Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Opportunity Cost

kennys vargas robbie grossman lance lynn jake odorizzi logan morrison
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

I continue to believe that Pohlad doesn't stoop to that level of detail in the business. He likely does two big things, in conjunction with Dave St Peter: sets a general budget limit, and is in the approval chain for any contract longer than two years. Contracts of no more than two years will not be a likely burden to the next GM, if such a change would prove to be necessary. (If the front office were on thin ice, that approval process might become active for any multi-year contract.)

Yeah. I suspect the front office had to go to ownership hat in hand to sign Lynn but I doubt Sanchez was even in the discussion.

#62 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,843 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

Yeah. I suspect the front office had to go to ownership hat in hand to sign Lynn but I doubt Sanchez was even in the discussion.

Unless adding Lynn was going to top the agreed-on budget cap, I can imagine DSP or JP saying, "put your hat back on and get outta here. Why are you even bothering me? One year? This is what I pay you to decide." :)

Modesty, n.:Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#63 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Unless adding Lynn was going to top the agreed-on budget cap, I can imagine DSP or JP saying, "put your hat back on and get outta here. Why are you even bothering me? One year? This is what I pay you to decide." :)

Yeah, my point is that I doubt they had clearance for Lynn in the original budget. They even talked about being done with moves before that point, which indicates they didn't have much space left to spend.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#64 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

Vargas is a good player. Fans who say otherwise are bad players. :P

#65 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Not ever has he averaged 6 innings a game. That is not a number 3.Swinging strike number is average. WHIP is way above average. They see it and don't swing at it and get a walk or the eventually see one and get a hit. As he will turn 25 there would be a lot of development in a short period of time,

Arrieta, Wacha, Tanaka... none of them average 6 innings. Arrieta only 5.5. I'd consider all of those guy's 2's or 3's.  League average for S/M % was 9.8% so he was above average. WHIP was high, yes but he had a below average HR/9 of 1.19 which means a slightly higher whip than average will play.... Also it was his rookie season, not many players come out and dominate rookie year. And to remind you I'm not saying he's a number 3 RIGHT NOW. Saying he could be with development.

#66 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Arrieta, Wacha, Tanaka... none of them average 6 innings. Arrieta only 5.5. I'd consider all of those guy's 2's or 3's.  League average for S/M % was 9.8% so he was above average. WHIP was high, yes but he had a below average HR/9 of 1.19 which means a slightly higher whip than average will play.... Also it was his rookie season, not many players come out and dominate rookie year. And to remind you I'm not saying he's a number 3 RIGHT NOW. Saying he could be with development.

Yup Arrietta had a bad season for him. That may have cost him a lot of money. He still got a great contract based on the prior years. 

Swing and miss numbers are nice. Contact was the problem.An .850 ops against is not very good considering he had a slightly below average hr/9. League averageops was around .750

Some pitchers with command develop late. The issue is quality of pitches besides a slider.

#67 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

Bob Hemelin could havehad a great career, but did not. Could be is far far different than is.Swing and miss 9.8%,is nice an ops for the other team was .822 was .750 overall. He is better than Slegers but you never know, Slegers could develop into a number 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kennys vargas, robbie grossman, lance lynn, jake odorizzi, logan morrison