Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ex-Twins in the Box Scores

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

Baseball games are being played again! I know it's only spring training, but I'm a box score junkie and once again I can get my daily fix. Ah, life is worth living again!

In addition to the Twins' results, I always scan the other box scores too, looking to see how favorite players and/or ex-Twins players are doing. The results of the game between St. Louis and Miami had a couple of fun facts. The winning pitcher for the Marlins was none other than Alex Wimmers. The losing pitcher for the Cardinals? That was ex-Twins outfielder Jordan Schafer, now trying his luck at pitching.The Marlins were also playing J. B. Shuck, a guy the Twins had in camp last year.

Anyone notice any other interesting ex-Twins sightings this week?

• ashburyjohn, Oldgoat_MN, CUtomorrownight and 3 others like this

#2 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:28 AM

Aaron Hicks went 0-1 with a walk, started in CF for the Yanks.

Chris Herrmann went 0-2 for the D'backs, while JRMurphy did not play.

Denard Span led off for the Rays and had a nice night.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#3 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

Aaron Hicks went 0-1 with a walk, started in CF for the Yanks.

Chris Herrmann went 0-2 for the D'backs, while JRMurphy did not play.

Denard Span led off for the Rays and had a nice night.

So the Rays now have Span AND Carlos Gomez! Seems like too many old outfielders for a team like that, one that is supposedly rebuilding.

• Shane Wahl, hugelycat and bighat like this

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

So the Rays now have Span AND Carlos Gomez! Seems like too many old outfielders for a team like that, one that is supposedly rebuilding.

Gomez will be flipable at the deadline. That's exactly what a rebuilding team should be doing.
  • beckmt, jokin, bighat and 1 other like this

#5 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

Daniel Palka, now with the White Sox, had a hit in their game yesterday.yesterday. Wonder if he has a chance to make that club? But I tell you, looking at that box score and the names of some of the Chicago players, made my stomach rumble: Delmonico, Burger, and Danish!

• birdwatcher, Dantes929, cy1time and 9 others like this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Gomez will be flipable at the deadline. That's exactly what a rebuilding team should be doing.

Yeah, the first step of a rebuild is to move your young, good players in trade and replace them with old, flippable players to be a warm body because you still have to play the games.

I'm entirely underwhelmed with the Rays offseason but they're not wrong in this part of the approach.

#7 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Steamer ranks him as a replacement level player. That should get you some team's 40th best prospect.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Steamer ranks him as a replacement level player. That should get you some team's 40th best prospect.

Steamer isn't always right. Sure, Gomez may definitely regress but if he enters the deadline with a 1.5 WAR and another solid season to follow up his 2017 season (2.3 fWAR), he'll net a pretty good prospect in return.

And if he stumbles again and returns to being a replacement level player, oh well, that's the risk of signing older guys on the cheap that you plan to flip mid-season.

Gomez only had one kinda bad season - 2015 - and is only going into his age 32 season. This is the kind of deal rebuilding teams should make, the kind of deals the 2012-2015 Twins did not agree to often enough.

#9 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

2/26

I see...

Justin Haley picked up the win for the Red Sox in a start, but allowed 3 hits (1 solo HR) in two innings with no walks or strikeouts.

Kurt Suzuki DH's for Braves and went 2-for-2 with a double and RBI.

Craig Breslow threw one inning for the Blue Jays and allowed a solo HR but had two strikeouts.

Matt Hague hit a solo HR, playing first base for the Mariners.

Danny Ortiz came in as a backup in CF for the Phillies and was hitless in two AB.

Pedro Florimon started for the Phillies at 2B and went 0-for-2.

bighat noted Aaron Hicks...backing up Aaron Hicks in CF for the Yankees yesterday was Shane Robinson.

Drew Butera started at catcher for the Royals and went 0-for-2.Blaine Boyer pitched 1 scoreless inning for the Royals.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and Doctor Wu like this

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

Steamer isn't always right. Sure, Gomez may definitely regress but if he enters the deadline with a 1.5 WAR and another solid season to follow up his 2017 season (2.3 fWAR), he'll net a pretty good prospect in return.

And if he stumbles again and returns to being a replacement level player, oh well, that's the risk of signing older guys on the cheap that you plan to flip mid-season.

Gomez only had one kinda bad season - 2015 - and is only going into his age 32 season. This is the kind of deal rebuilding teams should make, the kind of deals the 2012-2015 Twins did not agree to often enough.

With the trades this winter that Tampa has made it is tough to find anything much that says great prospect. Gomez and Span will provide more of the same. Placios might be the best prospect they got back thus far.

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Just pointing out why a rebuilding team would sign a player like Gomez. Not claiming he's guaranteed to get a good return.
  • bighat likes this

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Just pointing out why a rebuilding team would sign a player like Gomez. Not claiming he's guaranteed to get a good return.

Spending 4 million in hopes of getting a prospect is an expensive prospect. That is the reason a frugal team like Tampa, who dumped far better plays for little return, shouldn't be signing these kinds of players.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

With the trades this winter that Tampa has made it is tough to find anything much that says great prospect. Gomez and Span will provide more of the same. Placios might be the best prospect they got back thus far.

I’ve been very down on Tampa’s offseason but that’s a different subject: process vs execution.

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

I looked up Oswaldo Arcia after reading about ex-Twins and Tampa Bay.

He's signed up to play in Japan this year with the Nippon Ham Fighters. Hopefully not trying to fill in the shoes Ohtani left behind!

This has been your Oswaldo Arcia CBU.

Edited by Vanimal46, 27 February 2018 - 02:26 PM.

• scottz, Oldgoat_MN, HitInAPinch and 2 others like this

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Spending 4 million in hopes of getting a prospect is an expensive prospect. That is the reason a frugal team like Tampa, who dumped far better plays for little return, shouldn't be signing these kinds of players.

Well that's fair, but I don't agree. His prorated portion pre trade deadline will only be about 2.5 million, which isn't actually that expensive for a decent but not great prospect.
He's averaged 1.4 bWAR the last 3 seasons. If he gets off to a fair start, he should be able to return an Adalberto Mejia level prospect.

Even for a frugal team, this isn't a large commitment, IMO.
  • Jham likes this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,476 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

the Rays aren't rebuilding. They were projected for more wins than the Twins by most systems. They dealt some old guys, and guys they had replacements for, and those replacements are likely better. Now, losing the top pitching prospect in the game hurts that....

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,476 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

you are completely ignoring that some of those players had guys behind them that might be better....

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

you are completely ignoring that some of those players had guys behind them that might be better....

Please enlighten me which players Tampa had behind Souza, Longoria and Dickerson that might be better.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,476 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Please enlighten me which players Tampa had behind Souza, Longoria and Dickerson that might be better.

I was mostly talking about Odorizzi.... But I bet Gomez is better than Dickerson this year. Heck, whomever they have in their system might be better. Most of the guys they got rid of are ok players. Same with Souza,I bet Span is as good or better. I don't know if they have two guys in the minors better than both of the guys they lost. But they didn't get rid of any really good players, got prospects, and until Honeywell was hurt, were projected to win more games than the Twins.

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Well that's fair, but I don't agree. His prorated portion pre trade deadline will only be about 2.5 million, which isn't actually that expensive for a decent but not great prospect.
He's averaged 1.4 bWAR the last 3 seasons. If he gets off to a fair start, he should be able to return an Adalberto Mejia level prospect.

Even for a frugal team, this isn't a large commitment, IMO.

Alex Mejia, not Aldaberto.