Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report From The Fort: "B" Player Gets "A" Grade

lance lynn
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

I think the FO has the goal of creating an organization that supports a major league team that can legitimately contend in the postseason every year. That's a nearly unattainable goal even for a high-revenue team but it's what we should aspire to. It all comes down to scouting (which directs drafting, trading, and free agent signings) and player development.

#22 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Sanchez gets somthing between 400 and 500k

Not bad for 3ish weeks of work

• Blackjack and Sconnie like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

This FO has hit a home run this offseason. We are better in both the starting staff and bullpen and have upgraded the DH position. We also kept all of our prospects basically so we can be aggressive at the deadline if we are in position to make a run and didn’t hamper our long term payroll moving forward.

I expect to contend for the division title this year. When Santayana gets back, we have a very competent, not to Cleveland’s standard, but enough to compete as I like our lineup better

seems more like Pirana small ball... nibbled to death rather than the Darvish home run
  • ashburyjohn and spycake like this

#24 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

What’s the over under on wins?

I don't know but give me the over!!! 

(High Five)

I will be glad to accept that bet. How much would you like to wager?

​BTW, the over/under is 120. 

#25 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Very positive off-season, although it was looking pretty ugly a few weeks back.They definitely have a deeper and more veteran pitching staff which will make a difference. With Santana's injury and the Sano fiasco I think this would have quite possibly ended up being a below .500 team this year.Adding Odirizzi, Lynn, Reed, Duke, Rodney, and Morrison probably make this team a wild-card favorite than can complete for the division if Cleveland slips up.I'd predict them about 87-75 now.  

#26 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

I would much rather have Lynn, Odiorizzi, and Morrison on the deals they have instead of Darvish and his deal. Much more flexibility going forward.

In my lifetime, I'm not sure I have ever seen a Twins FO be praised so profusely. Very refreshing.
  • olivia11 and Nine of twelve like this

#27 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

I recall those years not so long ago when the "aces" we were replying on to compete were guys like Carl Pavano and Kevin Correia. Pause to shudder. This season is cause for MUCH more optimism!

#28 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

I like the offseason moves. I think we have depth to withstand injuries.I think we have the talent to compete.Here's what I'd love to see yet this spring - trade Vargas for something.I don't care what, but if you can get something for him, kudos to the FO.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#29 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

I like the offseason moves. I think we have depth to withstand injuries.I think we have the talent to compete.Here's what I'd love to see yet this spring - trade Vargas for something.I don't care what, but if you can get something for him, kudos to the FO.

If Falvine had known a few months ago that we'd get Morrison they'd have traded him then. The best we're going to do now is get a low-level prospect from a team that really wants him because every GM in baseball knows he'll be available in two weeks. The only question is which team will pick him up. Or if he goes to Japan to mash big time for a year or two.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 13 March 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,447 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

In a world where guys like Morrison go for $6m, Vargas has no value. None.

#31 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

In a world where guys like Morrison go for $6m, Vargas has no value. None.

The only value he has is to a mid level team that is looking for a 1B/DH upgrade or backup plan.If they don't want to risk someone else picking him up before him, then they may offer a low level prospect.That is the only hope of getting anything for him.That's why I say if they can get anything for him, kudos to them.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lance lynn