Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#441 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

Dereck Rodriguez is the perfect example of giving a young player an opportunity, and see what happens. I hear the "he isn't ready" mantra so often, from team reps and from fans and on these boards. Some will be. Dereck was, and way before all the "experts", including ours, said he was. He took the opportunity and he was ready. The Giants are the winners, and the Twins are the big losers.

Dereck was in that odd position of being a player that switched to pitching and was getting older and still on the farm and the two combined with his ability to be a free agent pushed him to leave the Twins. The Twins didn't take the 40-man chance that they had to do because they felt he was still behind others (Chargois, Curtis et al). minor league service time doesn't compensate a team for time a player spends recovering from an injury or, perhaps, doing a position change. At some point, after being in the minors for x-many years, playing for one organization or another is pretty much the same.

And a team really isn't going to overpay a minor league guy to keep him in the minors (not on the 40-man) if they are still in prospect mode.

If anything, the handling of Rodriguez showed that the Twins still are a bit subdued on advancing players too fast, or just advancing players and getting a look and evaluating them according to that advancement.

• h2oface likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#442 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Before this goes down the path of everything the Twins did and do wrong, that is not the topic of this thread. This is to just keep track of former players. Period. This isn't a thread to praise or condemn anyone or anything that led to a player's move to another club.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#443 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,088 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

In my book, Rodriguez is not a former Twin anyway, same with Palka and Anibal Sanchez. They never played a game for the Twins. If you want to go that far, World Series MVP Steve Pearce is also a former Twin.

• nicksaviking likes this

#444 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Yes!!
  • nicksaviking likes this

#445 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

ob's cure

• Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:33 PM

In my book, Rodriguez is not a former Twin anyway, same with Palka and Anibal Sanchez. They never played a game for the Twins. If you want to go that far, World Series MVP Steve Pearce is also a former Twin.

Well then...

How'd Steve Pearce do in the box score?

I admit i didn' pay that close attention beyond final scores to the post season.

I even turned the radio off when the red sox scored in the top of the 13th that one time.

#446 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:09 AM

If they received a paycheck from the Twins, they are an ex Twin.