Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins To Sign Lance Lynn

lance lynn
  • Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#221 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

Totally respect your viewpoint Mike but will choose to disagree. Gonsalves and Romero should be getting their feet wet this season and at least one will probably be a major contributor next season. Possibly both. Berrios should continue to grow, and with options, I believe Odorizzi is ours for 2 more years after this one.

Is all of this a bit optimistic? Perhaps. But as you stated yourself, of just the 3 guys you mentioned, 1 should be good and 1 OK. Most important thing is the depth and number of potions available the next couple of years.

Odo only has 1 season left of team control beyond this season.

#222 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Odo only has 1 season left of team control beyond this season.

And I'm probably wrong. Thought I read somewhere we had a 3rd year of arbitration or something. Maybe it was a QO. Sorry if mistaken.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#223 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Maybe in two years the Twins need to give someone 4-5 years to get a decent player. That was not the case this offseason.
But that’s two years you don’t have to worry about a player’s long term health or potential decline. In essence, a two year deal now allows you to postpone the typically bad portion of a contract.
Worry about the four year contract when that’s your only option to get a good player and be happy that day isn’t today.

Look at it from the other direction. Teams rarely sign four year deals with free agents because they want to lock them in. Instead, teams sign four year or longer deals because the players insist upon it. Those long deals are usually regretted at the end.

#224 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

Look at it from the other direction. Teams rarely sign four year deals with free agents because they want to lock them in. Instead, teams sign four year or longer deals because the players insist upon it. Those long deals are usually regretted at the end.

Exactly. Teams don't push for longer term contracts, players do.

#225 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

given that they have needs in SP now, I don't mind them getting a few on shorter term deals. They have enough guys with some ML success (May, Mejia) and plenty of promise (Littell, Gonsalves, Romero, Thorpe, Slegers, Enns) that they should be able to piece through a rotation in 2019 and 2020. The problem is that they will need to do some trial and error. That will happen during the inevitable injury.. these guys are stop gaps... and good ones at that. 

• kab21 likes this

#226 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

given that they have needs in SP now, I don't mind them getting a few on shorter term deals. They have enough guys with some ML success (May, Mejia) and plenty of promise (Littell, Gonsalves, Romero, Thorpe, Slegers, Enns) that they should be able to piece through a rotation in 2019 and 2020. The problem is that they will need to do some trial and error. That will happen during the inevitable injury.. these guys are stop gaps... and good ones at that.

Every pitcher on the roster could bust, but that is unlikely. Just like thinking the starting staff(s) of years past would pitch better than their track record would indicate was unlikely. Double headers, injuries, ineffectiveness, etc. will allow those almost-ready starters in the high minors to get a taste. It’s a great position to be in that the fill-ins have potential to be a part of the future. Think of the fill-in starters of years past. The pitching staff as a whole has its flaws, but the floor is about as high as it’s been since the days of Johan.
  • FormerMinnasotan likes this

#227 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

I don't know anything, but here is what is likely:

ESan is retired in 2 years, or not that good.

Gibson is gone.

About 1/3 of the upper minors' starters turn out to be really good

Odorizzi is gone

Our Yankee pitcher is gone

That leaves some holes in the rotation, since a team needs 8-10 starters every year, not five.

It's been a very good off season. Other than signing Darvish, it is hard to see how it could be better. But, for years people have told me you can't successfully fill multiple holes in free agency. Now that I'm agreeing, I'm somehow wrong, or hating, or something.

I've been 100% clear. It's been a good off season. 

I don't think I have said that you are hating. I think you are making an issue out of something that is an inevitable issue for all teams. Almost every team needs to add a starter during two consecutive offseasons. It is far better to have short term contracts for good but not great players and aside from Darvish those were the players available.

And the Twins are very much in a position to add a near elite starter if one becomes available because they don't have long term commitments in the rotation and elsewhere. These are good things.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#228 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

IP: 1. ERA: 0.00. K/9: 18.
  • GP830 likes this

#229 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

IP: 1. ERA: 0.00. K/9: 18.

Now that's a trend!

• nicksaviking and Nine of twelve like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#230 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,149 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Lance Lynn:Greatest Twins pitcher of this decade, or greatest all time?

• ashburyjohn, wagwan, Twins33 and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#231 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

Lance Lynn: Greatest Twins pitcher of this decade, or greatest all time?

Yes.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#232 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

He didn't take very long to shake off the rust...Tillman on the other hand...

#233 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• lancelot link.jpg
  • ashburyjohn and USAFChief like this

#234 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Greatest pitcher of all time? Or greatest human being of all time?

(Yes.)

#235 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

I said it before and I will say it again ... I think Lynn was probably the best free agent pitcher this year.Sorry, Darvish. If I were in charge, Lynn would have been my #1 target.

It's a minor sticking point that he is only signed for one year because if my opinion is proven true, the Twins won't be able to afford him next year. Lynn will go off and be Ervin Santana II elsewhere. But hey, we had Kenny Rogers for one good year too, right?

#236 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

I said it before and I will say it again ... I think Lynn was probably the best free agent pitcher this year. Sorry, Darvish. If I were in charge, Lynn would have been my #1 target.

It's a minor sticking point that he is only signed for one year because if my opinion is proven true, the Twins won't be able to afford him next year. Lynn will go off and be Ervin Santana II elsewhere. But hey, we had Kenny Rogers for one good year too, right?

The Twins have upwards of $80 million coming off the books after this season.
They can afford Lynn, if he's good enough that they want him back.

#237 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,306 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Greatest pitcher of all time? Or greatest human being of all time?

(Yes.)

A preemptive Chief-ing of one's own post is poor form, it takes the fun away from the next guy.

• Carole Keller likes this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#238 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,149 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

A preemptive Chief-ing of one's own post is poor form, it takes the fun away from the next guy.

Concur.
  • snepp likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#239 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

Zero-sum game, then? I win! :)

• Mike Sixel and snepp like this

#240 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:24 PM

Wonder if Lance is pissed now that Cobb signed 4 years 56 million?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lance lynn