minimum Wage

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,584 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

https://www.twinciti...ens-operations/

We've had a lot of discussion about how the minor leaguers often do not earn a livable wage. Wouldn't it be great if a minimum wage law by Minnesota forces the issue? I wouldn't want and wouldn't expect the Saints to fold, but they're the marquee team in the AA, make the league pay these players more.

Get the ball rolling and hopefully the bad press baseball gets for dragging it's feet carries over to the affiliated leagues which are bankrolled by actual billionaires.

• Celebrity Weddings! and ToddlerHarmon like this

#2 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

Independent teams/leagues would seem to have a tougher time justifying an exemption based on "apprenticeship" than affiliated minor leagues would, it would seem.

Interesting twist, considering independent teams. The argument by MLB and its affiliates is tough enough to justify, but indy teams essentially just have, "because we don't want to."

• nicksaviking and ToddlerHarmon like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Was building them a stadium not enough?

For the most part the Saints are great. I'm also not opposed to subsidies, but when a business asks for multiple handouts it bothers me.

This reminds me of Cossettas.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

It kind of reminds me of my days doing summer stock. We worked our tails off to get a production up and running, often rehearsing 12-hour days (three 4-hour segments). But once the show was up, out time was pretty much our own as long as we hit curtian and still able to stand three hours later when the show ended. So we were basicallyworking 3-4 hours a nite...any other prep time was on our own. 40 years ago...got $100 a week. Yes, room and board included. But.......

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

We've had a lot of discussion about how the minor leaguers often do not earn a livable wage. Wouldn't it be great if a minimum wage law by Minnesota forces the issue? I wouldn't want and wouldn't expect the Saints to fold, but they're the marquee team in the AA, make the league pay these players more.

Get the ball rolling and hopefully the bad press baseball gets for dragging it's feet carries over to the affiliated leagues which are bankrolled by actual billionaires.

Wouldn't it be amazing if the players and the players union...you know...the union that fights for player's rights and salaries...the same players who themselves came up through the minor leagues...would fight for better wages than currently exist?
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, TheLeviathan and 8 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,841 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

Wouldn't it be amazing if the players and the players union...you know...the union that fights for player's rights and salaries...the same players who themselves came up through the minor leagues...would fight for better wages than currently exist?

Theres a lot of jabs thrown at ownership for being greedy, and rightfully so. But the MLB players union has some fault here also. They seem/are more interested in protecting the established players at all costs. They forget where they came from and how hard it was to get there. They are a microism of the "we worked hard to make it, you can to" bunch. Sooner or later there is going to be some kind of correction to the agreement between owners and players. Strike? Who knows. But it's going to be hard to choose a side, if the players union doesn't start to focus on all the players.
  • Blake, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 5 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

Theres a lot of jabs thrown at ownership for being greedy, and rightfully so. But the MLB players union has some fault here also. They seem/are more interested in protecting the established players at all costs. They forget where they came from and how hard it was to get there. They are a microism of the "we worked hard to make it, you can to" bunch. Sooner or later there is going to be some kind of correction to the agreement between owners and players. Strike? Who knows. But it's going to be hard to choose a side, if the players union doesn't start to focus on all the players.

Given that the union argues for minor leaguers, who don't get a vote, I'm a bit surprised that the MLBPA hasn't been sued. 

#8 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

The MLBPA does not fight for better wages for MiLB players because it would come out of the MLB player’s pockets.There is X amount of dollars available for player salaries. If Forbes is to be believed and I think that’s a credible source, the teams are spending those dollars except when they are in an obvious rebuild mode. There are players who individually make more than some of the teams every year. It cracks me up that the vast majority of fans put all the blame on the owners. Players and their agents have shown the players are out to get every dime they can get.Yet, somehow it’s only the owners that are greedy.

It would be great if the owners came out and stated the want to REALLOCATE $1.5M/year to payroll for minor league players. The major league minimum would not change so the only players impacted would be those in arbitration or beyond. If the average pay is 4.4M, I would guess the average pay for this segment of players is at least $6M year. If on average 15 of the 25 players on MLB rosters are in this group it would cost those players 100,000 year of 1.66 percent of their salary.

MLB pays their players 10 what Japanese players make which is the next highest paid league and the average pay of MLB players has tripled (after being adjusted for inflation) in the past 20 years.The player's association could have opted to include minor MiLB players in this tremendous increase in player wages and they chose not to do so. 

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 18 March 2018 - 06:16 AM.

• Sssuperdave and Respy like this

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,585 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

It cracks me up that the vast majority of fans put all the blame on the owners. Players and their agents have shown the players are out to get every dime they can get.Yet, somehow it’s only the owners that are greedy.

That's because, despite my penchant for playing armchair GM or owner, I'm willing to spend more of my green dollars to watch people throw, hit, and catch a baseball, than to watch someone optimize their balance sheet. :)

• wagwan, clutterheart, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,667 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

We've had a lot of discussion about how the minor leaguers often do not earn a livable wage. Wouldn't it be great if a minimum wage law by Minnesota forces the issue?

I am not aware of any Minor League teams in Minnesota...

The Twins have MiLB teams in Dominican Republic, FL (2), TN (2), and NY.

Unfortunately, I don't think that even a national minimum wage can solve the issue, since it is a job that compensation is based on a contract that two parties agree to and sign.

To solve the issue the MLB (and the MLB-players association that unfortunately does not represent minor leaguers) need to agree in the next CBA on minor leaguer compensation.But the MLBPA have "bigger" fish to fry and care only for the 10% of the players who make it to the majors.The rest are on their own.

• DocBauer and Broker like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

A healthy and viable minor league system increases interest in the game of baseball. One assumes that teams do pay the salaries of the 150+ players in development and the actual cost of running minor league teams (not owned outright by the majors) is the sole expense. I know the players do get a room/food allowance when on the road, but also covering some of the basic living expenses would also help (every team buy a motel and staff it, if nothing else). And then we also have the indie leagues, which pay even less, it seems. Yes, you don't overpay (although a percentage do get signing bonus money) because it is a weeding out process, especially the first two-three seasons. 

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

It's bad enough MLB is exempt from anti-trust laws, now Congress is about to pass a law exempting minor leagues from labor laws, basically.....

If this happens, and only MLB is asking for this, I'll stop watching and listening, other than maybe hte playoffs. It was nice talking to you all, but I can't support a business like this.

• gunnarthor and TheLeviathan like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#13 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,273 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

sigh :(

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#14 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

It is very hard to understand the MLB teams logic on this one. The total cost to give all their minor league players $1,000 more per month (currently lower level MILB players are paid $1,000-$1,400 per month based upon level and years in minors) is less than $1M a year. That would cover 175 MILB players for 5 months. Considering the amount of revenue MLB generates I would think they’d come up with $ to make this go away.

MLB players association, IMHO, also deserves a large share of the blame. They could force this to happen in labor negotiations. Again, it’s a pittance in comparison to MLB revenues and salaries. They all played in the minors but seem to have little regard for those who haven’t or won’t make it to MLB.
  • gunnarthor, gil4, Sssuperdave and 4 others like this

#15 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

MLB is something else. 

• gil4, Sssuperdave, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#16 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

US has the best government money can buy.

• gunnarthor, Hosken Bombo Disco, Captain Hindsight and 2 others like this

#17 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

I guess they are remaining true to their history,They were not exactly generous with even the major league players until they were forced into it.People might complain about how much the big league players ,make now, but if the people writing the checks had their way, the players would probably still need to get second jobs in the off season, be completely at the mercy of their team for the entirety of their career, and be desperate enough to be tempted to throw a world series.

• Sssuperdave, Hosken Bombo Disco and Captain Hindsight like this

#18 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

It would be great if the owners came out and stated the want to REALLOCATE $1.5M/year to payroll for minor league players. The major league minimum would not change so the only players impacted would be those in arbitration or beyond. If the average pay is 4.4M, I would guess the average pay for this segment of players is at least $6M year. If on average 15 of the 25 players on MLB rosters are in this group it would cost those players 100,000 year of 1.66 percent of their salary.

I think the players would agree if the owners agreed to a minimum salary cap.Players have been pushing for owners to open their books for a long time.  

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

I guess they are remaining true to their history,They were not exactly generous with even the major league players until they were forced into it.People might complain about how much the big league players ,make now, but if the people writing the checks had their way, the players would probably still need to get second jobs in the off season, be completely at the mercy of their team for the entirety of their career, and be desperate enough to be tempted to throw a world series.

I second that. Some of these one-year contracts this season have a faint whiff of the old reserve clause system.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#20 bean5302

bean5302

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, it's pretty abominable. Truly disgusting. MLB is basically trying to lobby congress for the exemption so they can avoid MiLB players having even have an opportunity to challenge the abusive pay structure.

https://www.abc15.co...s-spending-bill

Edited by bean5302, 19 March 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• SD Buhr likes this