Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

How does Spring Training work for Minor Leagues?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:19 AM

Do the minor leaguers play games as well?  Any way to check out stats

#2 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

Do the minor leaguers play games as well?  Any way to check out stats

Yes, they play the games, broken into 4 to 5 groupings (AAA, AA, High A, Low A, GCL/Etown), due to other prospects being in MLB camp you'll often see a High A guy playing on the AA or AAA squad.Stats are not kept for the public as often lineups are skipped around, innings are abruptly ended if a pitcher has thrown too much, etc.Still I highly recommend going and checking them out some of my favorite times are spent on the minor league backfields.

• Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, Thrylos and 2 others like this

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,232 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Yes, they play the games, broken into 4 to 5 groupings (AAA, AA, High A, Low A, GCL/Etown), due to other prospects being in MLB camp you'll often see a High A guy playing on the AA or AAA squad.Stats are not kept for the public as often lineups are skipped around, innings are abruptly ended if a pitcher has thrown too much, etc.Still I highly recommend going and checking them out some of my favorite times are spent on the minor league backfields.

Exactly.

A few more interesting things about minor league ST games:

- there are only against Boston, Tampa or Baltimore because of proximity

- about half of the teams will be traveling, so there are usually a couple games a day

- sometimes major leaguers in rehab come and play there as well

- sometimes a rehabbing player hits in every inning out of order to get 3-4 quick PAs and then he goes

- games against other teams are every day but Sunday.On Sundays AAA plays AA and A+ plays A

- Rookie league players usually play among themselves

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,911 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

And isn’t the day’s schedule typically practice/drills in the morning, games in the afternoon? When’s the best time to see what activities?
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

The minor league schedule is now out.There's a couple games each day at home.The first 3 days will be intersquad games and then on to playing other teams.Report date is the 6th and first games are 11th and then the 14th they start playing other teams.Rochester breaks camp April 2nd.

he gone!

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Is the minor league schedule online anywhere?

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

And isn’t the day’s schedule typically practice/drills in the morning, games in the afternoon? When’s the best time to see what activities?

Yeah, typically they do their stretching at 9 or so for 20 minutes and then they do work groups until 11 or 11:30. They'll go to lunch for a little while, and then once games start, they start at 1. 

• Carole Keller likes this

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, typically they do their stretching at 9 or so for 20 minutes and then they do work groups until 11 or 11:30. They'll go to lunch for a little while, and then once games start, they start at 1. 

Am I completely mis-remembering, or aren't games underway at noon sometimes?

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Am I completely mis-remembering, or aren't games underway at noon sometimes?

I think most are at 1, but sometimes they get going a little early. I think Sunday's are also at 9 or 10. 

• Carole Keller likes this

#10 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

The minor league schedule is now out.There's a couple games each day at home.The first 3 days will be intersquad games and then on to playing other teams.Report date is the 6th and first games are 11th and then the 14th they start playing other teams.Rochester breaks camp April 2nd.

With minor league intra-team spring training starting today, I was wondering if we (i.e. TD group) will have any eyes on these games as in past years?