Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Aaron Slegers - 2018

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,540 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

post-13-0-99029500-1491845833_thumb.jpg

Aaron Allan Slegers (pronounced SLAY-gers)

Born: September 4, 1992 (age 25 this season)

Birthplace: Scottsdale, AZ

Signed via the amateur draft in 2013, fifth round (140th overall)

Height: 6' 10"

Weight: 245

Position: Pitcher

Throws: Right

Bats: Right

Pitching arsenal: fastball, slider, circle change

Stats at baseball-reference.com

Aaron has been adopted for a second season by yours truly. The lazy approach is being taken at the outset, by a bit of cut-and-paste from last year's post.

The Twins signed him in 2013 after a three-year career at Indiana University, where he won Big Ten Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Year honors in 2013, putting him in good company with Tyler Jay (UI 2015), Alex Wimmers (OSU 2009-10), and Glen Perkins (UM 2004).

After an initial season in Elizabethton he has moved up in the organization with pretty good speed, seeing time in both Cedar Rapids (A) and Ft Myers (A+) in 2014, Ft Myers and Chattanooga in 2015, and then Chattanooga again in 2016. 2017 was a solid year in Rochester, earning a mid-August callup to the majors for a spot start and then was added again in September. You can look up his numbers at the above link better than I can repeat them. He has done well at every stop - never consistently dominant, but always a workhorse getting the job done. Once in a while he has shut-down stuff, as witnessed by a short-game no-hitter in his first start last April. Aside from his get-the-feet-wet time in Rookie ball, he has always been used strictly as a starting pitcher.

He has a good fastball - I saw 94 on the radar gun during the one Spring game of his I watched, or 91 at times (maybe a sinker?). Off-speed at 86 but I don't know if he has anything really slow in his arsenal. He got a very nice "failed checked swing" for a strike 3 on one batter, and in the next inning I saw another called 3rd strike for a 3rd out. I have no idea if those were changeups or sliders. But those batters at least were not able to get a good read on his delivery - if it were the changeup it would be sweet - good two-strike changeups are always sweet, at least except if the batter is sitting on it.

I don't personally believe too much in slotting starting pitching prospects' ceilings as #5, #4, or whatever, but in those terms I do see Aaron as having a ceiling more like a #3 workhorse, and it's not impossible that in a few years he'd fill a #2 role in some rotation, maybe even ours. But right now he is fighting simply for a 25-man roster spot and would slot in as a #5-type if he is so fortunate, and he surely has a lot more work to do to learn the final tricks of the trade that let a pitcher succeed at the highest level.

Here is Seth Stohs's most recent TD article about Slegers, which contains lots of good tidbits that I didn't (directly [ :)] ) plagiarize.

Here are his previous Twins Daily Adopt-A-Prospect pages:

Aaron Slegers Adopt-A-Prospect 2014

Aaron Slegers Adopt-A-Prospect 2017

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#2 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

Nice write up and links. Seths article was especially interesting. I must have missed it when he put it out. ( or forgot it... I'm getting older. This is a possibility too)

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,540 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Aaron Slegers got off to an effective beginning to 2018, holding Syracuse to 1 run on 5 hits and 1 walk plus a HBP, in 6 innings of work. He needed only 66 pitches to do the job, 49 of them strikes. The only real blemish on the afternoon's work, from a scouting perspective, is a solitary strikeout against Chiefs batters. (I hope USAFChief wasn't a factor in this.) The other unfortunate feature of the game, which was outside of his influence, is that the Red Wings' bats were quiet too, and a ninth-inning run against Tyler Duffey wound up deciding the game 2-1.

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,540 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Another good outing for Aaron, who pitched 6 innings of shutout ball against the Gwinnett Stripers on Saturday. Five strikeouts go to his credit, with three hits and no walks on the debit side. One of the baserunners, Ronald Acuna, was erased when he was caught stealing, and another, Dustin Peterson, disappeared via a double play. So by my count there was only 1 LOB, Sean Kazmar Jr, who was stranded after a one-out double in the fifth. A pretty low-drama game for my guy. Adalberto Mejia came in to start the seventh and gave up a couple of runs (one unearned) in the ninth, with Matt McGill coming in to finish out the Red Wings' 4-2 Red Win over the Stripers.

In other news, a striper is apparently a striped bass, in plentitude in the local lakes there in Gwinnettvilleland. From the local, well, fishwrap: "The name is a variation of Gwinnett Big Mouths, one of the name-the-team finalists. Team officials liked Big Mouths, but didn’t like the way it sounded. From those discussions, Stripers rose above other finalists such as Buttons, Gobblers, Hush Puppies, Lambchops and Sweet Teas."

Apparently we have finally reached the point that all the good names are officially already taken.

#5 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

In other news, a striper is apparently a striped bass, in plentitude in the local lakes there in Gwinnettvilleland....

Apparently we have finally reached the point that all the good names are officially already taken.

And this also leads to Strippers as a potential typo/autocorrect...

• ashburyjohn likes this

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,540 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

Aaron had only a so-so game against the Columbus Clippers on April 21. He completed a workmanlike 6 innings, facing one additional batter in the seventh, but he gave up 3 runs on 7 hits (no walks), and was on the hook for a loss until Rochester tied up the game in the 8th, on the way to an eventual 4-3 loss. He did notch 4 strikeouts. He was lifted after 85 pitches.

Brief ex-Twin Adam Wilk was the starter for Columbus.

Four of those base hits against Slegers were doubles (three by shortstop Yu Chang), and two of the doubles contributed to the scoring. Interestingly perhaps, all three tallies against him occurred with two out - the last was a sac fly, so maybe that's just semantics - and then each time, a strikeout followed to end the inning. Slightly different sequencing could have brought a different result. Luck or ability? That's baseball, you just don't know sometimes.