Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

No Lefties In The Rotation: Should We Care?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,964 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

yup, platoons are virtually extinct.

Mark my words... In the Future... Not only will platoons be something you will have to explain to your grand kids like rotary phones. the bench player will also be gone... the getaway day guy will no longer be part of the 25 man roster.

With each passing year... with improved training, the sport of baseball will over flow with increased numbers of capable talent. 

Lefties will hit Lefties... Righties will hit Righties. 25 Man Rosters will have strong talent from top to bottom. 

Positional Flexibility will be the thing so Managers can work everyone into the lineup. 

That is why I founded the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibilty Club" in April of 2016. Just two members so far but I expect there to be a rush from the next generation.:)

• snepp likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#42 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:59 AM

The Indians strong lefty lineup is largely based on Lindor and Ramirez, both of whom switch hit anyway. Not much you can do in terms of matchups. In fact, when you throw a lefty you then have Ramirez, Lindor, an. Encarnacion to contend with. I'd probably like my chances stacking righties against them more than lefties.

the Indians have Encarnacion and Gomes from the right side and Brantley, Kipnis, Zimmer, Alonso and Chisenhall from the left side. In addition to Lindor and Ramirez as switch hitters.

The point of my post wasn't if the Indians were better against lefty or righty pitchers. The point was that they are basically the only team in the division (other than the Twins) that have more than 1-2 lefthanded hitters. Against all other AL Central teams right handed pitchers should have an advantage.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#43 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

That's his track record at every level is right around 5 innings per start. I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe that's how it looks in aggregate, but if you go a little more granular to his game logs, in his last couple of years in the high minors he was getting through the 6th inning often enough.

In 2017 for example he had only 6 AAA starts. Two he went well into the seventh, completing it in one case and getting two outs in the other. One start in May was bad and he was yanked after four. Then his other start in May was apparently some kind of tune-up for getting the call to the majors, because he went three innings with good results. Then in August-September he went down to AAA again, and had two very short starts with good results, again apparently to work something out. That brings the IP/GS number down, but the usage pattern doesn't suggest he's a 5-inning pitcher when right.

There are some rough edges and he's not a finished product, but I can't quite see such a level of pessimism around him that I would simply flush him as a starter.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#44 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

At a minimum I expect there will be doubleheaders with 26 man rosters with Gonsalves/Mejia getting a start.More likely injuries.I am a little surprised that Mejia was sent down so early, but then the season does start in a couple of weeks and they are going with a four man rotation most of April, so Berrios, Lynn, Odorizzi and Gibson.Here's hoping for the second half Gibson.

#45 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

I said this about 5 years ago, you can look it up. We should always be employing RHP at Target Field. It’s a RHH Park.
  • kab21 likes this

#46 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

No.