Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Robbie Grossman tells Gladden he only needs 10 Spring Training at bats

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• 95 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

He's a .251 lifetime hitter.

Maybe he needs more time and he just never figured it out

Right. So you must be thinking about the part of the conversation where Robbie Grossman said, "Blessedly, I've been such a valuable player throughout my career - never in the position of scrapping for a roster spot - that managers have uncritically agreed with my view of spring readiness and just stopped putting me in the lineup after ten at bats." 

Because that's the only way I can imagine you're still comfortable making this uncharitable connection between an in-game interview and his work ethic. But the good news is that the conversation you seem to have heard never happened, and since 2012, Grossman has logged 18, 22, 50, 53, 39, 42, and now 14 (that's four more than ten, if you're scoring at home) at bats in Spring Training games. 

The silly thing about all this is that I don't carry any water for Grossman the player. He's an okay bench piece, but doesn't do enough good things well to ever have the liberty of going into spring without working his ass off to win a roster spot. But I think pretending we know the slightest thing about his work ethic from this interview is contemptible. Like, it's for villains. Just don't do it.

• Twins33 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#42 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

People with career .727 OPSes probably shouldn't say this.

But then someone with a career .880 OPS would never say it, so.......

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#43 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,571 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

I couldn't care less if Grossman said he didn't need Spring Training at all to get into a rhythm. Athletes say stupid crap all the time, it's part of their ego and desire to win.

This is a really pointless thing to get riled up about.

#44 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

The silly thing about all this is that I don't carry any water for Grossman the player. He's an okay bench piece, but doesn't do enough good things well to ever have the liberty of going into spring without working his ass off to win a roster spot. But I think pretending we know the slightest thing about his work ethic from this interview is contemptible. Like, it's for villains. Just don't do it.

​Our discussion is not about the underlined part.It is about his value.I agree with the original poster's assessment of the comments in a way.I don't care to defend what I feel.I am interested in the facts.I think bench players needn't have job security.To me, Grossman isn't a "good fit" and we can find another guy to be the 4th outfielder who makes more sense.Like someone who can actually play outfield.

#45 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,399 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Grossman is a great fit for this team.

The Twins use Grossman to platoon in RF versus lefties, and then is substituted with Kepler later on, if necessary. If Grossman can get his platoon splits looking more like they were in 2016, he'll be a key bench piece.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#46 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,399 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

Also, sort of ironic that since Grossman made those comments, he has mysteriously been getting a lot of at bats. Word travels fast, eh? :)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#47 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,139 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

Can you imagine if Sano would have said the same thing Grossman did?  That would be funny!

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.