Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Too bad Bartolo lost the perfect game, no hitter, shutout and even credit for the victory in the 8th but still pitched a great game that Rangers won. Always enjoy watching him pitch.

• glunn and Doctor Wu like this

#102 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

Aaron Hicks had 2 tonight.

Both left-handed, for those who wanted him to give up switch hitting.

I'll own that. To be fair I wanted him to give it up immediately after high school.Would those home runs have gone out in Minnesota?His career ops as a lefty hitter is 93 even with those two homers.As a right handed hitter it is 116. We might still have him if we made him our 4th/platoon outfielder and he would be a real asset right now.

• gil4 likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#103 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,402 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Would those home runs have gone out in Minnesota?  

Dunno, but he hit them in Detroit, so probably.

• ThejacKmp likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#104 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

Get back to us about this in August.

Won't have to. He'll probably be back on the Twins by then.
  • USAFChief, gil4, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#105 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Going off topic a bit.Early on in this thread, guys were discussing Tampa Bay and their rebuilding,etc.Having been to Tropicana Field, it got me wondering - Is Tampa Bay the equivalent of Cleveland in the NFL?

If not Tampa, who is the Cleveland Browns equivalent in MLB?

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#106 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Going off topic a bit. Early on in this thread, guys were discussing Tampa Bay and their rebuilding,etc. Having been to Tropicana Field, it got me wondering - Is Tampa Bay the equivalent of Cleveland in the NFL?

The Oakland A's.
  • ashburyjohn, ThejacKmp, benchwarmerjim and 1 other like this

#107 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

The Oakland A's.

I think there are some Pittsburg fans who may argue.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#108 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

I think there are some Pittsburg fans who may argue.

Funny. Seems like people from Pittsburg are much more likely to be long-suffering A's fans. Now, people from Pittsburgh - they may argue.

#109 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,853 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Funny. Seems like people from Pittsburg are much more likely to be long-suffering A's fans. Now, people from Pittsburgh - they may argue.

"Oakland is the academic and healthcare center of Pittsburgh and one of the city's major cultural centers." 300px-UpittCOL.JPG

I'm so confused now!

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#110 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

And our old friend Pedro Florimon made the news again last week ... this time as a pitcher! Yes, the Phillies were getting blown out by the Braves (final score: 15-2) so manager Gabe Kapler used Florimon to pitch the 8th inning. He gave up a home run, but as a wire service article noted, Florimon had a decent 88 mph fastball, which ESPN added, was about 3.5 mph faster than one of the new pitchers on Seattle's staff, Kazuhisa Makita, Go, Pedro, go!

And when the All-Star ballots come out, remember to Vote for Pedro!

• ashburyjohn likes this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#111 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

Luke Bard has now pitched in 5 games for the Angels, 8.1 innings, given up only 1 run (earned) and 4 hits, 9 Ks and 5 BBs, with an ERA and WHIP of 1.08. Average against is .138. 

Char-gwah, as the all the Dodger announcers continue to call him even after I called the call in show and gave them the correct pronunciation according to Seth - Chargois has pitched in 6 games for the Dodgers, 4.2 innings, given up one run (earned, a solo home run) and 4 hits, 5 Ks and 1 BB, with and ERA of .193 and a WHIP of 1.07. Average against is .235.

Luke Bard was unprotected and a rule 5 selection, and JT Chargois was put on outright waivers to make room on the 40 man (for Kinley's rule 5 selection?) and claimed. Both good enough for prime time with contenders, but not for the Twins.

Edited by h2oface, 16 April 2018 - 04:02 PM.

• birdwatcher, Circus Boy and mickeymental like this

#112 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

Letting Chargois leave was always going to be a risk, if someone could find a way to coax a run of health out of him.
I'm not in the room, obviously, but I don't think the Twins ever doubted his talent, the question was, is he capable of staying healthy?
So, for him, I'll have to see him stay healthy for a stretch before i second guess that one.

As for Bard, those results probably won't continue if he doesn't straighten out that walk rate.
At the time the 40 man was locked, i didn't think Bard would be taken, so i can't, myself blame them for that call.

#113 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Luke Bard has now pitched in 5 games for the Angels, 8.1 innings, given up only 1 run (earned) and 4 hits, 9 Ks and 5 BBs, with an ERA and WHIP of 1.08. Average against is .138. 

Char-gwah, as the all the Dodger announcers continue to call him even after I called the call in show and gave them the correct pronunciation according to Seth - Chargois has pitched in 6 games for the Dodgers, 4.2 innings, given up one run (earned, a solo home run) and 4 hits, 5 Ks and 1 BB, with and ERA of .193 and a WHIP of 1.07. Average against is .235.

Luke Bard was unprotected and a rule 5 selection, and JT Chargois was put on outright waivers to make room on the 40 man (for Kinley's rule 5 selection?) and claimed. Both good enough for prime time with contenders, but not for the Twins.

All that great weather will kill them soon enough.

• ashburyjohn and h2oface like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#114 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Won't have to. He'll probably be back on the Twins by then.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

#115 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

Going off topic a bit.Early on in this thread, guys were discussing Tampa Bay and their rebuilding,etc.Having been to Tropicana Field, it got me wondering - Is Tampa Bay the equivalent of Cleveland in the NFL?

Tampa had some great years a half decade ago. No baseball team really has had te futility of the Browns. The Marlins, Padres and the Reds are the closest version, but nowhere near the Browns. Are 10 years of futility for the White Sox enough to consider. Every year it has been the refrain about they got so much better.

#116 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

When Bard is pitching with the game on the line regularly it will be significant that he was selected. When Chargois stays healthy for a stretch it will be a significant loss.One year with a heavy workload, injured the next. 2 years out during development.

• howieramone2 likes this

#117 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

Letting Chargois leave was always going to be a risk, if someone could find a way to coax a run of health out of him.
I'm not in the room, obviously, but I don't think the Twins ever doubted his talent, the question was, is he capable of staying healthy?
So, for him, I'll have to see him stay healthy for a stretch before i second guess that one.

As for Bard, those results probably won't continue if he doesn't straighten out that walk rate.
At the time the 40 man was locked, i didn't think Bard would be taken, so i can't, myself blame them for that call.

So far, we have Lynn (10BB in 9 innings), Ordorizzi (10BB in 16.1), Gibson (10BB in 14.2), Duke (6BB in 4), Hildenberger (3BB in 7 and 7/7 inherited runners scored), Rodney (2BB in 4.2, 7 hits and a .350 average against, with a loss and blown save), and Moya (2BB in 3.1) to follow and admire in place of Bard. And Kinley is wasting a 25 man roster spot. SSS in colder weather, for sure. But it is still the stat line.

So far, Bard's stat line looks a lot like Reed's with 2 more walks, and we are all loving him, and looking at the bright side for our other guys. It will be fun to watch unfold.

Edited by h2oface, 16 April 2018 - 06:25 PM.

• jud6312 likes this

#118 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

So far, we have Lynn (10BB in 9 innings), Ordorizzi (10BB in 16.1), Gibson (10BB in 14.2), Duke (6BB in 4), Hildenberger (3BB in 7 and 7/7 inherited runners scored), Rodney (2BB in 4.2, 7 hits and a .350 average against, with a loss and blown save), and Moya (2BB in 3.1) to follow and admire in place of Bard. And Kinley is wasting a 25 man roster spot. SSS in colder weather, for sure. But it is still the stat line.

So far, Bard's stat line looks a lot like Reed's with 2 more walks, and we are all loving him, and looking at the bright side for our other guys. It will be fun to watch unfold.

Those guys also won't succeed if they don't improve their walk rates.

The main takeaway, for me, would be that it's far too small of sample sizes to take much away from any of these players performances so far, including Bard and Chargois, good or bad.

#119 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

Those guys also won't succeed if they don't improve their walk rates.

The main takeaway, for me, would be that it's far too small of sample sizes to take much away from any of these players performances so far, including Bard and Chargois, good or bad.

I'll leave you to be the judge. 

I agree, and have stated the limitations. But as for the title of this thread "Ex-Twins in the Box Scores", facts are stats, and the rest is opinion.

#120 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Tampa had some great years a half decade ago. No baseball team really has had te futility of the Browns. The Marlins, Padres and the Reds are the closest version, but nowhere near the Browns. Are 10 years of futility for the White Sox enough to consider. Every year it has been the refrain about they got so much better.

Pittsburg fans at spring training complained about being in "rebuilding mode" for 25 years.I'm not sure the Browns have ever been rebuilding...more like recovering.