Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Make First Roster Cuts

felix jorge zack littell lewis thorpe dietrich enns brian navarreto
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

If you believe there is no real chance a rookie makes the rotation when the Twins head north that makes sense.

EDIT- Which, by the way, I agree that no rookie will break camp in the rotation.

Slegers would be the only one with a small chance.
Absolute best case for Romero is that he opens enough eyes to be in line for a call up after you're guaranteed another year of service time.

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Well then I suppose I ought to say that I don't think a rookie will head north in April.

I guess I should also say that, because of service time games allowing an extra year of team control for a few weeks in the minors, Fernando Romero in particular absolutely should not head north in April.

I'm a bit on the fence but I'm leaning towards disagreeing with your second point. Presumably any rookie would be up with the intention of being sent back down when Santana returns. That leads to four likely outcomes.

First, Romero is pitching poorly and when Santana returns and he is sent back to the minors. This extends his service time another year.

Second, Romero is pitching ok but is still sent down when Santana returns thus extending his control.

Third, Romero is pitching phenomenally and another pitcher leaves the rotation instead. He could still be sent down at a later point in time or even in a future season to regain that seventh year of control.

Fourth, Romero gets injured and accrues MLB service time. If it is a short term injury then the first three outcomes still apply. If it is a major injury then the likelihood of Romero being the impact pitcher we are all hoping for is greatly reduced making the concern over service time, not moot, but certainly lessened.

The only scenario where service time is lost is if he is pitching amazing in which case, I'm glad they brought him up anyways. The Twins are in contention and the time is now!

• Han Joelo and MN_ExPat like this

#23 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Since it is not my team and not my dollars I am ready to drop any of those who have less talent and block his way.Can anyone tell me Mejia has a higher ceiling than Romero?

If you want to do a comparison in a vacuum, I doubt you will get many, if any, supporters of Mejia having a higher ceiling.But, circumstances do exist, and they favor Mejia being higher in the pecking order at present. Said circumstance are going to weigh more heavily on a team in the Twins market, especially considering the historical MO of ownership.

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the update, Seth,

It is appreciated.And you have a good day!

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#25 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

If that was your intent with the line "Zack Littell has had a very strong camp including a win and two saves among his outings", I'd suggest rephrasing it or adding this additional context. "Zack Littell has had a very strong camp, albeit against mostly minor league competition as evidenced by his late appearances in games."

Now, now... Let's not break out the Grammar Inquisitors just yet. ;)

• Puckett34 and spycake like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Now, now... Let's not break out the Grammar Inquisitors just yet. ;)

Ha, yeah, I was probably too hard on him. At first I was just needling him, but honestly I don't think it reads quite the way he intended either.

Taking a look at the spring training save leaderboards for the last few years was a fun exercise, though! I should thank him for that. :)

• MN_ExPat likes this

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,463 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Even though I commented preciously about the fact that Romero must have a slim chance to make the team seeing as he wasn't among the fist cuts, I'd have to guess that slim chance lies solely in the bullpen.

The team has little use for a 5th starter for the first month or so, it would make some sense to look at him as a swing man for the time being, this would also help the team manage his innings. The bullpen is looking much better this year, but there's still no iron lock for the role of long man.

#28 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

While we all know spring training saves and wins are pretty meaningless, they are still a notch above orange slices and participation trophy's, and I see no harm in throwing out some accolades.  I can remember when I had next to nothing to list on a resume; I've only recently been able to finally bump "Reserve Champion Showman in Beef at the Jerome County Fair" from my resume.

As far as the OPP/Quality stat, boy that is pretty reductive.  Drew Butera is a 9 or 10 on it, while Ronald Acuna is a 5 or 6.  I'm more interested in hearing what Molitor had to say about Littell, and I'm also intrigued by Romero's exclusion from this list.

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,693 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Service time manipulation happens less with pitchers, since they have injury issues more often, and they, generally, lose pitching velocity younger than most think. That said, I doubt he makes the roster out of the gate for many other reasons.
  • spycake and MN_ExPat like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#30 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

No Fernando Romero...yet.All of this talk of who fills the back of the rotation.I think there is a zero percent chance he comes north.But I would ask, what is the percentage chance he makes his debut by, say.....June 1?Kid has looked amazing in Ft. Myers.

#31 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Even though I commented preciously about the fact that Romero must have a slim chance to make the team seeing as he wasn't among the fist cuts, I'd have to guess that slim chance lies solely in the bullpen.

The team has little use for a 5th starter for the first month or so, it would make some sense to look at him as a swing man for the time being, this would also help the team manage his innings. The bullpen is looking much better this year, but there's still no iron lock for the role of long man.

I hope that isn't the route they take. He is our only likely option for a potential front of the rotation pitcher in the next several years. He already has had arm trouble. I'm not sure how much your plan increases the risk of arm injury but any increase is too much for my tastes, in this particular case.

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

As far as the OPP/Quality stat, boy that is pretty reductive. Drew Butera is a 9 or 10 on it, while Ronald Acuna is a 5 or 6.

Reserve Champion Beef Showman: note that Acuna spent most of last season at AA/AAA. And there aren't many Acuna's around the lower minors either, and even they fail to reach base 60+% percent of the time against a collection of minor league pitchers including many worse than Littell.

Obviously it's not a perfect indicator, but frankly neither are the subjective evaluations that filter through the media. I think it's a decent barometer for fans to gauge spring roles, if not a bit of performance too.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#33 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

I remember when Tom Kelly was here there was a general belief that AA was the key and AAA was not necessary.A good prospect can make the leap from AA to the majors and I am ready to push the envelop and go for the really good arm.Keep Romero until he proves he does not belong.  

Since it is not my team and not my dollars I am ready to drop any of those who have less talent and block his way.Can anyone tell me Mejia has a higher ceiling than Romero?

This quote - "The top prospects generally jump from AA to the majors and skip over AAA completely. It seems like the once a guys masters AA baseball, teams deem them ready to play in the majors if they have a long term opening. They don't want to move this top prospect to AAA because they have their former major leaguer there in his position. They don't want to release the former major league player from their system in case they need him. Teams also want guys playing everyday, so that they are ready to come up when needed." describes what I think about the AAA promotion.  http://baseballguru....isbunko22.html

Tom Kelly is the Voice of Yahweh for me. 

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#34 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

giphy.gif

#35 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I'm actually more surprised that Littel was sent down, and back to AA, where he dominated. They really did not give him a chance to pitch much against MLB hitters. I hope he makes it to AAA and the Twins this season.

#36 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

No Fernando Romero...yet. All of this talk of who fills the back of the rotation. I think there is a zero percent chance he comes north. But I would ask, what is the percentage chance he makes his debut by, say.....June 1? Kid has looked amazing in Ft. Myers.

I think it’s possible...if he’s lights out in Rochester. I mean if he goes and pitches 2 months in Rochester and has an ERA under 2, whip around 1 (or under), is averaging 9+ k/9, and has a batting average against around or under .200 then he might be up before we think.

#37 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 938 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

picky picky picky :)

#38 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,881 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Long ago, before the earth's crust cooled, when Gondwana was still a super-continent and not a hamburger, big league clubs would often bring a rookie pitcher into the bullpen to watch and learn from reliefosaurs and older catchers. 

Today our fangles are new. Promising young arms are grown hydroponically in climate-controlled tubes, fed a nutritious paste of goo and press clippings. It may take a little longer, and the results may be no better, but we all must acknowledge that the newer process is, in fact, newer. 

• Han Joelo, birdwatcher, scottz and 7 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#39 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

I'm actually more surprised that Littel was sent down, and back to AA, where he dominated. They really did not give him a chance to pitch much against MLB hitters. I hope he makes it to AAA and the Twins this season.

It is a numbers game. Slegers - Gonsalves - Romero - Jorge are all ahead of Littel and will be in the AAA rotation. And this doesn't include Enns (probably in the bullpen) or Mejia (probably starting the season in AAA) or someone else that I have forgotten.

Littel being in AA is due to the Twins pitching depth in the upper minors and not where he necessarily should be.

• howieramone2 likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#40 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

Littel being in AA is due to the Twins pitching depth in the upper minors and not where he necessarily should be.

Now that is a sentence I haven't heard in a very long time (or maybe ever). But it sure sounds great.
  • kab21 and Sconnie like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: felix jorge, zack littell, lewis thorpe, dietrich enns, brian navarreto