Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Make First Roster Cuts

felix jorge zack littell lewis thorpe dietrich enns brian navarreto
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

I think it’s possible...if he’s lights out in Rochester. I mean if he goes and pitches 2 months in Rochester and has an ERA under 2, whip around 1 (or under), is averaging 9+ k/9, and has a batting average against around or under .200 then he might be up before we think.

I'd guess they have Romero on some kind of innings count.Possible he stays in Roch through maybe July and then comes to Twins as a reliever for August, September and, hopefully, October.

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

I hope that isn't the route they take. He is our only likely option for a potential front of the rotation pitcher in the next several years. He already has had arm trouble. I'm not sure how much your plan increases the risk of arm injury but any increase is too much for my tastes, in this particular case.

Well if he was in the pen to start with they would be able to limit his innings better. If anything I'd think it would reduce his likelihood of injury if his innings are being moderated and his health is being monitored at the MLB level. 

#43 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well if he was in the pen to start with they would be able to limit his innings better. If anything I'd think it would reduce his likelihood of injury if his innings are being moderated and his health is being monitored at the MLB level. 

Do you think the team doctor is significantly better with the Twins than Rochester? Why can't they monitor his innings in Rochester? Similarly, how does being in the bullpen make them better able to monitor his innings? I would think it would be harder since he'd be getting up and down much more often and even multiple times in a day. 

Moving to the bullpen didn't work out very well for May. Now that is a sample size of one, but since Romero is literally the best chance, some might say only chance given the FO's actions this offseason, of becoming our front line pitcher I'm inclined to be exceedingly careful with him. 

#44 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

No need to rush Romero. He's our best chance of developing a front of the rotation starter, in the next year or so. The next two that are mentioned as possible front line starters are teenagers.

#45 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:59 AM

Are you suggesting that a pitcher with a history of arm problems starts the season in the bullpen and then moves to the rotation later? This sounds like the worst possible transition for him. 

If you want to limit his innings then let him pitch 125-ish in the rotation (AAA or MLB) and then move him to the bullpen down the stretch with no back to back days.

• Oxtung likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#46 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Looking at the "on the bubble" bench players, which ones are the best bets to go North with the team? Seems like that group would include Granite, Adrianza, Aybar, Vargas (most likely they try and trade him), and Grossman, Any surprise picks to make the team among the non-pitchers?

#47 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

Looking at the "on the bubble" bench players, which ones are the best bets to go North with the team? Seems like that group would include Granite, Adrianza, Aybar, Vargas (most likely they try and trade him), and Grossman, Any surprise picks to make the team among the non-pitchers?

Granite has options so I think it would take an injury for him to get a spot.

Vargas has little value considering the Twins have two 1B, a 3B that should DH (or maybe play 1B), a backup OF that should only DH and a backup catcher that is better with the bat than the glove. The Twins will be lucky to get an insignificant PTBNL for him.

I also don't see how Aybar beats out the younger and likely better Adrianza.

Grossman might not be great in the field but he can at least play OF and imo that easily puts him ahead of Vargas. I am not sure if he is still on the team at the end of the season (in favor of Granite) but he will be there to start the season.

• DaveW and Oxtung like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

Another wave of cuts this morning.

#49 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Romero heads to AA, which is a bit surprising. 

• Danchat likes this

#50 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

Romero heads to AA, which is a bit surprising.

I'm not all that surprised. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on some kind of 150 IP limit this year.

As far as timeline goes, not talent, Mejia, Gonsalves, Jorge, Littell (also sent to AA) and Slegers are all ahead of him. I feel like I'm missing someone...

And if Duffey is optioned to be a starter he'd be in AAA too.

#51 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

I'm surprised Mejia is already out of the race, so it's basically Hughes vs Duffey for the 5th starter at this point... although they won't need a 5th starter until the 2nd-3rd week of the season. It'll probably be Hughes, methinks.

#52 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: felix jorge, zack littell, lewis thorpe, dietrich enns, brian navarreto