Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

No Lefties In The Rotation: Should We Care?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

What if it's possible for a player to improve upon his rookie season?

Yes, I don't understand these continual comments about Mejia. It is a concern but let's not blow this out of proportion.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

It's an advantage in the AL.

List of RH/switch hitters in AL:

Mookie Betts
Giancarlo Stanton
Aaron Judge
Gary Sanchez
Jonathan Schoop
Adam Jones
Jose Altuve
George Springer
Francisco Lindor
Jose Ramirez
Edwin Encarnacion
Elvis Andrus
Mike Trout
Justin Upton
Nelson Cruz
Jose Abbreu
Avasail Garcia
Miguel Cabrera
Nick Castellanos
Salvador Perez
Whit Merrifield

I'm sure there's more in missing. It's basically the top 20 of any statistical offensive leaderboard. There are almost no left handed hitters to be overly concerned about. I'd rather stay away from throwing out too many lefties against a lot of AL teams.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#23 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

This isn't a big deal and perhaps one of the more overrated things in baseball.

Looking at this a little further though. The Indians are the only team in the AL Central that has a very strong lefty lineup (just a quick analysis). So having a strong righty rotation will be a benefit in 75% of the divisional games which is relevant due to the unbalanced schedule.

It might be a tough year facing the Twins main competition for the division title though. Of course, the first two pitchers up from the farm system this year are lefties (*** perhaps Slegers beats Gonsalves up).

The Indians strong lefty lineup is largely based on Lindor and Ramirez, both of whom switch hit anyway. Not much you can do in terms of matchups. In fact, when you throw a lefty you then have Ramirez, Lindor, an. Encarnacion to contend with. I'd probably like my chances stacking righties against them more than lefties.

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

The most vulnerable team to LH pitching in the AL? That would be the biggest OPS disparity between OPS facing right handed pitching and left handed pitching. I’m guessing it will be the Twins in 2018.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

Yes, I don't understand these continual comments about Mejia. It is a concern but let's not blow this out of proportion.

I have frequently commented about my questioning whether Mejia should be in the rotation.Although not pitching deep into games is a concern, my main concern was his weight and lack of athleticism.Just didn't like his not being able to cover 1st base when he needed to.  

I understand that he reported to spring training 15 pounds lighter...that's good.Now lets see if it helps him play better defense.

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

I wonder if analytically, it's actually an advantage to have all starters of the same throwing hand. Part of the equation would be hard to quantify (the coaching part), but stay with me here

Teams are platooning more than ever. Teams are doing it because they feel they can play matchups and over the course of a season derive a net advantage my playing players against the opposite handed pitcher. OK. Makes sense. But what is a manager going to do if there's no opportunity to platoon? Is he going to sit the bad matchup all three games of the series against us? Doubt it. I would think that at least one of those games, he'd feel the need to play the lesser matchup, to "keep his guys fresh" (or whatever coach-speak he might use).

If the Twins had a series against 3 lefties, would Molitor sit Kepler, in favor of Grossman for the whole series? Doubt it. 

Also, do we think it's a coincidence that Cleveland, where Falvey came from had all RH pitcher at the end of his time there (and still).

#27 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Chance are with injuries, Mejia will be in the rotation most of the year. Don't expect Hughes to last long so Mejia will be next man up. 

• Shaitan likes this

#28 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

He's probably a bit of a toad though

Hideki Irabu?

• USAFChief likes this

#29 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

It’s cause the Dodgers have all the starting lefties.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

I dispute that managers are platooning now more than ever. It just isn’t feasible with 3 and 4-man benches. I remember Gene Mauch strictly platooning three or four positions. How many do the current Twins platoon now? Answer—whole number less than one.

Ideally, teams want to have a bench with players both flexible enough to cover more than one position and who hit from the opposite side of the regular player. For the Twins that would be a righty hitter to back up Kepler/Rosario and another RH hitter behind Mauer and Morrison.
  • USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

At least 7 pitchers (and probably closer to 10) will start games for the Twins this year. Not concerned about this at all.

#32 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

No lefties is only an issue for facing Cleveland and probably the AL East (though I haven't looked in the latter case).

The Twins should be able to dominate the rest of the division with good righties, and they have a couple now.

#33 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Keep in mind that the Indians are not the only team in the AL Central with a dominant lefty-hitting lineup: The Twins have one too. So those games when the Twins and Indians are facing off, most (if not all) of the starters will be right-handed; many of the hitters will be left-handed on both squads. 

Meanwhile, we will have (along with the Indians) an advantage when facing most other teams which do not have strong left-handed bats. 

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,950 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

I dispute that managers are platooning now more than ever. It just isn’t feasible with 3 and 4-man benches. I remember Gene Mauch strictly platooning three or four positions. How many do the current Twins platoon now? Answer—whole number less than one.

Ideally, teams want to have a bench with players both flexible enough to cover one position and who hit from the opposite side of the regular player. For the Twins that would be a righty hitter to back up Kepler/Rosario and another RH hitter behind Mauer and Morrison.

yup, platoons are virtually extinct.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#35 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

What if it's possible for a player to improve upon his rookie season?

That's his track record at every level is right around 5 innings per start. I'm not holding my breath.

#36 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

But, then again, they could have three lefties in the bullpen. Enough to make managers do line-up changes.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

yup, platoons are virtually extinct.

Guess that means Gardy was a visionary...

• USAFChief likes this

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

That's his track record at every level is right around 5 innings per start. I'm not holding my breath.

Well he did average 6 IP per start in 2016, so I think he's shown he's capable.
Just seems really odd to suggest he's a finished product after his rookie season.
  • Oxtung likes this

#39 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

That's [Mejia's] track record at every level is right around 5 innings per start. I'm not holding my breath.

I'd move Mejia to the pen. We can't have a starter averaging less than 5 innings per start. We just can't.

The average starter in MLB pitched 5.5 innings which means back of the rotation starters pitched significantly less. Mejia isn't all that different from other back of the rotation pitchers last season with the exception that he was a rookie and might very well improve this year, IMO.

#40 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

The most vulnerable team to LH pitching in the AL? That would be the biggest OPS disparity between OPS facing right handed pitching and left handed pitching. I’m guessing it will be the Twins in 2018.

Yeah... Therefore we need to grab as many left-handers as possible to keep them off the rosters of the other teams.:)

• Oxtung likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate