Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#241 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:52 AM

In the "another pitcher that got away" category, I noticed that Randy Rosario pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in relief for the Cubs yesterday. His ERA for the season is now 1.66. He's only pitched 21/2 innings in all, with 12 strikeouts ... but 11 walks.

#242 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

Why use a 24 year old LH reliever when you can sign a 35 year old LH reliever instead?

- Paul Molitor
  • Mike Sixel, David HK and Doctor Wu like this

#243 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

And yet another fairly impressive pitching performance: Anibal Sanchez won his 4th game for the Braves yesterday. He pitched 6.2 innings, gaveup 1 run, walked 1 batter, and struck out 8. His ERA for the season is now down to 2.72. Not too shabby.

#244 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

On the batting side of things, Niko Goodrum went 4-for-4 and also had 1 walk yesterday for the Tigers. Only one of his hits was for extra bases (a double) but he also stole a base and scored a run. He's now batting .251 with a .325 OBP. Not amazing, but solid. He played second base in this game, but Gardy has used him all over the place (infield and outfield) this year.

#245 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Starting again for the Giants yesterday: Dereck Rodriguez. He pitched 6.1 scoreless innings and got the win, his third one since he got called up. He also struck out 5 batters and walked 2. Can't say I saw this coming, and I guess the Twins front office didn't either. Nevertheless, another ex-Twins player having success elsewhere.

I watched a bit of that game - Rodriguez works fast, and has a nice mix of pitches, and got ahead of most the batters. 

• Doctor Wu likes this

#246 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

I watched a bit of that game - Rodriguez works fast, and has a nice mix of pitches, and got ahead of most the batters. 

The Giants have two starting pitchers coming off the DL this week, but I think they are planning on keeping Rodriguez in the rotation and putting Holland in the bullpen.

#247 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Dereck Rodriguez actually looks like a major league pitcher.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#248 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Dereck Rodriguez actually looks like a major league pitcher.

I guess the Twins get some credit for converting him - too bad it was a case of the minor league clock running out.

He was gracious to the Twins on leaving for SF per a quote in the STrib:

He thanked the Twins in his Instagram post “for an amazing first 7 years of pro ball. You guys taught me how to play the game ‘the Twins’ way.’ Always playing smart and always hustle.”

The Twins way gets an upvote.

BTW, the SF crew interviewed Ivan in the stands as Derrick was pitching - he looked like he could still slot in behind the plate as the Twins #1 catcher.

Edited by Monkeypaws, 08 July 2018 - 01:19 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#249 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

BTW, another ex Twin had an epic pitching line last night, Drew Butera.

1/3 of an inning, 2H, 2R, 3BB, 0K. 

He was throwing the ball up there, and his poor control played in his favor, although he changed speeds :)

Edited by Monkeypaws, 08 July 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#250 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Would the Twins be better with Lynn or Anibal Sanchez .../// my thoughts are we may still be in the race if we would have kept Sanchez? 

#251 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Why use a 24 year old LH reliever when you can sign a 35 year old LH reliever instead?

- Paul Molitor

Paul played until he was 42 or so and views 35 as having many years left. It's why we're keeping Belisle. He could be quite valuable in 2021. 

• Mike Sixel and Oxtung like this

#252 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Trevor Plouffe makes his triumphant return to MLB baseball with the Phillies. He's now a 'utility' player for them.

#253 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Trevor Plouffe makes his triumphant return to MLB baseball with the Phillies. He's now a 'utility' player for them.

Interesting call-up. Maybe he'll be their pinch hit weapon! By the way, whatever happened to Pedro Florimon with the Phillies? I haven't noticed his name in the box scores recently. He was playing pretty well for them this year, in a variety of positions, even pitching a game at one point. Is he injured again?

#254 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,451 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Interesting call-up. Maybe he'll be their pinch hit weapon! By the way, whatever happened to Pedro Florimon with the Phillies? I haven't noticed his name in the box scores recently. He was playing pretty well for them this year, in a variety of positions, even pitching a game at one point. Is he injured again?

Foul ball, broken bone in foot.

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#255 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

So far Plouffe is 1 for 1 with an OPS+ of 445!!!

Another one that got away... ;)
  • ashburyjohn likes this