Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#201 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

Daniel Palka hit the 1st pinch hit HR of the season for the ChiSox today against the Brew Crew. That hr put the Sox ahead and they went on to win the game and the series.

Palka keeps putting up good numbers for the ChiSox. Frankly, I'm stumped. I didn't think he would even see much if any major league action. Shows what I know!

• Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#202 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Anibal Sanchez 1.93 ERA for Atlanta.

#203 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

So he'd be, like, 1-7 with us record-wise?

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and 2 others like this

#204 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

Sanchez has been injured for most of the year, so it's a pretty small sample. And that 1.93 ERA is a 4.17 FIP, thanks to a .203 BABIP (his career mark, and the league average, is .300).

#205 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Randy Rosario made it to the Cubs.

• h2oface likes this

#206 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

Randy Rosario made it to the Cubs.

Good for him!

#207 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:22 AM

Best HR percentages in the majors this year are all in the 7-8% area...Betts, Harper, Machado, Trout, JD Martinez, etc.John Ryan Murphy's sits at 9.2%.If Arizona starts him every remaining game, he projects to about 46, which I think would break Johnny Bench's record.Of course his 3/24 BB/K ratio and his 2% HR rate in 8 minor-league seasons would suggest that pitchers might be able to make some adjustments going forward :)

In the meantime, I'd trade Moya back for him in a heartbeat (given our organizational situation at the position).

And then I would trade Murphy back to the Yankees for Aaron Hicks! (especially given our organizational situation with Buxton out, and not hitting anyway! And even for a 4th outfielder if Buxton does start hitting again, ever, and GET RID OF GROSSMAN!)

#208 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:28 AM

Murphy also had 508 PA in Rochester (and compiled likely his 2 worst minor league seasons to date in the process).

It very well could be the "environment" is the contributing factor. He did pretty well in the Yankees system, too. So well that some genius traded Aaron Hicks for him! Only failed in the Twins.

Edited by h2oface, 17 June 2018 - 03:29 AM.

#209 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

They didn’t have enough patience with either young player.

#210 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:45 AM

It looks like JR Murphy will continue to get significant, even most, games for the D-backs behind the dish.Alex Avila has apparently completely forgotten how to hit.And, fwiw, it's doing damage to Murphy's numbers.Slashing 182/270/182 over last 11 games.OPS still 803 for the year.

#211 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

They didn’t have enough patience with either young player.

The catcher was terrible in the minors for two years here. What should they have fun differently?

They traded the outfielder for a guy they thought could be a starting catcher. What did they do wrong, in terms of patience? They didn't cut him, they traded him for something they thought was valuable.
  • Han Joelo, 70charger, big dog and 1 other like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#212 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

It seems to me they thought Murphy might have turned a corner--IIRC he had a monster series against the Twins at one point.  Or maybe it was a game.  Or maybe it was just one at bat.  Regardless, they cashed in their Hicks chip and took a chance.

For every phenom that hits right out of the gates at 20 years old, there are 10 or 20 that don't figure it out until later...and probably 50 that never do.

• 70charger likes this

#213 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

It seems to me they thought Murphy might have turned a corner--IIRC he had a monster series against the Twins at one point.  Or maybe it was a game.  Or maybe it was just one at bat. 

One at-bat. 1-for-7 versus the Twins, but the one hit was a 3-run, 9th inning, tie-breaking homer off Glen Perkins in July 2015.

• Han Joelo likes this

#214 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

The catcher was terrible in the minors for two years here. What should they have fun differently?
They traded the outfielder for a guy they thought could be a starting catcher. What did they do wrong, in terms of patience? They didn't cut him, they traded him for something they thought was valuable.

I think with every trade it was a step down in talent. If you want to develop young players it is going to take a lot of patience. They didn’t see how either player’s bat would play in their primes.

Hicks had good defensive numbers and a good bat against lefties. They should have utilized those skills longer. Murphy had great framing numbers while with the Twins. They should have utilized him for his defense knowing that as a young player the bat will get better.

They both would help a team defensively that it would be worth seeing how their bat would play in their primes.

#215 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

I think with every trade it was a step down in talent. If you want to develop young players it is going to take a lot of patience. They didn’t see how either player’s bat would play in their primes.
Hicks had good defensive numbers and a good bat against lefties. They should have utilized those skills longer. Murphy had great framing numbers while with the Twins. They should have utilized him for his defense knowing that as a young player the bat will get better.
They both would help a team defensively that it would be worth seeing how their bat would play in their primes.

I take Murphy to be a case we will see more of - the dudeeveryone gives up on until they just happen to find the right person to modify their approach with analytics and the player completely transforms their game out of nowhere. Maybe it’s perception, but that seems to be more common today than it has been the last 20 years of baseball.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#216 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,546 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

I take Murphy to be a case we will see more of - the dudeeveryone gives up on until they just happen to find the right person to modify their approach with analytics and the player completely transforms their game out of nowhere. Maybe it’s perception, but that seems to be more common today than it has been the last 20 years of baseball.

Now we need that right person to work for Minnesota... It would be nice to transform a player for the better here.
  • h2oface likes this

#217 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

I still think Murphy is going to be Chris Herrmann 2.0. I guess that could still be something useful, quite possibly more useful than Moya, but nothing we will regret much.
  • Brock Beauchamp, USAFChief and Oxtung like this

#218 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Murphy’s defense is better. I am surprised by his bat but even without it guys like Drew Butera have had long careers.

#219 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

Murphy’s defense is better. I am surprised by his bat but even without it guys like Drew Butera have had long careers.

Murphy's "bat" so far has been a brief power spike. Still very poor components underneath. If he settles in as a 64 OPS+ hitter like Herrmann's career mark, I guess he can stick around as a backup catcher somewhere but he doesn't feel like an asset or a source of regret.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#220 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Now we need that right person to work for Minnesota... It would be nice to transform a player for the better here.

I guess not everyone gave up on them first, but we transformed Dozier and Escobar beyond what folks commonly expected. Adrianza is a modest win so far. Grossman for a season with the bat...
  • Oxtung likes this