Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: What Needs To Happen For Joe Mauer To Be A Twin In 2019?

joe mauer logan morrison miguel sano brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,012 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

If Morrison is a legit 30 homer guy, the Twins will pick up his option.

Next offseason, it's likely that things return to normal and guys like Morrison are $10-12m players on a one year contract. You can move that guy for something in trade if need be.

• Blake and Twins33 like this

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

This might be one of those cases where not everything is about who will provide the most WAR. If Mauer has a terrible year, then I agree with all of the above. But if he has another good year, that guy is getting a deal with the Twins. He is such a known entity for the casual Minnesota Twins fan, that “treating him poorly” would have huge negative ramifications, I think.

He has already stated that he wants to play after this year and can’t see himself playing anywhere else. If he doesn’t tank, he’s back. I think he will see the writing on the wall and take a contract that reflects his current value, but he’s back. No doubt in my mind.

How is deciding to move on from Mauer "treating him poorly"?
  • Mike Sixel, DrNeau and bustedstuff88 like this

#23 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

How is deciding to move on from Mauer "treating him poorly"?

Same reason that MN reporters don't ask him tough questions in relation to production. They only ask, "How are you feeling, Joe?" 

When it applies to Joe Mauer, there is another variable that everyone must consider... his FEELINGS. 

• laloesch and ewen21 like this

#24 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

My gut tells me Joe would be willing to come back with limited role...almost regardless of what his results are this year.A lot of currently unknown variables regarding whether that would make sense for the 2019 roster.

It won't be the end of the world if he ends his career elsewhere.There are two statues at Target field of guys that didn't end their career with the Twins.

#25 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

If he has a year like last year the Twins might offer 2 yrs at $7-8M per year. If not he'll retire. I can't see him playing anywhere else for any price.

#26 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

If he has a year like last year the Twins might offer 2 yrs at $7-8M per year. If not he'll retire. I can't see him playing anywhere else for any price.

I think some forget how much money is in the game and how little 7-8M a year gets you most of the time in regards to veteran FAs.Mauer was worth over 16M last year.If he has another year like last year with the BA/OBP and defense, he should be able to get more than that.

But we'll see cause he'll be at least as good this year, and probably better.

Edited by jimmer, 13 March 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

I think some forget how much money is in the game and how little 7-8M a year gets you most of the time in regards to veteran FAs.Mauer was worth over 16M last year.If he has another year like last year with the BA/OBP and defense, he should be able to get more than that.

Morrison didn't......

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

I think some forget how much money is in the game and how little 7-8M a year gets you most of the time in regards to veteran FAs. Mauer was worth over 16M last year. If he has another year like last year with the BA/OBP and defense, he should be able to get more than that.

Logan Morrison was worth 26.3 million last year.
How much did he sign for?

#29 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Logan Morrison was worth 26.3 million last year.
How much did he sign for?

Morrison doesn't have the history Mauer does. He has one quality MLB season.

Again, we'll see.I hope he signs with the Twins for a discount.I actually believe he will.

Edited by jimmer, 13 March 2018 - 03:42 PM.

#30 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Morrison didn't......

Again, we'll see.I hope he signs for a discount with the Twins.I actually believe he will.

And I wouldn't count on FA market acting next offseason the way it did this offseason.

Edited by jimmer, 13 March 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#31 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Again, we'll see.I hope he signs for a discount.I actually believe he will.

Morrison is also going to be in just his age 30 season this year. In 2019, Joe will be 36.

• KGB and ewen21 like this

#32 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

Morrison is also going to be in just his age 30 season this year. In 2019, Joe will be 36.

and he had one decent season in his career.

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

There is another way that Mauer can remain a Twin for life:Accept a "special assistant" position, like his buddies ;)

Way too early to even start thinking about Mauer and this off-season.Let's see what kind of season Mauer, Morrison, Vargas, and Rooker have, including health-wise and can pick up the conversation in October/November...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

There is another way that Mauer can remain a Twin for life:Accept a "special assistant" position, like his buddies ;)

Way too early to even start thinking about Mauer and this off-season.Let's see what kind of season Mauer, Morrison, Vargas, and Rooker have, including health-wise and can pick up the conversation in October/November...

And that's what's gonna happen.And it should.Rooker won't be a factor though.WAY too early to think about him starting next year.

#35 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,245 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

All it would take, is for Joe to join the launch angle evolution, hit .300ish with 35 homers, 100 rbi, 40 doubles, and 2 stolen bases. The perfect swing evolves in the mid thirties, grabs the power that his large strong body dormantly stores.....and he extends his career a productive 3-4 years and cruises into the HOF. Piece of cake.

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

and he had one decent season in his career.

But much better than any season Mauer had since 2013...And unfortunately Mauer will not likely be as good again.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

But much better than any season Mauer had since 2013...And unfortunately Mauer will not likely be as good again.

ok, well see.

Edited by jimmer, 13 March 2018 - 03:48 PM.

• Thrylos likes this

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Jimmer, do you have any specific reasons you feel so strongly that Mauer will improve in 2018? Or just a feeling?

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 13 March 2018 - 03:51 PM.

• jimmer likes this

#39 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

Jimmer, do you have any specific reasons you feel so strongly that Mauer will improve in 2018? Or just a feeling?

I believe he's finally better and that he'll only keep getting better.The talent is there.We've seen it.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

I believe he's finally better and that he'll only keep getting better. The talent is there. We've seen it.

But even if he is finally better, doesn't the aging curve at some point negate some of that?
Not saying improvement isn't on the spectrum of possibilities, but you seem too feel it's practically inevitable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, logan morrison, miguel sano, brent rooker