Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

MLB chastising Judge for 'recruiting' Machado

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 chaderic20

chaderic20

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

So, Aaron Judge apparently told Manny Machado that he'd "look good in Pinstripes".And this apparently is a no-no according to MLB, claiming it's "tampering".Is it just me, or is that about one of the stupidest things MLB has said/done recently.Do they not think that players are constantly telling each other, "Hey, you should come play for us!"I mean, how often do you hear during the offseason that so-and-so is recruiting so-and-so to their team?Why is it suddenly a big no-no for Judge to say he'd like to play with Machado?And MLB wonders why they're losing their audience...

• Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and nytwinsfan like this

#2 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

I think this was just a move to protect themselves.I don't think the MLB really cares that much about this, but it was public and they were covering their a**.

• nicksaviking, Taildragger8791 and KirbyDome89 like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

I think this was just a move to protect themselves.I don't think the MLB really cares that much about this, but it was public and they were covering their a**.

Could be. Peter Angelos has been pretty dead set on keeping Machado away from the Yankees. He doesn't always seem to be a very reasonable man, he probably threw a stink and the commissioner is trying to appease him.

• SgtSchmidt11 likes this

#4 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

As much as I hate the Yankees, yes, this seems pretty dumb.

#5 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

It's one thing when you do it to entice a Free Agent. But Machado is not a Free Agent. That's where the tampering comes in.

• Thrylos likes this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

It's one thing when you do it to entice a Free Agent. But Machado is not a Free Agent. That's where the tampering comes in.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it may be, just that this stuff is pretty silly and next to impossible to police.

I can see where front offices and managers shouldn't be recruiting, but the players probably aren't taking a ton of HR classes to know what they can and can't say. I can't imagine the numerous legal and league violations that have been committed between a 1st baseman and the base-runner standing on first throughout the years.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

Do you there know the Yankees would/ could go after both Machado AND Harper? Ugh
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#8 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

I don't think anyone would disagree that it may be, just that this stuff is pretty silly and next to impossible to police.

I can see where front offices and managers shouldn't be recruiting, but the players probably aren't taking a ton of HR classes to know what they can and can't say. I can't imagine the numerous legal and league violations that have been committed between a 1st baseman and the base-runner standing on first throughout the years.

Great line. So true.

• nicksaviking likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#9 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

Do you there know the Yankees would/ could go after both Machado AND Harper? Ugh

I just don't see Harper going to the Yankees. That clean shaven, keep your mouth shut look and attitude that is expected from the Yankee players gives the feel that they were all stamped out at the same boring factory.

Even Torii Hunter would have annoyed the Yankee FO. I can't see Harper doing that. 

Of course, the biggest stage along with the highest pay could change all that...

• Twins33 and nicksaviking like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

I just don't see Harper going to the Yankees. That clean shaven, keep your mouth shut look and attitude that is expected from the Yankee players gives the feel that they were all stamped out at the same boring factory.

Even Torii Hunter would have annoyed the Yankee FO. I can't see Harper doing that. 

Of course, the biggest stage along with the highest pay could change all that...

Through the years there have been many players you couldn't imagine that with, and there they go. What's a few hair cuts and clean shaven face over a few years vs the millions he'd make? Yeah, dunno. And, actually, I don't really care about Harper; he can go wherever he wants. But I'd hate, hate, HATE to see Machado as a Yankee. (He's my favorite non-Twin player :) ) But the talk over the last year has pretty much been 'Harper to the Yankees' and the Yankees will 'buy' one of them, because that's what they do. Could they buy two?

• Oldgoat_MN and Borealis like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Harper's a West Coast guy. I'll go with the Dodgers with Arizona being the dark horse if they can shed some of Zack Greinke's salary.

#12 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

Harper's a West Coast guy. I'll go with the Dodgers with Arizona being the dark horse if they can shed some of Zack Greinke's salary.

He'll go where there's the most money. End of story. At least for Harper.

My impossible dream is Machado to the Twins. (Yes, I know ... I did say impossible dream.) I just flat out like everything about the guy and seeing him in pinstripes would just be the ultimate ... oxymoron ... for lack of a better phrase for it.

That all said, back to the subject of tampering ... I don't know. It seems far fetched from what was reported, but could it be it was more than a casual comment than what is being reported? Or maybe your explanation is where it's at.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,174 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

So, Aaron Judge apparently told Manny Machado that he'd "look good in Pinstripes".And this apparently is a no-no according to MLB, claiming it's "tampering".Is it just me, or is that about one of the stupidest things MLB has said/done recently.Do they not think that players are constantly telling each other, "Hey, you should come play for us!"I mean, how often do you hear during the offseason that so-and-so is recruiting so-and-so to their team?Why is it suddenly a big no-no for Judge to say he'd like to play with Machado?And MLB wonders why they're losing their audience...

In sentiment I agree with you because a comment like that is pretty benign. I'm sure players talk to other players. An off the cuff comment is not buying Machado a car. 

However... once he mentions the conversation to reporters who go public with information. The MLB office has no choice because you can bet the contracts have verbiage that expressly state that tampering is not allowed by anyone in the organization... including players. The size of the document needed to cover all shades of tampering would be quite large so they probably have to draw a hard line. I'm pretty sure that Judge will just get a reminder of MLB Rules.  

Using Machado as an example... without tampering rules in place. There would be nothing stopping all 29 teams from laying the ground work right now (actually yesterday). Teams could start negotiation with a player under contract right now. It would become a free for all. 

• Blake and HitInAPinch like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#14 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

After reading a couple articles, even the Yankees FO (Cashman) took this seriously and had a brief conversation with Judge about it ... basically saying, "Yeah, don't do that." Judge's comment was that he didn't know and now he does.

What was probably said was ... 'Yeah, don't do or admit to that publicly. But go for it otherwise. <wink, wink>'

• Twins33 likes this

#15 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

MLB has to do this. If Machado slides easy instead of taking out the Yankees SS on a double play this year, Orioles fans will be upset. The league has to protect the appearance of competition and players know what isn’t right. If not this communication, when should the league do something?
  • HitInAPinch likes this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Stupid rule. IMO

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#17 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

Two words:Competitive Balance. 

Example:Altuve, Judge, Machado, Scherzer, Syndergaard and Trout were sitting in a bar one day, when Kershaw shows up and says " Hey, you guys should come and play for the Dodgers!Management really throws around the money and the weather is always great!" 

Hey, at least give me credit for getting the players names in alphabetical order :)

Edited by HitInAPinch, 16 March 2018 - 01:35 PM.

• Carole Keller, Deduno Abides and Borealis like this

It's not my fault !

#18 chaderic20

chaderic20

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

I can understand if someone in an opposing front office starts talking to players on another team, but players talking to each other?That seems silly and impossible to police.I'm sure, as others have said, it's all in the legal details, but still, it just seems overboard to go after a player for a comment like that.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and Nine of twelve like this

#19 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

I can understand if someone in an opposing front office starts talking to players on another team, but players talking to each other?That seems silly and impossible to police.I'm sure, as others have said, it's all in the legal details, but still, it just seems overboard to go after a player for a comment like that.

I don't think they'd go after him had he just said it and went his way, except that he made it known to the media that he thought Machado would be a great addition and told him so. If he had just made his comment to Machado and went on his merry way, it would be what it is, benign. But then don't say so in the media.

While yes, I get why it seems foolish, and it is in a way, but it's also not, in a way. Just don't advertise to the press ... that was the stupid part about it.

• Deduno Abides and HitInAPinch like this

#20 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

It’s in the league’s interest to prevent a Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh situation.