Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Spring Training 3.13.18

stephen gonsalves fernando romero adalberto mejia aaron slegers
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Reassigned to AAA: Stephen Gonsalves, Adalberto Mejia, Aaron Slegers

Reassigned to AA: Fernando Romero

Probably not enough room for Romero at AAA, yet, still just a call up away. A little surprised about Mejia (not a great Spring thus far though.) However, with the addition of Lynn, the 4-Man rotation will be:

Berrios

Odorizzi

Lynn

Gibson

Hughes in long relieve/mop up.

With Berrios set to pitch in Puerto Rico, Lynn not quite stretched out, and Odorizzi having some reportedly minor injuries...does Gibson get the Opening Day nod?

• glunn likes this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

A minor detail (no pun intended)...

When a player is reassigned to minor league camp, that doesn't actually activate the minor league option, does it? I assume the option takes effect around Opening Day. Thus, if a roster change proves needed in the meantime, one of these players could still go north and it wouldn't count as an option?

• glunn likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

A minor detail (no pun intended)...

When a player is reassigned to minor league camp, that doesn't actually activate the minor league option, does it? I assume the option takes effect around Opening Day. Thus, if a roster change proves needed in the meantime, one of these players could still go north and it wouldn't count as an option?

Correct. That ties into the 20 days on optional assignment requirement to use an option year. Just like MLB service time, those days don't start counting until MLB opening day, even though players can be optioned before that point.
  • glunn and Respy like this

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Correct. That ties into the 20 days on optional assignment requirement to use an option year. Just like MLB service time, those days don't start counting until MLB opening day, even though players can be optioned before that point.

That's how the game OOTP does it, but I've been burned before by their interpretation of arcane rules. :)

• glunn and Respy like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

This may not quite be on topic, but I'm not sure if Hildenberger is going to make the opening day roster. He just got shelled again and is at a 7.50 ERA.

• glunn, Twins33 and youngtwinsfan like this

#6 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

Lynn's line today: 3 IP, 0 ER, 5K...maybe he WILL be stretched out in time for Opening Day!

• glunn and Twins33 like this

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

I have no problem with Gibson opening the season.Does Baltimore have an ace? Doesn't feel like it decreases our chances all that much and increases the chances of Berrios winning his first start by a like amount. 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#8 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

I forgot about John Curtiss being reassigned to AAA. Womp womp.

#9 youngtwinsfan

youngtwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

This may not quite be on topic, but I'm not sure if Hildenberger is going to make the opening day roster. He just got shelled again and is at a 7.50 ERA.

His spring training start has worried me as well, but sometimes pitchers use spring training to work on certain pitches so I am hoping that is where his issues are coming from. Positive thinking! Another big leap from him could help us out if our 3 new additions turn out well we could have a stellar bullpen. 

#10 youngtwinsfan

youngtwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

His spring training start has worried me as well, but sometimes pitchers use spring training to work on certain pitches so I am hoping that is where his issues are coming from. Positive thinking! Another big leap from him could help us out if our 3 new additions turn out well we could have a stellar bullpen. 

Should have added that I posted this because I am curious if anyone has heard if that is the reason for his poor spring?

#11 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

I'm not much concerned with ST results, good or bad.ST is all about ramping up in preparation of the real deal. 

Now if it comes out that a pitcher is consistently 5 or more MPH down from his usual velocity, especially as Opening Day nears, then my antennae might go up.Until then, I won't give it a second thought.

• Dantes929 and ThejacKmp like this

#12 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

I'm not much concerned with ST results, good or bad.ST is all about ramping up in preparation of the real deal. 

Now if it comes out that a pitcher is consistently 5 or more MPH down from his usual velocity, especially as Opening Day nears, then my antennae might go up.Until then, I won't give it a second thought.

And I wonder how much guys throw in the month leading up to ST. You would think they work hard for at least a month before in preparing to win a spot but maybe they don't for contract reasons. If Hildenberger gets hurt throwing a week before ST he probably doesn't get paid. If he gets hurt throwing while in camp I think he gets the major league salary while on the DL.I am guessing it can be a pretty big factor in trying to build up your arm strength and endurance while in camp.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, fernando romero, adalberto mejia, aaron slegers