Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Robbie Grossman tells Gladden he only needs 10 Spring Training at bats

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 GM64

GM64

• 51 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

To me, Robbie G will have a tough time fitting in on any team.He does a lot of little things right.Has quality at bats, etc.The problem is that he's a liability in the field compared to the other guys we have to roam the outfield.At the same time, he's not a bat to bring off the bench when looking for some pop...like a typical DH or pinch hitter.  

He reminds me a lot of Randy Bush -- who was an important piece on some very good teams.Bushslugged a bit better, had a little worse OBP -- had a 102 OPS+ (101 for Grossman), and hit only left-handed.I think Grossman is victim of his era.There were 14 (or even 15, but mostly 14) hitters on a MLB team during Bush's time.There was room for someone who was just a professional hitter and a fringe adequate fielder.Grossman is not at all a bad 14th piece -- can pinch hit, CAN play the field, though not well.CAN play a larger role for a couple weeks if necessary, etc. But there is no 14th piece.  

• ashbury and gocgo like this

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,266 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

During today's radio/TV simulcast Gladden and Provus were bantering about getting at bats.

Apparently Robbie Grossman told Gladden he only needs ten at bats to prepare for the season.

It was left to lie without much discussion.

If this is true, Molitor is failing the culture of work ethic that Gardy let slip so badly, and Robbie should be on a bus to Rochester when the club heads North.

I don't like the comment.Do you WANT TO play baseball or what?

I don't care if it is misplaced confidence, him being straight up, whatever.This is not the kind of lackadaisical kind of stuff I need to hear from a player whose sole mission is to walk.Yay Robbie!He is a horrendous fielder (almost a danger to others out there), he can't run, he isn't all that great a hitter.....HIs career WAR is 2.3 after over 1,600 plate appearances.  

The next thing I want to hear about him is simply....

"Grossman cut."

No elaboration required.

And I agree with you.I think a mantra a lot of Twins players need to stop repeating is, "not trying to do too much".What is wrong with doing something extra?The way some of the players on this team toss that phrase around is starting to get irritating.As if it is a horrible thing expending a little extra energy.Heaven forbid you might be seen "trying to do too much!!"

What could be more horrible than that??

#23 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

I only need 9 at bats.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Not a moderator, despite the rumors

• 25,388 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

I only need 9 at bats.

I just realized - with Walks being a big part of Grossman's offensive game - maybe he means he wants 75 PA and plans on only 10 of them being AB. :)

• Doomtints and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

#25 jctwins

jctwins

• 430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

I don't care if it is misplaced confidence, him being straight up, whatever.This is not the kind of lackadaisical kind of stuff I need to hear from a player whose sole mission is to walk.Yay Robbie!He is a horrendous fielder (almost a danger to others out there), he can't run, he isn't all that great a hitter.....HIs career WAR is 2.3 after over 1,600 plate appearances.  

"Grossman cut."

No elaboration required.

And I agree with you.I think a mantra a lot of Twins players need to stop repeating is, "not trying to do too much".What is wrong with doing something extra?The way some of the players on this team toss that phrase around is starting to get irritating.As if it is a horrible thing expending a little extra energy.Heaven forbid you might be seen "trying to do too much!!"

At least one person here seems to get it.

This is a team culture issue. Say stuff like this when you've won a world championship.

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

At least one person here seems to get it.

This is a team culture issue. Say stuff like this when you've won a world championship.

In my humble opinion I think you are misreading the situation. I heard that comment also and I don't think Grossman sounded cocky or lackadaisical at all. That's kind of how he is. Like others have said, pitchers need spring training more than the hitters. The way playing time is divvied up in spring, 10 at bats (or thereabouts) may mean two weeks' worth of games. That could be Grossman's way of saying he's ready by mid-March, which doesn't sound so far-fetched.

And actually, Gladden did circle back a couple innings later to say "no way a player only needs 10 at bats" :)
  • h2oface likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

Frankly, those were similar comments to what the people on mlb.tv were saying. ST is for pitchers, hitters can get back in the flow very quickly.

Tell that to Kendrys Morales.

I kid. I mostly agree.

#28 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

I take very little that's said between the players and the on-air talent seriously, especially if it's said off camera and later referred to.

These guys are basically teammates. They travel and work together everyday. There's a lot of context left out.

• Mike Sixel, ThejacKmp, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#29 jctwins

jctwins

• 430 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

In my humble opinion I think you are misreading the situation. I heard that comment also and I don't think Grossman sounded cocky or lackadaisical at all. That's kind of how he is. Like others have said, pitchers need spring training more than the hitters. The way playing time is divvied up in spring, 10 at bats (or thereabouts) may mean two weeks' worth of games. That could be Grossman's way of saying he's ready by mid-March, which doesn't sound so far-fetched.

And actually, Gladden did circle back a couple innings later to say "no way a player only needs 10 at bats" :)

Well I did miss Gladden circling back, and I took his reaction and transferred it in part to mine.

I get what's being said here, but I think there is an arrogance that has crept into the vernacular of way too many of these guys that are getting paid a king's ransom to play a child's game.

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,858 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

I think the comment means absolutely nothing. He could have said something totally different the next day. But it looks like he will need more than 12, as he is yet to get a hit after 12 ABs.

#31 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

This could be the most over hyped thread I have ever read on this site.I was expecting something major, not a comment how he can be ready in 10 AB's.Meaningful baseball can't get here soon enough.

FWIW it only takes me 10 swings to get ready for slow pitch softball! 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#32 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

"Grossman cut."

No elaboration required.

Wow, look at the hot take.

All the guy said is that with ten at-bats he feels ready for Opening Day. Not that he refuses to take more than ten at-bats or that he thinks he's too good for spring training - just that after ten at-bats he feels back in the swing of things.

And he said this on a radio show. I don't think he was unburdening his soul.

There's a lot of Robbie Grossman hate on TD of late. I don't get it. He's a very solid 4th OF who fills a lot of holes for the Twins. in this day and age of a three or four man bench, his ability to play an okay OF and be a switch hitter off the bench has more value than Granite, another left handed hitter who only makes sense if you love pinch running or have an OF who needs to be replaced in games (the Twins don't).

• Twins33, Celebrity Weddings! and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#33 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,959 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

I knew guys who had a few at bats and seemed ready for the season. I don't believe I ever hit >.200 pre-season. And almost never <.333 once the season started. I hated those fast starters. They annoyed me.

Robbie will be fine, is my guess.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#34 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

I just realized - with Walks being a big part of Grossman's offensive game - maybe he means he wants 75 PA and plans on only 10 of them being AB. :)

No way he gets that many AB's in so few PA's.

Pfft.
  • ashbury likes this

#35 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

Wow, look at the hot take.

All the guy said is that with ten at-bats he feels ready for Opening Day. Not that he refuses to take more than ten at-bats or that he thinks he's too good for spring training - just that after ten at-bats he feels back in the swing of things.

And he said this on a radio show. I don't think he was unburdening his soul.

There's a lot of Robbie Grossman hate on TD of late. I don't get it. He's a very solid 4th OF who fills a lot of holes for the Twins. in this day and age of a three or four man bench, his ability to play an okay OF and be a switch hitter off the bench has more value than Granite, another left handed hitter who only makes sense if you love pinch running or have an OF who needs to be replaced in games (the Twins don't).

Not really.I just think people blow up his value because people overstate the virtuosity of walks.A lot of the time he stands there like a statue and lets hittable pitches go by with runners on base.YAY he walks!He literally does nothing else well.He has a 2.3 WAR in over 1,600 at bats and yet people get upset when someone says we should part ways with the guy.Maybe go in a different direction.I don't get that

The guy is barely replacement level.I am stunned that he has a defense team asserting his value.He was a waiver wire pickup, waived TWICE by the way.We can get another Robbie Grossman oft the waiver wire in the snap of a finger

#36 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Not really.I just think people blow up his value because people overstate the virtuosity of walks.A lot of the time he stands there like a statue and lets hittable pitches go by with runners on base.YAY he walks!He literally does nothing else well.He has a 2.3 WAR in over 1,600 at bats and yet people get upset when someone says we should part ways with the guy.Maybe go in a different direction.I don't get that

The guy is barely replacement level.I am stunned that he has a defense team asserting his value.He was a waiver wire pickup, waived TWICE by the way.We can get another Robbie Grossman oft the waiver wire in the snap of a finger

Robbie Grossman had a 101 OPS+ in 2017 and a 124 OPS+ in 2016. A 101 is replacement level, a 124 is a great 4th OF. So which one is right?

Robbie had similar slugging and OBP numbers, the difference was a 40 point drop in BA. Last year his BABIP was .287 and the year before it was .364 HIs three years in Houston it was .348. I think it's way more likely that he's a .350-.360 BABIP guy than a .287 guy since that's a one year blip. If it is, he's more the 120 OPS+ and is a great guy.

A guy going through waivers means nothing. Jose Bautista went through waivers several times. Thames went all the way to Japan because no one wanted him.

Robbie Grossman does OBP very well and he does a lot of other things pretty well. Some pop, okay fielder, okay baserunner. That's what you want in a bench guy. Not every player can be a starter, some guys are valuable in other ways.

#37 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

OK fielder?No, i don;t think so.Grossman is a bad outfielder.The only indicators that make him look good are ones that include walks.He stares at strikes and hopes to heck he can get on base.That strategy works a little bit.So what?

I am not a fan of his game.I can see with my own two eyes that he isn't a very good player.He doesn't have speed, he doesn't have power, he doesn't really hit for average, he is a below average fielder.He led the league in errors made by a left fielder during his wonderful 124 OPS+ season in 2016.YOu want to tell me errors don't matter?His range is horrible.He has had a couple of collisions and some near misses out there.Keep him OFF the outfield grass.Please!

Look, I am not trying to start and argument, but these numbers (and comments) that get thrown out in an attempt to make Grossman seem like a keeper get kind of silly after a while.I would much rather have a guy with some speed and defense in his game in the OF.  

#38 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,967 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

There is no way these guys are working out against MLB level pitching. 

A lot of the pitching in ST isn't MLB level either. 

#39 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• 95 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

I heard the same exchange and this interpretation is ... incredibly hostile. Grossman was asked how many at bats he thinks he needs to feel prepared and back into an in-season rhythm. In his answer he:

a)acknowledged that his view was pretty eccentric among players

b)didn't, to my hearing, say anything about not wanting more at bats or being unwilling to work through more at bats

c)indicate in any way that this answer could be applied to the numerous other things that players work in in spring training, like general conditioning, game-situation preparation, or defense

It was entirely clear that he was offering his view on how long it took his eyes and hands to feel ready to go at the plate. And he answered honestly. Rolling this into some insight on his work ethic requires stripping the conversation from its original context *and* adopting the saltiest possible interpretation.

• Twins33 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#40 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

I heard the same exchange and this interpretation is ... incredibly hostile. Grossman was asked how many at bats he thinks he needs to feel prepared and back into an in-season rhythm. In his answer he:

a)acknowledged that his view was pretty eccentric among players

b)didn't, to my hearing, say anything about not wanting more at bats or being unwilling to work through more at bats

c)indicate in any way that this answer could be applied to the numerous other things that players work in in spring training, like general conditioning, game-situation preparation, or defense

It was entirely clear that he was offering his view on how long it took his eyes and hands to feel ready to go at the plate. And he answered honestly. Rolling this into some insight on his work ethic requires stripping the conversation from its original context *and* adopting the saltiest possible interpretation.

He's a .251 lifetime hitter.

Maybe he needs more time and he just never figured it out