Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Draft stuff

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

I'll not do this every week, but my first of my mock drafts (will be a new one every Monday now until the draft):

https://calltothepen...ft-version-1-0/

• gunnarthor and Cory Engelhardt like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#62 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

I'll not do this every week, but my first of my mock drafts (will be a new one every Monday now until the draft):

https://calltothepen...ft-version-1-0/

I like mock drafts. BA has one up but it's behind a pay wall.

#63 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Mayo has a mock up

https://www.mlb.com/...cks/c-274577288

#64 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Your YouTube is going to be a very good source for my mock drafts (first one comes out Monday, just saying...)

I've still got alot of video that I haven't gotten out there yet from the WWBA in October, couple from this years draft and a couple for the next two drafts.  

• biggentleben likes this

#65 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Callis has a mock up - https://www.mlb.com/...aft/c-276190214

Mocks are sort of fun if for no other reason to see how some strange things could happen. Callis has the Twins nabbing Florida RHP Jackson Kowar who, at #20, would be a pretty nice get.

Callis also suggested that a hamstring injury might let Kumar Rocker to fall past the Twins to the Cubs.

#66 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

fangraphs mock - https://www.fangraph...ck-draft-v-2-0/

Twins taking Turang, the shortstop with lots of tools. Also notes that the Twins were heavily watching Rocker before he went down.

#67 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

For those interested, SI wrote a mostly sympathetic article about Luke Heimlich, the standout college pitcher who plead guilty to a crim sex crime against his 6 year old niece when he was 15 (I believe he was 13 when the crime occurred). 

Heimlich has top shelf stuff and was going to be a first round pick last year before the story surfaced. No one drafted him and he went back to school for another year. He's still dominating on the diamond. It's an open question on whether any team will draft him. My guess is no but someone will quietly offer him a post draft free agent deal, cut him when the story gets out, and then the Cubs will sign him for even less.

https://www.si.com/m...ch-oregon-state

I have no idea where to stand on this issue. On one hand, the allegations he plead guilty to are creepy as ****. On the other hand, I strongly believe that children should be given the chance to rehabilitate and the experts say he is very unlikely to commit such a crime again and he successfully completed the programs he needed. On the third hand, that shouldn't mean he gets a million dollar job. On the fourth hand, this wouldn't have been a story if he wasn't an accomplished athlete (Oregon State has 11 registered sex offenders who are not the focus of campus newspaper stories).

The article talks with sexual abuse survivors and experts as well as crim sex abuse lawyers. I think those parts were the most interesting. Yes, innocent people plead guilty to these kind of crimes all the time but guilty people are also full of denial of the harm they caused. The entire thing sucks.

At the end of the day, if the Twins get him, I'll probably end up hoping for the best b/c I root for the uniform but I'll feel gross about it, just like I did when I rooted for AP. But I hope that we find a good college pitcher without the issues instead. 

Edited by gunnarthor, 17 May 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#68 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

For those interested, SI wrote a mostly sympathetic article about Luke Heimlich, the standout college pitcher who plead guilty to a crim sex crime against his 6 year old niece when he was 15 (I believe he was 13 when the crime occurred).

Heimlich has top shelf stuff and was going to be a first round pick last year before the story surfaced. No one drafted him and he went back to school for another year. He's still dominating on the diamond. It's an open question on whether any team will draft him. My guess is no but someone will quietly offer him a post draft free agent deal, cut him when the story gets out, and then the Cubs will sign him for even less.

I have no idea where to stand on this issue. ,,......pitcher without the issues instead.

Tough call. I too believe in second chances. But, I don't know that I want to root for him on my team. I certainly wouldn't say he shouldn't get a job, and baseball is a job.... But I don't want to root for him. Tough call.

KLAW, iirc, won't even rate him. But I could be remembering that wrong.
  • dgwills likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#69 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

It would be a huge distraction in the lockeroom. The kid made his bed and now has to lie in it. Pass
  • Twins33 and dgwills like this

#70 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

He pled guilty but maintains he was innocent, and given the state of the criminal justice system, you really can't take a guilty plea at face value.

That said, if our criminal justice system doesn't include rehabilitation, then it's broken. And if we can't ever move beyond what a child did at age 13, then how can we claim we believe in rehabilitation?

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, pbrezeasap and 7 others like this

#71 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

I have no idea where to stand on this issue. On one hand, the allegations he plead guilty to are creepy as ****. On the other hand, I strongly believe that children should be given the chance to rehabilitate and the experts say he is very unlikely to commit such a crime again and he successfully completed the programs he needed. On the third hand, that shouldn't mean he gets a million dollar job. On the fourth hand, this wouldn't have been a story if he wasn't an accomplished athlete (Oregon State has 11 registered sex offenders who are not the focus of campus newspaper stories).

The article talks with sexual abuse survivors and experts as well as crim sex abuse lawyers. I think those parts were the most interesting. Yes, innocent people plead guilty to these kind of crimes all the time but guilty people are also full of denial of the harm they caused. The entire thing sucks.

At the end of the day, if the Twins get him, I'll probably end up hoping for the best b/c I root for the uniform but I'll feel gross about it, just like I did when I rooted for AP. But I hope that we find a good college pitcher without the issues instead. 

I don't think this is a tough call. The kid should geta second chance.

The issue at hand is whether or not he's done enough to earn it. That is something only a team can determine (and many in a team's fanbase won't care), and I can certainly see wanting to shy away from him. It's hard to tell whether there's genuine remorse from just a few articles, nor can we see the amount of rehabilitation he's done in comparison to the nature of the crime. Any team looking to draft him should be looking very close at this stuff.

#72 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

I don't think this is a tough call. The kid should geta second chance.

The issue at hand is whether or not he's done enough to earn it. That is something only a team can determine (and many in a team's fanbase won't care), and I can certainly see wanting to shy away from him. It's hard to tell whether there's genuine remorse from just a few articles, nor can we see the amount of rehabilitation he's done in comparison to the nature of the crime. Any team looking to draft him should be looking very close at this stuff.

As a father of a five-year-old girl, I'd actively stop rooting for the Twins if they gave it to him. He can go have a second chance as an accountant or whatever. 

#73 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,584 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

As a father of a five-year-old girl, I'd actively stop rooting for the Twins if they gave it to him. He can go have a second chance as an accountant or whatever. 

Maybe wait until your kid is 13 before making your final answer.

• 70charger likes this

#74 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

Yes, he can have his second chance by not being in jail and working a normal job. An MLB team just doesn't need to go there for talent.

• Twins33 and ALessKosherScott like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#75 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

Maybe wait until your kid is 13 before making your final answer.

I went to Oregon State's rival, and most of the people I know who went to OSU are pretty insufferable on the topic of Heimlich. The truth is he wouldn't be on the team if he were a utility infielder or if the team weren't aiming for another College World Series title. What he admitted guilt for is sickening and the fact that he's trying to pawn off that he received "bad legal advice" is even more revolting. The kid took an easy way out by avoiding trial and is playing the victim when what he did became public.

I couldn't in good conscience put my daughter in a Twins shirt if the organization chose willing to stand behind Heimlich. So I'd walk away. 

#76 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

These last few responses show just how hard this decision is....rehabilitation sounds great, until the person moves into your neighborhood, or is on your favorite team.....this is, as I said above, not an easy decision imo.

Because of the headaches, I'd pass on him as a team. 

• gunnarthor, Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#77 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

These last few responses show just how hard this decision is....rehabilitation sounds great, until the person moves into your neighborhood, or is on your favorite team.....this is, as I said above, not an easy decision imo.

Because of the headaches, I'd pass on him as a team. 

Just makes me uncomfortable because it comes down to nothing but PR. It's substance-free argumentum ab genitalia. Bad arguments are still bad if you preface them with "as a parent..."

I prefer not to be ruled by the lynch mob. Maybe that's just me.

#78 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Just makes me uncomfortable because it comes down to nothing but PR. It's substance-free argumentum ab genitalia. Bad arguments are still bad if you preface them with "as a parent..."

I pretty much flip flop on this all the time. I see both arguments.

#79 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

I think if you want to see the lynch mob mentality in full effect, I'd head to Brenda Tracy's twitter page. For the back story, she survived a gang rape by members of the Oregon State football team to become an advocate for victim's rights.

The wormhole of hate she gets on this Tweet is phenomenally bad.

And this one.

And this one.

Even if Heimlich wins them game 7 of the World Series, there's nothing good that comes from the team drafting Luke Heimlich.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#80 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

And bad arguments are still bad when you preface them with "as a rape victim..." It's still 100% emotion. Congratulations for believing the victim unconditionally, with no concession made for pesky truth or the possibility of reformation. So brave to refuse to think.

If you put athletes on a pedestal and idolize them, then that's on you. If you can't separate your personal status from a justice that ought to be impartial, then that's also on you.

Edited by 70charger, 18 May 2018 - 08:42 PM.