Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Lewin Diaz - 2018

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Lewin Diaz

Position: 1B

B/T: L/L

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 180 lbs
Birthday: November 19, 1996

Signed by Twins July 2, 2013
TD Prospect Ranking: 13
Shane's Prospect Ranking: 11

2017 Statistics, Cedar Rapids: 508 plate appearances, .292/.329/.444 (.773), 33 doubles, one triple, 12 homers, 25 walks, 80 strike outs, two steals

A remember the day of Lewin Diaz's birth. It was a remarkable day because I turned 16 and got my driver's license that day. I recall the amount of snow in the streets as I got docked (only for this, mind you) for making "too wide" of turns after some recent significant snowfall. 

Diaz will start the year at Fort Myers and I would expect his floor for 2018 there to be his output in Cedar Rapids in 2017. Diaz is blossoming into a solid hitter, who will prove to be a solid slugger going forward (though there may indeed be an expectation for doubles power instead of homer power). 

I hope that Diaz will get at least 60 plate appearances in AA near the end of the year. He doesn't appear to be a player that can be easily rushed (unlike Rooker). He will turn 22 after the end of this season, so patience makes a lot of sense. I could see a taste of MLB in September 2019, but I expect no real meaningful experience for Diaz in MLB until 2020 still (though that might be quite timely).

• Carole Keller likes this

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

Carole, can you delete the duplicate post here?

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Carole, can you delete the duplicate post here?

Already did. :)
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.