Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Still Pursuing Lance Lynn?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

Kind of interesting to see this story from Jon Heyman pop up right after the Twins waived J.T. Chargois to mysteriously open up a 40-man roster spot:

https://www.fanragsp...iece-for-twins/

The Minnesota Twins still have “some flexibility” to pursue a starting pitcher if they find a deal they like. And sources suggest that pitcher of interest could be Lance Lynn, who they seem to prefer among the remaining top free-agent starters.

They certainly have the money to spend, and I've sorta felt Lynn's been underrated in free agent SP discussions, but I'm not sure I see him as a fit right now. Thoughts?

• glunn, Sconnie, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Better Lynn than Cobb. But I'd hope it's three years or less. And I really wouldn't have much faith in either.

Still would prefer a trade. Danny Duffy scenarios have been running through my head for a couple days now.
  • Carole Keller and Tomj14 like this

#3 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

If the team can improve the top 6 starting pitcher options, why not do it?

I think my main question with Lynn is if someone with his repertoire will continue to (or return to) pitch at an above average level.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

I feel like our interest in Lynn at this point might be like our interest in Ervin back in March 2014, when we offered him 3/33 which he declined for a one year deal elsewhere.

Although maybe we could be a destination on a one year deal too? Our contention chances are much better than they were in 2014.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

Lynn over Cobb, huh? I prefer Cobb but not for substantial enough reasons to really complain about it, I suppose.

• glunn, gil4, Twins33 and 9 others like this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

I feel like our interest in Lynn at this point might be like our interest in Ervin back in March 2014, when we offered him 3/33 which he declined for a one year deal elsewhere.

Although maybe we could be a destination on a one year deal too? Our contention chances are much better than they were in 2014.

If was running this team, I'd be willing to vastly overpay for a one year contract. Given the prospects in the upper minors and the team's legitimate chance to contend, it makes sense for both parties to go for a one year deal if nothing better surfaces.

• Carole Keller, glunn, diehardtwinsfan and 6 others like this

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,729 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

There was sometalking about it at the MLB Network this afternoon as well, but it was more of a speculation.  

Too much smoke though...

• Jerr, Sconnie and d-mac like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

With as little as we are hearing about Lynn and Cobb, I have to imagine they will be considering one year deals. Not ideal for them, but at least they could try the market again next winter without draft pick compensation attached.

Although I suppose they could let this play out a bit more, to see what SP might go down with injury this spring.
  • BoofBonser likes this

#9 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

If was running this team, I'd be willing to vastly overpay for a one year contract. Given the prospects in the upper minors and the team's legitimate chance to contend, it makes sense for both parties to go for a one year deal if nothing better surfaces.

I've said this before, but if I were in charge my approach might be to create a list of remaining free agent pitchers in order of preference, reach out to each one and say "What amount would it take to get you to consider a one-year deal?" then sign the first one who says something you consider reasonable.

• Brock Beauchamp, USAFChief, glunn and 10 others like this

#10 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Sorry to see Chargois waived. Is it injury related or did the FO see enough from him and others last year that he became the odd man out?

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,823 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

With sincere apology to you Nick.

After Darvish rumors all winter. I've opted not to read this article and the responses. 

I'm hoping this way the Twins can surprise me. 

Senior-Man-Plugging-Ears-tinnitus.jpg

BTW... This photo looks nothing like me. 

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 9 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#12 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Where do you guys see Lynn fitting in the rotation? I think he'd be a very solid 3/4 but could maybe be our opening day starter

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Where do you guys see Lynn fitting in the rotation? I think he'd be a very solid 3/4 but could maybe be our opening day starter

No way he should slot ahead of Berrios, IMO.
Then again, the order is pretty meaningless.

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

Which is why this team should be/should have ensured they got someone significantly better than Lynn and Cobb.
  • Sconnie and Original Whizzinator like this

#15 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Must have some reason to like Lynn over Cobb.Do not see it as Lynn is a National League pitcher with all those advantages.But we shall see.

• TheLeviathan and Original Whizzinator like this

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

I've said this before, but if I were in charge my approach might be to create a list of remaining free agent pitchers in order of preference, reach out to each one and say "What amount would it take to get you to consider a one-year deal?" then sign the first one who says something you consider reasonable.

Exactly. The Twins not only have interesting prospects in Gonsalves and Romero but they essentially already signed Pineda to a one year deal for 2019.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#17 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

Agreed.I'd offer a 1-year, high $ deal and see if he bites.Maybe $15mil.See if he's willing to bet on himself and a looser market next winter.

Of course, I forgot about the compensatory pick he would cost.Any idea what that might be?

Edited by mudcat14, 22 February 2018 - 07:58 PM.

• Carole Keller likes this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#18 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Lynn for 3 years and $45M would be a very good move to me. I feel like he's being underrated. This would be an ok deal even if he was only as good as he was last year, and if he pitches like he did before the injury, it would be a great deal.

• laloesch and cmoss84 like this

#19 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

He actually kept reposting it. It was up pretty early today. He just tends to share his links multiple times per day, so in this case the timing was probably intentional, but just a rerun.

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Lynn would be a far better option than anyone else they have. If they can figure out why LH hits him hard and correct that, he is a top of the rotation starter. Otherwise he would be addition enough to get you to the wild card game again.