Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins 2018 Position Analysis: Second Base

brian dozier nick gordon jorge polanco travis blankerhorn andrew bechtold
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ewen21

ewen21

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

I think Polanco and Kepler are two guys to watch this year,If they make even just a small gain offensively this lineup with be very tough

#42 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

Dozier is only 31. I figure he has 3 or 4 really good years left. Athletes playing at a high level in their mid 30s is not unusual at all.

#43 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

I think some are really underestimating the gap in production between Dozier and the replacement (most likely Gordon). Over the past four years, Dozier has posted a 120 OPS+ while averaging 32 homers, 72 walks and 17 steals per season while playing above average defense.

Keeping Dozier is something a contending team would and should do. If we believe the window is open now for the Twins, why would they let him walk?

Exactly. 

He's so much more valuable to a good team. IMO the decision to hold onto him after losing 100+ games a few years ago, and the decision to let him walk now that the Twins look like they're opening a window of contention conflict. 

I'm all about building from within, but if we're being realistic the chances of any MI prospect stepping in and replacing Dozier's production are slim. I've read other posts that suggest other players aside from Gordon or whoever ends up at 2B continue to improve and pick up the slack, but wouldn't the team still be better off with Dozier + the improved supporting cast? 

The spark notes version is that it isn't as easy as just plug in prospect X and everybody improves so the team rolls along. If the Twins are serious about trying to win while Buxton, Sano, ect are all still under rookie deals/early arbitration then it's going to a hell of a lot easier with Dozier than without him. 

#44 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

I would take the chance of letting Dozier go, if they plan to spend the money on a really good player. But if they don't think they can get such a player, I probably try hard to bring him back.

That's a fair point. If you could assure me that the $$ saved on a Dozier deal would be allocated entirely towards an area of greater need (hello starting pitching,) then I would be much more receptive to the idea of letting him go. 

I bring this up in a lot of threads, but they've put all their eggs in the development basket so I feel like every move this club makes hinges on what happens with the current core of players. How many of Buxton, Sano, Berrios, ect are sticking around past 21' or 22'? If all or a majority of those guys decide they're going to test FA what are the chances the Twins are willing to sign even half of them? It's likely in the best interest of Buxton, Sano, and Berrios to test FA, and depending on how Rosario and Polanco perform over the next season or two they might find themselves in that same boat. If a good portion of the current core is gone within the next 4-5 years, the Twins might be better off trying to maximize they currently have, and I think retaining Dozier is a step in that direction. 

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,255 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Number two in all of baseball. Implying Dozier will get paid, imo.

https://www.fangraph...gs-second-base/

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,996 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Number two in all of baseball. Implying Dozier will get paid, imo.

https://www.fangraph...gs-second-base/

As he should. And I hope the Twins are the ones paying him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, nick gordon, jorge polanco, travis blankerhorn, andrew bechtold