Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

When do the Twins cut bait with Phil Hughes?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

One bad outing and you are talking about dumping him ? Thats a pretty quick hook, if u ask me. We are paying him for the next two years. How about saying that we'd like him to pitch, if at some time he appears as though he will get men out. If not, he will have about a two-year stay on the DL. Please don't put him on the Twins mound until he can make a good case for being able to get outs. :)

I don't agree this is a quick hook. He hasn't been able to effectively get outs for 3 years...
  • notoriousgod71 likes this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

It's March 4th. No veteran will or should be cut for the next couple of weeks.

If Hughes is still ineffective later in March, then we talk about what to do.

• birdwatcher, Blake, gunnarthor and 7 others like this

#23 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

It's worth pointing out that Duffey was equally terrible in this game.

It seems clear that the strategy was to try to get the two of them stretched out and have them pitch 3 innings.Neither of them made it.

• Sconnie, Dman and Vanimal46 like this

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

I don't even want the 2-3 April starts. His arm/body has been toast for 3 years...

Twins need a roster spot more than they need the disappearing chance that Phil Hughes will regain that extra couple mph on his heater.

Cutting Hughes allows him to "retire" for a year, pump his butt full of steroids, pump iron, flush out the 'roids, then miraculously come back in 2019 throwing 96 as Bartolo Hughes. Everybody happy.

Meanwhile they've got an extra roster spot to protect one of their prospects. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 04 March 2018 - 11:15 AM.

• h2oface and Original Whizzinator like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#25 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

I think he makes the team as the 5th starter or a long reliever.I've said that I don't think they need a 5th starter when they break camp.They will need one twice in April due to days off.They may need fewer if there are rain outs.Remember Terry Mulholland?Dude had rubber in the arm and not much left in the tank, but he was the crafty veteran out of the pen that we would put out there when the game was out of hand and we needed innings.That could be Hughes roll.

The only difference being Hughes is like ten years younger and is set to make about ten times as much.Other than that, yeah.....

• gocgo and jimmer like this

#26 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Okay, I've mentioned it before, but, here goes: I wrote off Mauer last year and he went on to have a very Mauer year.

Going with that small sample size of one, I am now officially writing off Hughes and hope the FO makes a move to get rid of Mr. Hughes.

Time to take the money and retire, Mr. Hughes. 

There, that is the official "kiss of lifetm" for Mr. Hughes.

:)

Edited by Blake, 04 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Han Joelo and 10 others like this

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

It's worth pointing out that Duffey was equally terrible in this game.

It seems clear that the strategy was to try to get the two of them stretched out and have them pitch 3 innings. Neither of them made it.

why Pressly between them?

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,396 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

While I agree that it's premature to discuss this, for the sake of discussion I'll toss out this prediction: at the end of Spring Training, Hughes negotiates a buyout that is favorable to the team, say $10M, relieving them of the need to cut him outright, and he retires.

• Han Joelo, Blake, h2oface and 3 others like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

While I agree that it's premature to discuss this, for the sake of discussion I'll toss out this prediction: at the end of Spring Training, Hughes negotiates a buyout that is favorable to the team, say $10M, relieving them of the need to cut him outright, and he retires.

That would be surprising -- leaving $16.4 mil on the table? Would that be an MLB record? Even Gil Meche only walked away from $12 mil, and that was primarily just to avoid surgery and rehab in the final year of his deal. Hughes has already had the surgery and rehab -- twice.

EDIT: I guess Ryne Sandberg's first retirement had him forfeiting $16 mil in 1994, which is obviously a lot more in present-day dollars. But I believe Sandberg had some personal issues at the time, and actually un-retired a year and a half later.

Edited by spycake, 04 March 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hughes is as cooked as Perkins' was. Only his ego is keeping him in the game at this point. But he has to be cut to get the money, so that is what will have to happen. I doubt he will do a Cuddyer. 

If he hangs around..... the only hope I have is in the pen, which is where I would have put him since September of 2015.

#31 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Yeah they might as well hold onto him until the end of ST. Absolutely 0 harm in that. 

IMO the "ST stats don't really matter," sentiment is starting to become a pretty convenient shield. He hasn't been an effective pitcher for a while now. Poor ST performances at this point should be big red flags, not shoulder shrugs. 

• Doomtints likes this

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,396 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

That would be surprising -- leaving $16.4 mil on the table? Would that be an MLB record?

I am just throwing out an idea in response to the thread starter. And anyway, records are made to be broken. :)

Pick a slightly higher buyout number, then. Leave the second year money on the table, for instance.

But there are two additional thoughts behind the wacky idea. First, while I spelled out the obvious benefit to the team, the benefit to the player is to no longer have to jump all the hurdles spelled out by a MLB contract, staying in shape and doing whatever is necessary to remain able to play at a high level, if the outcome has become obviously futile. My staying in the best possible shape is well worth earning $13M to me of course, but maybe another person than I would see it differently at this stage of the career.

Second, at the time of his contract extension, much was made of the player's having turned down the chance to pitch an extra inning or so, to invoke an incentive clause. The implication was that the front office viewed this as demonstrating exactly what a high-character guy he was - I think they just came right out and said it. I don't discount the FO's judgement on that, so another financial concession from Hughes would be in keeping with the picture drawn. I would not have made a similar guess on someone like, say, Nolasco, and that's not casting any aspersions at anyone by saying so.

Anyway, it's just a fun guess. If I hit the jackpot, someone pay up; if I'm wrong, I'll go back and erase any mention of my having said so. I'm a high-character guy, y'know. :)

• Han Joelo, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 3 others like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

I could see him retiring if he needed another surgery. But in the meantime, I think he would go the Anibal Sanchez route first and ask to go to the minors before he would even think about leaving money on the table to retire. He might also just tell the Twins to release him so he can find another team to give him that opportunity.

Unlike Nishioka and Park, Hughes presumably doesn't have any incentive to end his MLB contract to go to Asia. :)
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

That would be surprising -- leaving $16.4 mil on the table? Would that be an MLB record? Even Gil Meche only walked away from $12 mil, and that was primarily just to avoid surgery and rehab in the final year of his deal. Hughes has already had the surgery and rehab -- twice.

EDIT: I guess Ryne Sandberg's first retirement had him forfeiting $16 mil in 1994, which is obviously a lot more in present-day dollars. But I believe Sandberg had some personal issues at the time, and actually un-retired a year and a half later.

Huh, I always think of Meche giving away more than $12m but I suppose you're right. He only walked away from his last season, didn't he?

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

Huh, I always think of Meche giving away more than $12m but I suppose you're right. He only walked away from his last season, didn't he?

Correct. And Meche had already put off shoulder surgery about as long as possible, so his choice actually wasn't too surprising -- he would have likely needed surgery and rehab to collect that final year salary, and he probably would have been looking at a minimum salary / nonguaranted deal coming back the next year too. So it was a pretty natural spot to retire, given the circumstances.

#36 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Same question- Anibal Sanchez.

#37 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

I betting he will be here all of spring training its way to early to know what he has for somebody that hasn't pitched in nearly a year and then it had been 9 months before that. His fast ball is now between 90 and 92 still slower than his peak but faster than last year when his fast ball was 87 to 89 miles hour. Other thing is can he learn to pitch with slower stuff and be effective like CC Sabathia has done last couple of years. The Twins hope either can perform where they can keep him on the squad or something else comes up physically that he can go on DL where there insurance can pickup his salary. If not the Twins could cut him or he may retire because he has certain amount of pride where he wants to be able to compete and if he can't he may call it quits. A lot of ifs here and it will have to play out this spring season. This regime can cut him and blame it on the former group for signing Hughes. 

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

I see a lot of 60 day DL suggestions. He's pitching now, I'm wondering what the basis for any DL stint, let alone a 60 day-er is. I think if they try to shelf him and clear a roster spot for him simply due to ineffectiveness and poor velocity the team will have some questions to answer from both the league and the union.
  • adorduan and Vanimal46 like this

#39 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

I see a lot of 60 day DL suggestions. He's pitching now, I'm wondering what the basis for any DL stint, let alone a 60 day-er is. I think if they try to shelf him and clear a roster spot for him simply due to ineffectiveness and poor velocity the team will have some questions to answer from both the league and the union.

Whiplash would be quite believable.

• USAFChief, LimestoneBaggy, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#40 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

If i went through 2 surgeries like that to try to make it back, I would continue to push into the season with a dl stint or minor league stint or bullpen...

I would want to be fully sure i cant come back. Phil should push till next season. If he cant make the team after next spring is the time to see if a negotiated buyout is possible or a release.

Phil does seem like the type to do a settlememt but again not this year.

Edited by Brandon, 04 March 2018 - 07:28 PM.

• ashburyjohn and MN_ExPat like this