Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

One Last Move

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

The FO has done a nice job this off season in adding some key pieces to the puzzle. However, it still feels like one more signing is coming. I am not good at creating polls-so here is my question in normal thread format:

Choose between these three options for a 1 year/$12 million deal 

A ) Lynn (buying into his stuff and experience)

B ) Cobb (buying into his experience in the AL/AL East)

C ) Moose (anticipating Sano missing some time and buying into an all-lefty lineup)

* I understand they might be more expensive. This is purely hypothetical. 

Edited by cmoss84, 27 February 2018 - 01:28 PM.

• ashburyjohn, glunn and FunnyPenguin like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#2 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I still think A) or B) are possibilities.C) nope.  

I assume the longer this drags out the lower prices will go.Desperation could set in.

If Cobb or Lynn are willing to take some sort of 1-2 year deal, that would open up a lot of possibilities.

I think the Players Association Spring Training Camp opens up this week.So the left over Free Agents should start to be signed shortly after that I would hope, but perhaps that camp can get them into good enough form they can wait until the season starts.

#3 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

Nah. With Pineda, May, Gonsalves and Romero all looking ready for starting jobs next year (and the last three looking ready in June or July of this year) I don't want to sign another starting pitcher to multiple years. Let's save that money for signing some good position players/relievers next offseason (depending on what happens with Sano, Mauer, Rooker, Morrison, etc.) and/or extending Buxton, Berrios, etc.

Edited by nytwinsfan, 27 February 2018 - 01:38 PM.

• Dman and Twodogs like this

#4 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

Certainly feels like there may be another signing given the market's climate.  Of your options listed, I'd say its more likely to be A or B, leaning towards Cobb.  

I also wouldn't be surprised if the only other move left is Vargas traded or DFA'd to make room on the 40-man for Aybar. But Vargas is getting moved somehow, unfortunately.

In summary, there is at least one move left.  Just depends on if that player is in FT Myers yet or not.

• Loosey and Vanimal46 like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#5 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

This leads to my main beef with the Twinkies FO. If this were the Rays, this would probably be the second year in the majors for Gonsalves, and Romero would be starting out of camp, as would Stewart. Tyler Jay would be in his second year in the bull pen, and Hughes would be long gone. Meanwhile, Nick Gordon would be penciled in as the Super U, and...

Well, if this were the Rays, they already would have traded Sano to Boston for a first round pick and three top prospects, then brought in Moose. 

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#6 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

I don't see much else in the free agent pool. Maybe they'll consider Trevor Cahill for cheap to be deployed as a multi-inning reliever?

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,425 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

There's a need and hopefully room in the budget for one more SP. That way we can eliminate Hughes and Sanchez from consideration in the opening day rotation.
  • Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan and wsnydes like this

#8 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

I doubt he would sign a one year deal but I would (and a lot of other teams as well) like Arrieta on a one year deal.Maybe as opening day gets closer and he is still unemployed that might happen.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#9 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

Nah. With Pineda, May, Gonsalves and Romero all looking ready for starting jobs next year (and the last three looking ready in June or July of this year) I don't want to sign another starting pitcher to multiple years. Let's save that money for signing some good position players/relievers next offseason (depending on what happens with Sano, Mauer, Rooker, Morrison, etc.) and/or extending Buxton, Berrios, etc.

But, Gonsalves and Romero are probably on an innings limit this year, probably fairly significant innings limit.May will be the wild card if he can come back and perform it should all be moot.Also, if Hughes can perform it would go a long ways also, Hughes has to be able to keep hitters off balance and with an 87 MPH fastball that isn't likely to happen, but with 91-92 he might be able to because he knows how to pitch.But if the Twins are looking to do big things this year they may have to go out and get someone.3 years 45 mill and an opt out so if they do well they will go and test the market again??

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#10 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

All Moose belong in Minnesota.
  • glunn, Riverbrian and Doctor Wu like this

#11 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

All Moose belong in Minnesota.

All your Moose are belong to us.

Edited by Craig Arko, 27 February 2018 - 03:05 PM.

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#12 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

I think we're done. Sano missed a loot of time last... every season. Morrison is a fine insurance plan to replace the bat. I don't think it's good business to bring in Sanchez on an MLB contract only to pull any chance of making the team out from under him. Unless we told him ahead of time he only gets a chance to compete with whoever we bring in. Don't need a bad rep worth players and agents.

#13 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

I think a 1 year deal with incentives for Cobb gets done with Odo and Morrison leading the recruiting train. He gets to prove his worth and we get to continue closing the gap on CLE. Maybe 180 innings gives him a second year for an additional 12 mil?

If Gordon, et al, have big first halves, I see them making a trade for a true Ace. 

That would put your second half rotation as:

New Ace???

Berrios

Cobb

Odorizzi

Santana

Which is exceptional.

• glunn and cmoss84 like this

#14 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

I don't think they do anything significant.

If they get an opportunity with Cobb or Lynn that they can't turn down, then OK. But, I don't see them actively outbidding anyone.

I don't think there's room offensively. I can't see Sano's punishment being that such he is removed from the roster for a singifcant amount of time. Maybe I'm not up to date on the facts.

#15 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

I'd have no trouble with either of the pitchers, but I give an EMPHATIC no to Moustakas

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

Give Cobb a one year deal with some sweet incentives.  

#17 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

Hey Cobb, if you get to 180ip, we promise not to give you a QO.

Sounds like a pretty good incentive to me
  • FunnyPenguin likes this

#18 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

I think we're done. Sano missed a loot of time last... every season. Morrison is a fine insurance plan to replace the bat. I don't think it's good business to bring in Sanchez on an MLB contract only to pull any chance of making the team out from under him. Unless we told him ahead of time he only gets a chance to compete with whoever we bring in. Don't need a bad rep worth players and agents.

Even if we sign Lynn/Cobb the 5th starter spot is still open to competition between Sanchez/Hughes/Majia. 

#19 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

I don't think they do anything significant.

If they get an opportunity with Cobb or Lynn that they can't turn down, then OK. But, I don't see them actively outbidding anyone.

I don't think there's room offensively. I can't see Sano's punishment being that such he is removed from the roster for a singifcant amount of time. Maybe I'm not up to date on the facts.

I tend to agree. Unless there is some sort of video tape we're not aware of, I don't know what MLB's investigation is going to consist of other than interviewing the 4 people. I expect some sort of short suspension and counseling. I'm a bit surprised they're not done yet. 

#20 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

No more signings, but we should look at trading for a pitcher starter, reliever, doesn't matter. And since Falvine seems reluctant to give up a high draft pick, I'd prefer we break even and put some nice prospects such as Gordon, Kirilloff, Graterol, Enlow, etc on table and then replenish the system with college players who they think will "sprint through the system." 

And although our bullpen seems complete I'm not comfortable with Rogers as our top lefty or Duke as Bosher's replacement, soooo why not offer Gordon, Graterol, Enlow, Stewart, and Lamonte Wade for Brad Hand, a multi-inning relief ace.