Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

One Last Move

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:47 AM

Hey Cobb, if you get to 180ip, we promise not to give you a QO.

Sounds like a pretty good incentive to me

We wouldn't be allowed to give him another QO regardless -- the new CBA prohibits QO's to players who have received them before. Which is why I think Lynn or Cobb could be more receptive to a 1 year deal than past FAs, although obviously they are still trying to get something better.

#22 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

No more signings, but we should look at trading for a pitcher starter, reliever, doesn't matter. And since Falvine seems reluctant to give up a high draft pick, I'd prefer we break even and put some nice prospects such as Gordon, Kirilloff, Graterol, Enlow, etc on table and then replenish the system with college players who they think will "sprint through the system."

And although our bullpen seems complete I'm not comfortable with Rogers as our top lefty or Duke as Bosher's replacement, soooo why not offer Gordon, Graterol, Enlow, Stewart, and Lamonte Wade for Brad Hand, a multi-inning relief ace.

The only thing stopping the Padres from jumping on that offer is seeing if they can take further advantage of the MN front office.
  • ashburyjohn and Doctor Wu like this

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

If Lynn or Cobb will come over on a 1 year deal OK. Otherwise I have no interest in them. To me both pitchers look more likely to bust than to benefit.

I'd rather this team spend it's money but I don't want to tie up roster spots long term for guys I don't like. I like Danny Duffy, I like Chris Archer, but among starters who maybe, possibly are available, that's about it as far as quality goes. At this point if those two aren't on the table, I'd rather wait and make a move midseason. All the talk these days is about tanking and rebuilding so teams might be more willing to waive the white flag and move assets earlier than they used to. Let's see if the Mariners have a terrible start and will listen on James Paxon. The Mets think they'll compete; funny joke. Maybe in a couple months they'll listen on one of their big arms. The Orioles, Blue Jays, Dbacks, Cardinals and Rockies also have the looks of teams that could possibly go south despite high expectations, and they all have starters I'd be interested in.

• glunn, Han Joelo, birdwatcher and 1 other like this

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

Don't forget, we also have Jorge and Thorpe in the wings, too. Not to mention...Kohl Stewart.

Phil Hughes IS the big question mark, as well as where you place Trevor May at some point.

Let's get a solid set line-up, none of this musical chairs in the order. And hope the bullpen can stay sharp and strong. I hop the Twins only go with 7 in the bullpen, at least to start the season until Santana returns. They have Rogers, Duffey and the fifth starter as potential long guys.

Nice to know we will have Busenitz, Moya and Curtiss getting innings in the wings, plus Michael Kohn can be a dark horse if someone goes on longterm disability.
  • glunn likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

Lt_Columbo_Social_Media_Strategiest_AISM

• prouster likes this

#26 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

Howabout this:

Rays Get:

Kepler

Chance Adams

Yankees Get:

Honeywell 

Gordon

Twins Get:

Clint Frazier

Chris Archer

Done!

• glunn likes this

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Howabout this:

Rays Get:

Kepler

Chance Adams

Yankees Get:

Honeywell 

Gordon

Twins Get:

Clint Frazier

Chris Archer

Done!

I'd guess if all the Rays get for Archer are Kepler and Adams, the Yankees wouldn't even bother with the Twins, they'd just offer Frazier and Adams and take Archer for themselves.

• glunn likes this

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, that trade makes the least sense for the Yankees. In an offseason where they couldn't upgrade their pitching, why would they swap their top SP prospect for an injured one, and let Archer go to another team in the same deal?
  • glunn and Physics Guy like this

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Don't forget, we also have Jorge and Thorpe in the wings, too. Not to mention...Kohl Stewart.

Phil Hughes IS the big question mark, as well as where you place Trevor May at some point.

Let's get a solid set line-up, none of this musical chairs in the order. And hope the bullpen can stay sharp and strong. I hop the Twins only go with 7 in the bullpen, at least to start the season until Santana returns. They have Rogers, Duffey and the fifth starter as potential long guys.

Nice to know we will have Busenitz, Moya and Curtiss getting innings in the wings, plus Michael Kohn can be a dark horse if someone goes on longterm disability.

Speaking of Kohl Stewart, is he definitely still planning on pitching in the Twins system this year? And if so, which level? As for Trevor May, I had hoped he'd be ready to make some Spring Training appearances. Did he have another set-back or was putting him on the disabled list expectedor possibly used as a strategy to get someone else on the 40-man roster?

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Speaking of Kohl Stewart, is he definitely still planning on pitching in the Twins system this year? And if so, which level? As for Trevor May, I had hoped he'd be ready to make some Spring Training appearances. Did he have another set-back or was putting him on the disabled list expected or possibly used as a strategy to get someone else on the 40-man roster?

Yes, Stewart is playing baseball this year. I would guess he starts at AA again, due to his own performance there and the fact there really won't be room in the AAA rotation right away, barring a few injuries.

Trevor May only had surgery last March, so it would be pushing it to have him pitching to MLB hitters this month. Also keep in mind he is planning to start again, yet he hasn't started a game in over 2 years and hasn't had a full season of starting since 2014. So it makes sense to push back his 2018 debut -- with the 60-day DL, he can spend April in extended spring training, and then the month of May in rehab assignments in the minor leagues. Still has an option left, so he could be activated from the DL and optioned around June 1st if he is still not quite ready for prime time (or hopefully we don't have a rotation opening for him!).
  • glunn and gil4 like this

#31 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

No more signings, but we should look at trading for a pitcher starter, reliever, doesn't matter. And since Falvine seems reluctant to give up a high draft pick, I'd prefer we break even and put some nice prospects such as Gordon, Kirilloff, Graterol, Enlow, etc on table and then replenish the system with college players who they think will "sprint through the system." 

And although our bullpen seems complete I'm not comfortable with Rogers as our top lefty or Duke as Bosher's replacement, soooo why not offer Gordon, Graterol, Enlow, Stewart, and Lamonte Wade for Brad Hand, a multi-inning relief ace.

I understand that Brad Hand is local, young and very good.But trading Gordon, Graterol, Enlow, Stewart and Wade for him?All five?Personally, believe that the Twins should not trade Graterol or Enlow.Both have the potential to be that ACE we have longed for.

• darin617 and Twins33 like this

#32 Splash

Splash

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

I’m fine with going into the season with the players we have. We have the talent to compete for one of the wildcard spots and if we are close to Cleveland at the deadline then we trade for a top starting pitcher. No need to commit long term to a pitcher that likely wouldn’t push us over the top anyway. I would be fine with a one year deal for either Lynn or Cobb though.
  • Kelly Vance likes this

#33 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

I’m fine with going into the season with the players we have. We have the talent to compete for one of the wildcard spots and if we are close to Cleveland at the deadline then we trade for a top starting pitcher. No need to commit long term to a pitcher that likely wouldn’t push us over the top anyway. I would be fine with a one year deal for either Lynn or Cobb though.

Even a three year deal for either one wouldn't be bad.

#34 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

I want us to keep our draft pick! \m/

#35 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

For me, the one last move should be to extend our best players to guarantee future contention.  Doze two or three years at market, extend our outfielders and Berrios.  Sano is in limbo for now. Mauer a one year 10 million. If he'd do that. 

#36 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Purely hypothetical question. IF Greg Holland does not get any offers to be anyone's closer, do we go to plan B for FA pitching and sign him on a cheap one year deal (maybe 7-8 million)?

*and if Arrieta/Cobb/Lynn end up out of our price range*

This way, if we get 5 solid inn from our starters every game (especially Gibson and Mejia), we have a really strong pen to shorten the game.

We can have a closer by committee system and rotate Rodney, Reed and Holland, along with having really good depth for 6th/7th inn matchups. 

Edited by cmoss84, 07 March 2018 - 01:23 PM.

• glunn and jsink22 like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#37 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Purely hypothetical question. IF Greg Holland does not get any offers to be anyone's closer, do we go to plan B for FA pitching and sign him on a cheap one year deal (maybe 7-8 million)?

*and if Arrieta/Cobb/Lynn end up out of our price range*

This way, if we get 5 solid inn from our starters every game (especially Gibson and Mejia), we have a really strong pen to shorten the game.

We can have a closer by committee system and rotate Rodney, Reed and Holland, along with having really good depth for 6th/7th inn matchups. 

I think the new brass is generally not into the "closer" tag, and have sort of gifted it to Rodney, despite him not being our most shut down reliever. I would look at Reed and Holland as firemen, and Rodney is the 9th inning guy. 

I think they should be kicking tires on Holland regardless. 

• glunn and Sconnie like this

#38 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

If Lynn or Cobb will come over on a 1 year deal OK. Otherwise I have no interest in them. To me both pitchers look more likely to bust than to benefit.

Bust?!?Seriously?Come-onnnn, based on what?

#39 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

I think the answer is none of the above.I believe the deadline is June 1 as far as having to give up a draft pick (anyone remember the Kendrys Morales signing?).After that, if they aren't signed, they become a possibility.Feels like FO wants to see what they have (for this year and next) in.....Mejia, May, Gonsalves, Romero, Littell, Hughes, Duffey, etc. before committing to an FA.

• glunn likes this

#40 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

It’s not going to be Lance Lynn. It’s been reported the Twins offered Lynn a 2 yr $20 million offer. It looks like they didn’t even make a real attempt at Lynn just like Darvish. So no, I am not buying they really tried to get Lynn because a 3 yr $45 million contract might have been enough to sign him.