Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins 2018 Position Analysis: Third Base

miguel sano eduardo escobar travis blankenhorn andrew bechtold
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Some people have suggested moving Sano to 1B, but I see 3B as more ideal – we need very good fielders at 1B more than at 3B – 1B touch the ball way more often than 3B do. Sano is at least average and has a great arm at 3B, something that would be wasted if he moved to 1B. DH is probably his final destination in MLB.

• Minny505 likes this

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,773 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Here's the video of Sano yesterday. 

https://www.mlb.com/...83?tid=69972428

He's a bid guy but I'm not sure he's hugely over weight. He doesn't look like the Panda from a few years ago, at least.

• Loosey, TheLeviathan, TNTwinsFan and 3 others like this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,211 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

"A giant question mark" indeed. Both literally and figuratively. C'mon everyone. We've seen Sano now for 3 years. I mean this as a serious question, not to be neagative....Does anyone really think Miguel Sano will still be playing 3rd base by 2020? I do not. He's a DH/part-time 1B. And, if he can stay healthy...in the lineup for 150 games...hit 35 HR and drive in 100, we should probably just be happy with that.

I would argue that's always been a part of the plan. As long as he can hold his own at 3B until Mauer is retired I'm fine with it.
  • bobs likes this

#24 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

One question that comes up in my mind with 3B is:

Should Eduardo Escobar be considered as the 3B of the post-Dozier/Mauer future?

Could he be our Justin Turner at a relatively lower cost?

Bechtold and Miranda are pretty green prospects, even if they are high ceiling.I don't see Blankenhorn as a fast riser.

Maybe a 2019 offseason of Morrison to 1b, Sano to DH and Escobar being signed to a 3 year deal to mostly play 3B is worth considering.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,211 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

One question that comes up in my mind with 3B is:

Should Eduardo Escobar be considered as the 3B of the post-Dozier/Mauer future?

Could he be our Justin Turner at a relatively lower cost?

Bechtold and Miranda are pretty green prospects, even if they are high ceiling. I don't see Blankenhorn as a fast riser.

Maybe a 2019 offseason of Morrison to 1b, Sano to DH and Escobar being signed to a 3 year deal to mostly play 3B is worth considering.

Maybe. Escobar is a UFA after this season. And if I've learned anything this offseason, it's to not offer long term contracts to players entering their decline phase. So that would eliminate 30 year old Escobar in 2019...
  • beckmt likes this

#26 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

Here's the video of Sano yesterday. 

https://www.mlb.com/...83?tid=69972428

He's a bid guy but I'm not sure he's hugely over weight. He doesn't look like the Panda from a few years ago, at least.

Thanks for the vid link. Have to agree, he doesn't look grossly overweight. From some of the comments I'd expected to see him using a wheelbarrow to hold his gut in place while he runs down to first.

And they saw the camera puts 10 pounds on people. Maybe for the Sanoman the camera takes 10 pounds off.

• Broker and MN_ExPat like this

#27 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Weight is an issue for everyone.I fight it and so do the majority of people.Of course I am not in Sano's league, but it is a difficult problem to address - the decision requires a special commitment, discipline, and diet - more fun to eat a pizza and ice cream.For now he is okay,but as we age it gets more difficult and the impacts add up.His operation should have given him incentive.But I was curious about baseball players and their weight.Of course the NFL has the biggest players, but in baseball I found that Walter Young at 322 pounds is the largest recorded baseball player who played for the Orioles in Sept, 2005.

Walter Jumbo Brown was a relief pitcher "He led the National League in saves in 1940-41. He also posted ERA’s of 3.42 and 3.32- the 2nd and 3rd best of his career." https://superbasebal...r-of-all-time/  Of course CC Sabathia, before his recent weight loss might have pushed for this record if the teams really listed their actual weight.And Jonathon Broxton of the Reds - at 300 pounds on a 6' 4" frame. 

​And then there is Pablo Sandoval who also plays 3B and Prince Fielder and his dad, who burned out young at 1B. Adam Dunn was another power biggy - at 287.He had a 14 year career which is nice for any player.

And I did not realize that former Twin - Carlos Silva was 280 pounds.I do not remember any articles about him and his weight.https://www.sporting...in-the-mlb.aspx

Baseball can forgive fatness, but the heart and body eventually pay a price and that is the most important thing to remember. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

Some people have suggested moving Sano to 1B, but I see 3B as more ideal – we need very good fielders at 1B more than at 3B – 1B touch the ball way more often than 3B do. Sano is at least average and has a great arm at 3B, something that would be wasted if he moved to 1B. DH is probably his final destination in MLB.

Not really. The delta between a bad and a good 1B is tiny, at least that's what the data implies at the stat's driven sites, and what they've typed up in many articles and answers in threads. 

I am not worried about Sano yet, in terms of on field play.

As for the backups/pipeline.....it's not pretty unless they move a SS, which did not seem to be addressed here at all. 

• MN_ExPat and DannySD like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#29 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Concur, concur, concur. This team (until this year with Morrison) doesn't sign power hitters. He's the first power hitter they've developed since Morneau. And people can't ship him out of town quick enough...

I also think he'll be an All-Star again, and come close to 40 HRs.

Josh Willingham?

#30 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

I'm a little concerned that there's not another prospect that could be ready to step in at 3B in the next two years. Because I think it's fair to be concerned about Sano's ability to stick at the position or in the organization and Escobar isn't a young guy any longer. People are worried about organizational depth at catcher; I'm worried about it at 3B. Right now, none of the middle infield prospects we have starting to claw their way up the ranks look like contenders to shift over there, and our best prospect looks to be a) several years away, and B) hardly a sure thing. (I'm rooting like hell for Blankenhorn, but he's got some things to work on)

For this season, we're in excellent shape. Next year? Two years from now? the poundage isn't the only weight resting on Sano.

• Nick Nelson, Mike Sixel and howieramone2 like this

#31 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

Concur, concur, concur. This team (until this year with Morrison) doesn't sign power hitters. He's the first power hitter they've developed since Morneau. And people can't ship him out of town quick enough...

I also think he'll be an All-Star again, and come close to 40 HRs.

I want Sano to get into better shape.I want him to play the position that maximizes his value to the Twins for as long as possible.That position is third base.I also want Sano to play more than 120 games this season, ideally around 150.As long as he is in the lineup, he will crush dingers.That's the easy part for him.  

I don't see anyone trying to "Ship him out of town."And I see zero issue with wanting to see the best possible Miguel Sano at the position that maximizes his worth to the team.

• ken likes this

#32 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

I'm a little concerned that there's not another prospect that could be ready to step in at 3B in the next two years. Because I think it's fair to be concerned about Sano's ability to stick at the position or in the organization and Escobar isn't a young guy any longer. People are worried about organizational depth at catcher; I'm worried about it at 3B. Right now, none of the middle infield prospects we have starting to claw their way up the ranks look like contenders to shift over there, and our best prospect looks to be a) several years away, and :cool: hardly a sure thing. (I'm rooting like hell for Blankenhorn, but he's got some things to work on)

For this season, we're in excellent shape. Next year? Two years from now? the poundage isn't the only weight resting on Sano.

I'm more concerned with 3B also. He's only 19, but I can see Wander Javier being moved over to 3B to make room for Lewis.

• gunnarthor likes this

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#33 jkcarew

jkcarew

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

As for the backups/pipeline.....it's not pretty unless they move a SS, which did not seem to be addressed here at all. 

Agreed.That's why it wouldn't shock me that, when contemplating signing Dozier, it would cross the FO minds to consider whether Dozier could be moved to 3rd...assuming they love Gordon and see Mauer with a different role.

I have no idea if that's a viable consideration at this point...but the bat plays there (currently anyway), and he's played a ton of professional baseball on the left side, including his first 83 games with the big club.I seem to recall that his move from SS to 2B was based on range, not arm.(I could be wrong.)

#34 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

"It's important to keep in mind that he was extremely limited in his ability to condition this past offseason. To pin the lack of weight loss on disinterest would be ignorant." So that's why Teddy Bridgewater and Adrian Peterson managed to stay in shape despite leg injuries -- they were ignorant? What does your shin have to do with how much you eat? Apparently I am ignorant too.

People are going to believe what they want on this subject. I'll just say this much: Peterson and (my goodness ESPECIALLY) Bridgewater are not built like Miguel Sano. Genetically he is simply a big kid, and his size fuels his incredible power.

Also, his rumored weigh-in this spring (per Reusse) is about the same as his exit physical in 2017 so it's not like he has added weight. It's just hard to lose a ton when you're unable to put in the physical conditioning work. 

• h2oface and KirbyDome89 like this

#35 bean5302

bean5302

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

Sano is heavier, shorter and arguably slower than Kennys Vargas. I'm not joking or exaggerating. Statcast's 2017 sprint speed has Sano at 26.9mph and Vargas at 26.6mph. Vargas has dropped weight and worked on his conditioning. Sano has gained and not been working out. Would anybody here suggest moving Kennys Vargas to 3B?

I've never seen Vargas throw so I don't know as Vargas has a cannon arm or anything, but lets be realistic of Sano's potential to play a full season at 3B without dropping 50lbs regardless of whether or not a fan watching a video thinks Sano looks good or is hiding his weight well.

#36 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,773 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Would anybody here suggest moving Kennys Vargas to 3B?

Of course not. Vargas isn't a third baseman. Sano, on the other hand, is. And he's played there, fairly well defensively, so far in his career. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#37 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

In addition to fitness and conduct concerns, Sano has strikeout and fielding issues. He needs to prioritize his fitness so he can maximize the opportunity to work on those. Sure, he’s got prodigious power, but so does Mark Reynolds. If Sano can’t work on his fitness when he’s injured, then it will be hard for him to work on his fielding and batting eye.
  • flyin fin likes this

#38 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

It's not just Sano's extra weight that worries me. It's what that weight will do to his feet, ankles, knees, etc. Every step he takes with fifty extra pounds on his belt is a much heavier step, much greater impact. He will get injured carrying that much weight. 

Why do I get the feeling that everybody upvoting my comment knows what it's like to have sore feet from being overweight? ;-)

Like me, of course...

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#39 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,232 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

There's not likely a larger fielder outside of first base in the game.

Aaron Judge listed at 282; he is larger.

Adam Dunn played OF well into the end of his career.He was listed at 285.

Matter of fact, now that Lynn is onboard Sano is not the largest player in the Twins as well.Nor was he last season; Colon was.But for some reason, Colon's weight was "cute".As was Puckett's and Newman's for some reason...

I just don't get the bias against Sano.Let's see what he does at the field and then start being critical.

• Brock Beauchamp, Mike Sixel, h2oface and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#40 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Maybe. Escobar is a UFA after this season. And if I've learned anything this offseason, it's to not offer long term contracts to players entering their decline phase. So that would eliminate 30 year old Escobar in 2019...

I understand this sentiment, but, assuming the Twins won't be in on the Machado sweepstakes - and he wants to play SS anyway, Escobar and Marwin Gonzalez are going to be the youngest UFA 3Bs in their market (both in their age 30 seasons). A three year deal buys years 30-32.Gonzalez is probably going to cost a lot more.

With Escobar's positional flexibility, he could easily slide back to a swiss-army-knife role in the last year of that 3 year deal, if a younger player was pushing for the 3B role and decline was starting to set in.

• Riverbrian and Vanimal46 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, eduardo escobar, travis blankenhorn, andrew bechtold