Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#21 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

I was mostly talking about Odorizzi.... But I bet Gomez is better than Dickerson this year. Heck, whomever they have in their system might be better. Most of the guys they got rid of are ok players. Same with Souza,I bet Span is as good or better. I don't know if they have two guys in the minors better than both of the guys they lost. But they didn't get rid of any really good players, got prospects, and until Honeywell was hurt, were projected to win more games than the Twins.

They do have better player than Odorizzi. Odorizzi still gave them their best return. 4 of the best 5 poition players Tampa had over the last two years are gone with not much back. Calling them OK is selling them short for what they did for the team.

#22 hugelycat

hugelycat

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

So the Rays now have Span AND Carlos Gomez! Seems like too many old outfielders for a team like that, one that is supposedly rebuilding.

They just need to coax Delmon out of retirement to complete the hat trick!

• birdwatcher, David HK, gagu and 1 other like this

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Alex Mejia, not Aldaberto.

Nunez averaged 0.1 bWAR the previous 3 seasons before putting up 1.5 in 4 months before he was traded.
Given that Gomez has averaged 1.4 bWAR the last 3 years, he could easily return a similar prospect with a solid start

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Nunez averaged 0.1 bWAR the previous 3 seasons before putting up 1.5 in 4 months before he was traded.
Given that Gomez has averaged 1.4 bWAR the last 3 years, he could easily return a similar prospect with a solid start

Nunez had a full extra season of control before free agency, though.

#25 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

Daniel Palka, now with the White Sox, had a hit in their game yesterday.yesterday. Wonder if he has a chance to make that club? But I tell you, looking at that box score and the names of some of the Chicago players, made my stomach rumble: Delmonico, Burger, and Danish!

Sounds like a 3-course meal!:lol:

#26 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

Odorizzi has averaged 2 bwar for the last 3 years and was called a replacement level player. At that standard of WAR, how is Gomez worth a near major league ready player?

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Odorizzi has averaged 2 bwar for the last 3 years and was called a replacement level player. At that standard of WAR, how is Gomez worth a near major league ready player?

Admittedly I'm probably the low man on Odorizzi. Replacement level was my opinion of what Odorizzi will contribute going forward.
You are correct that his 3 year average is well above that. Based on the return, it's hard to tell how the league feels about him going forward.
The return seems light if you believe he's a 2-3 WAR pitcher, but perhaps TB just really likes Palacios. I have no idea.

#28 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like a 3-course meal!:lol:

And then Burger went and got injured and is already out for the season!

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

I know it's only the first week of ST games, but it's still fun to see these box scores and some of the familiar names. Someone mentioned Niko Goodrum, now with the Tigers. He has 2 more hits yesterday and is now batting .545. Yeah, that won't last, but hope he can make that club. The Nationals have both Kintzler and our old pal Tommy Milone in camp. Milone pitched 2 scoreless innings yesterday! And Atlanta has both Kurt Suzuki (another hit yesterday and he's hitting .750!) and Danny Santana. Thinking about the Angels, does anyone know if is Alex Meyer injured again or in their camp? And is Nolasco still around?

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thinking about the Angels, does anyone know if is Alex Meyer injured again or in their camp? And is Nolasco still around?

Meyer had shoulder surgery in September, so he's out for the season. They just put him on the 60-day DL.

Nolasco is still a free agent after the Angels declined his option. I wonder if he's going to that special MLBPA camp for unsigned players...

Edited by spycake, 28 February 2018 - 08:49 AM.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#31 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

2/27

Wilson Ramos appears to be healthy and went 2-for-2 for Tampa Bay, starting at catcher.

Swarzak is now with the Mets and gave up an unearned run in 2/3 of an inning.

Alex Presley led off for the Orioles and played CF, 0-for-3 with two K's.

Stuart Turner backed up at catcher for the Reds, going 0-for-1 with 1 K and one walk.

Hector Santiago pitched 3 perfect innings (!) for the White Sox with 4 strikeouts on 16 pitches.Impressive.

Deolis Guerra pitched one inning for the Rangers and gave up a 2-run homerun.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#32 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

2/27

Hector Santiago pitched 3 perfect innings (!) for the White Sox with 4 strikeouts on 16 pitches.Impressive.

Well that's literally impossible. 4 strikeouts is minimum 12 pitches, leaving only 4 more for his count of 16.

3 innings is 9 batters, so 5 more batters after the 4 strikeouts. He couldn't have gotten 5 batters out in 4 pitches.

Unless... wait, is this one of them newfangled "advanced analytics" things? 

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Hector Santiago pitched 3 perfect innings (!) for the White Sox with 4 strikeouts on 16 pitches. Impressive.

Gameday doesn't accurately track pitch counts in spring training.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Well that's literally impossible. 4 strikeouts is minimum 12 pitches, leaving only 4 more for his count of 16.

3 innings is 9 batters, so 5 more batters after the 4 strikeouts. He couldn't have gotten 5 batters out in 4 pitches.

Unless... wait, is this one of them newfangled "advanced analytics" things?

He actually entered the game with runners on base, and the first batter hit into a DP. So he only faced 8 batters. By Gameday's messed up spring training pitch counting, that's 3 pitches for each of 4 Ks, and 1 pitch for each of 4 balls in play, for a total of 16.
  • ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel, 70charger and 1 other like this

#35 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

He actually entered the game with runners on base, and the first batter hit into a DP. So he only faced 8 batters. By Gameday's messed up spring training pitch counting, that's 3 pitches for each of 4 Ks, and 1 pitch for each of 4 balls in play, for a total of 16.

I knew the whole "advanced analytics" thing was just bunk.

Batting average forever!

• ashburyjohn and lukeduke1980 like this

#36 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

I see...Berrios most definitely did not throw 8 pitches in the first inning of yesterday's game.30-some.  

Well, the 3 perfect innings with 4 strikeouts is still an impressive 2018 ST debut for Santiago.

#37 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

And then Burger went and got injured and is already out for the season!

Arrgh...Too bad Pie Traynor is dead, they could add him to the roster.

#38 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

And Buddy Boshers is in camp with the Astros. Just our luck; with a change of scenery he may be like Swarzak and turn out to be a keeper for another team.

#39 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

And Buddy Boshers is in camp with the Astros. Just our luck; with a change of scenery he may be like Swarzak and turn out to be a keeper for another team.

Took the loss yesterday--gave up a hit, made an error, and then walked the bases loaded.  The next pitcher (Paulino) walked in to of his runs.

#40 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Gameday doesn't accurately track pitch counts in spring training.

Still, letting Hector go. What were they thinking?

• Carole Keller and Doctor Wu like this