Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#141 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

For anyone bemoaning the loss of Aaron Hicks he isn't all that and a bag of chips.

He would fit on the Twins team pretty well, I'll tell you that much.

• Mike Sixel, jokin, snepp and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#142 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 7,996 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Kind of ironic that there are a half dozen ex-Twin catchers in the majors and the Twins currently have the duo of Garner and Wilson.
  • h2oface and Doctor Wu like this

#143 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

For anyone bemoaning the loss of Aaron Hicks he isn't all that and a bag of chips.

He's down from last year, and it looks like he is in one of his low BABIP valleys, but even so, Aaron Hicks has a 91 wRC+ this season (ahead of Grossman's 2018, basically equal to Buxton's 2017), plus defense, plus baserunning, all out of CF. On pace for a roughly 2.0-2.4 WAR season, which is solidly average.

I was going to ask if you meant John Hicks, but I just looked him up and he appears to have been fairly useful in Detroit so far too...
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, jokin and 4 others like this

#144 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

NikoGoodrum had 2 home runs in a game yesterday, giving a "makeshift" Tigers team a victory over Cleveland. I'm sure Gardy was excited. Man, where did this power come from?

• USAFChief likes this

#145 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

Not in the box score but I appreciated this Drew Butera story.

http://www.espn.com/...-dyes-hair-pink
  • snepp and Doctor Wu like this

#146 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

Not in the box score but I appreciated this Drew Butera story.

http://www.espn.com/...-dyes-hair-pink

I read that today too. Great stuff. Honesty, it brought tears to my eyes. Kudos to Drew for doing that!

#147 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

Our old friend Pedro Florimon did it again, not only pitching a scoreless inning of relief for the Phillies, but homering in the same game too. a trick that even Otani hasn't done (yet) this year. I also love the original headline on the story on Yahoo news that touted the accomplishment by the Philadelphia "star" player!

https://sports.yahoo...-162244761.html

#148 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

Never made it to Twins but was in the system for 6 years, Yangervis Solarte is having another solid season. 

He kind of reminds me of Escobar, actually. 

• h2oface likes this

#149 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Randy Rosario pitching for the Cubs. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Danchat like this

#150 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Randy Rosario pitching for the Cubs.

Randy Rosario batting for the Cubs too! First plate appearance of his entire professional career. Drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch, and had to run the bases a bit as well (advancing to third) before scoring on a teammate's HR.
  • Doctor Wu likes this

#151 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

https://www.instagra...source=ig_embed

See what happens

#152 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:20 AM

Dereck Rodriguez former Twins minor leagues, son of Pudge, has been called up to the Giants. Dang it never seemed like he hardly ever made it out of A ball in the Twins organization, but now first year with a new team and he's good enough to be with the big squad?
  • jokin and Doctor Wu like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#153 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:53 AM

Dereck Rodriguez former Twins minor leagues, son of Pudge, has been called up to the Giants. Dang it never seemed like he hardly ever made it out of A ball in the Twins organization, but now first year with a new team and he's good enough to be with the big squad?

Darn, you beat me to it! I just read this blurb on ESPN:

The San Francisco Giants purchased Dereck Rodriguez's contract from Triple-A Sacramento, where he went 4-1 with a 3.40 ERA after signing as a minor league free agent on Nov. 15. He will be in the bullpen Monday against Colorado, looking to make his major league debut.

• Twodogs likes this

#154 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Probably had to do with the fact that he was only converted to pitching (by the Twins) after several yearsof him trying to be an offensive player. Because minor leaguers can leave the organization after six years, the Twins couldn't stop him when he left.

Think of it as a Joe Nathan kind of situation. The Giants did all the work drafting him, playing him, and converting him to a pitcher. Then they got shockingly little value out of him because all that payoff went to the Twins.

What can you do?

• Twodogs likes this

#155 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Charger nailed it.Twins were kind of stuck.He was always behind having to do with the conversion...but you could always tell that he had a chance to eventually get there.

Happy for him...he grinded and grinded.Would have been easy to give up...maybe even more so, in light of the shadow dad's career casts.

#156 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

Probably had to do with the fact that he was only converted to pitching (by the Twins) after several yearsof him trying to be an offensive player. Because minor leaguers can leave the organization after six years, the Twins couldn't stop him when he left.

Think of it as a Joe Nathan kind of situation. The Giants did all the work drafting him, playing him, and converting him to a pitcher. Then they got shockingly little value out of him because all that payoff went to the Twins.

What can you do?

Dang, too bad they couldn't have done something to hold on to him?Could you imagine bringing Pudge in to do some spring training catcher instruction?I mean he'd then get to watch his kid pitch at the same time.Win/win

I mean its not like they couldn't use a little extra help coaching catchers?

Edited by Twodogs, 29 May 2018 - 01:35 PM.

#157 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

Our old friend Pedro Florimon did it again, not only pitching a scoreless inning of relief for the Phillies, but homering in the same game too. a trick that even Otani hasn't done (yet) this year. I also love the original headline on the story on Yahoo news that touted the accomplishment by the Philadelphia "star" player!

https://sports.yahoo...-162244761.html

Long and lean.Looks like a shortstop

#158 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:41 AM

Palka homered again for the White Sox yesterday. That's his 5th HR of the year so far, along with 17 RBI. His batting average is now up to .289. I doubt he can sustain that average, but still, an impressive start. He played right field in that game, but I think he's had more starts at DH so far.

#159 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,462 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Palka homered again for the White Sox yesterday. That's his 5th HR of the year so far, along with 17 RBI. His batting average is now up to .289. I doubt he can sustain that average, but still, an impressive start. He played right field in that game, but I think he's had more starts at DH so far.

Color me shocked. And happy for him.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#160 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Never made it to Twins but was in the system for 6 years, Yangervis Solarte is having another solid season.

He kind of reminds me of Escobar, actually.

I think, in my opinion, Solarte is better overall than Escobar. Just my opinion.