Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Minnesota Twins Roster Projection (2.0)

joe mauer brian dozier jose berrios byron buxton miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,492 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Here's an article about him: http://www.startribu...game/476193873/

"Twins outfield prospect Ryan LaMarre tries to keep it simple in a complex game"

Prospect? He turns 30 after the season. :)

Picky picky picky. The headline writer should have said "Twins outfield hopeful Ryan LaMarre..."

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#22 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

"Twins outfield prospect Ryan LaMarre tries to keep it simple in a complex game"

Prospect? He turns 30 after the season. :)

Picky picky picky. The headline writer should have said "Twins outfield hopeful Ryan LaMarre..."

Yeah, that definitely would have made more sense.

#23 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

That Rochester bullpen is going to be tough.

Agreed, Bobs!And if Pressly struggles, Elvis better be leaving the building quickly in favor of one of those up and coming bullpen arms.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#24 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

So why do we need both Escobar and Adrianza as backup infielders?Would it not make more sense to keep Vargas and send Adrianza through wavers? If Adrianza is welected we still would have Abar and Gordon at AAA.Will Adrianza get any playing time???He shouldn't unless someone gets hurt.I'd prefer Vargas on the Bench.  

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,255 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

I don't get the Aybar signing. He can't hit or field. I would prefer someone that can do one or both.

As for leadership.... They have no rookies, and few second year players. How many "veterans" do they still need?

I just hope if kinley is bad, or not trusted, they move on quickly.

It's a good roster. Not sure it is great, but it is good.
  • Twins33 and Oxtung like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hildenberger has about 1/3 of MLB experience under his belt and has been pretty sucky this Spring.Not sure that he is a lock...He has options.

Same with Grossman as far as suckiness goes.He does not have options, but has a non-guaranteed contract and the Twins can use part of that $2M elsewhere.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

Leadership ? Sano. He can't help himself.

Aybar keeps the infielders and 4th outfielders on their toes. They can see that he's a shadow of his former self, but his formidable reputation keeps them nervous.

Vargas.  He has had key hits on so many occasions. I hate the thought of loosing him.

Of course they should sign Lynn or Cobb or Arrieta if they can.  The Twins can't have enough good starters.

:)

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

Hildenberger has about 1/3 of MLB experience under his belt and has been pretty sucky this Spring. Not sure that he is a lock... He has options.
Same with Grossman as far as suckiness goes. He does not have options, but has a non-guaranteed contract and the Twins can use part of that $2M elsewhere.

Hildy had a 44:6 k:bb ratio in 46 innings last year.
He's absolutely a 100% lock unless he gets hurt.
The results of practice games mean nothing.
  • Oxtung likes this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hildenberger has about 1/3 of MLB experience under his belt and has been pretty sucky this Spring.Not sure that he is a lock...He has options.

Same with Grossman as far as suckiness goes.He does not have options, but has a non-guaranteed contract and the Twins can use part of that $2M elsewhere.

Unfortunately (IMO) you're right that Hildenberger isn't a lock. When interviewed, Hildy said that he was pitching as if he was competing for a spot in the bullpen. I'm not sure how much we should care about spring training box scores though. Grossman is what he is at this point, I don't think a poor ST signifies anything.

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

So why do we need both Escobar and Adrianza as backup infielders?Would it not make more sense to keep Vargas and send Adrianza through wavers? If Adrianza is welected we still would have Abar and Gordon at AAA.Will Adrianza get any playing time???He shouldn't unless someone gets hurt.I'd prefer Vargas on the Bench.  

Aybar won't necessarily be in AAA, he can opt out of his contract if he doesn't make the MLB roster.

Also, while Gordon should be in AAA, he's not on the 40-man roster yet, so I don't think he makes sense in a temporarily replacement role (not like Polanco a few years ago, who was already on the 40-man anyway).

Honestly why do you prefer Vargas? He's got a career OPS+ of 102 -- I'm not even sure he's worth pinch-hitting for anyone in our regular lineup. Maybe Castro vs LHP? But Grossman is just as good of an option for that. And Escobar would be too, if he is on the bench. And hopefully Garver would be soon too...

• Oxtung likes this

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,492 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

So why do we need both Escobar and Adrianza as backup infielders? 

They aren't interchangeable. Escobar, when healthy, has a better than average bat for a middle infielder. His glove is so-so. Adrianza has a better rep on defense, but I have my doubts he would hit well enough if given regular duty. Either one can fill in defensively, in the outfield. I forget if one has been tabbed as an emergency catcher.

On one hand, management could "pick their poison". Conversely, the two can coexist on a roster, and contribute, if no other needs are pressing.

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

I forget if one has been tabbed as an emergency catcher.

Escobar! He even caught for one inning last year (and the pitcher was Chris Gimenez, no less).

Edited by spycake, 09 March 2018 - 02:39 PM.

• ashburyjohn, Oxtung and Danchat like this

#33 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,492 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Escobar! He even caught for one inning last year (and the pitcher was Chris Gimenez, no less).

Ima stick my neck out and guess Ehire would volunteer too. :)

#34 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

Adrianza also plays corner outfield, and better than Grossy imho.

#35 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Bux stole two bases today. Why do projected line ups have him so low? I know it didn’t work well when Bux led off last year, but I’d love to see Bux, Mauer, Dozier as 1-2-3.

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

Bux stole two bases today. Why do projected line ups have him so low? I know it didn’t work well when Bux led off last year, but I’d love to see Bux, Mauer, Dozier as 1-2-3.

Ideally, you'd want high OBP guys at the top. Even at his best, Buxton is going to be more pop than on base machine.
Ideally he's a middle of the order hitter.
  • Oxtung likes this

#37 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

I like to put speed down the line up so it’s leess likely to be wasted on home runs.

#38 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:39 AM

Mine:
Catchers : Castro, Garver (2)

Infielders: Mauer, Morrison, Dozier , Polanco , Sano , Escobar, Aybar , Vargas. (8)

Outfielders: (4)
Rosie, Buck yeah , Mad Max , Rob Grossman

Pitchers: (11)
Berrios, Odorizzi , Lynn, Gibson

Rodney, Reed , Rogers , Pressly , Duke , Kinley or Duffey* , Hughes.

Hildenberger in AAA , erv santana, t. may, m. Pineda on DL

Twins Prospects? 1 S. Gonsalves  2. N. Gordon  3. Tyler Jay

4. A. Kirilloff  5. Romero, Fernando  6. Mejia, Alberto  7. K. Stewart

8.J.T. Chargois  9. Wells, Lac. 10. D. Palka  11. Wade, LaM. 12. Nic Burdi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, brian dozier, jose berrios, byron buxton, miguel sano