Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Draft stuff

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,794 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Eric L posts a decent amount of video on Twitter. And thanks to Bob go doing so here.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#42 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

#42 on BA Top 200 MLB draft prospects is OF Joe Gray Jr

Gray is 6'3 195lb shows off plus tools all around the diamond.Video I took of Gray at the 2017 WWBA

Pipeline compares him to Torii Hunter. Good power, strong arm. Raw. He's pretty young, will turn 18 in a few days.

#43 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

#42 on BA Top 200 MLB draft prospects is OF Joe Gray Jr

Gray is 6'3 195lb shows off plus tools all around the diamond.Video I took of Gray at the 2017 WWBA

Gray is a beast! I've been impressed by his raw tools in every viewing I've had of him. Thanks for sharing!!

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#44 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

Pipeline compares him to Torii Hunter. Good power, strong arm. Raw. He's pretty young, will turn 18 in a few days.

That would have made him one of the older first round high schoolers last year. Crazy how many turned 18 within a month of the draft or not until after the draft!

• gunnarthor likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#45 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:19 AM

Gray is a beast! I've been impressed by his raw tools in every viewing I've had of him. Thanks for sharing!!

Being at the WWBA for the past 7 years (and really paying attention the last 5yr) I have definitely seen some amazing talent sometimes as early as an 8th grader (Blaze Jordan this year) but usually the talent manifests during the Jr and Sr year.I was highly intrigued with JoJo in the 2016 WWBA when he was with theBraves scout team/ East Cobb but at the time he was considered more of a pure burner who ran plus routes while showcasing a plus to plus plus arm in the outfield.The amount of muscle he put on during the year span was pretty astonishing which has lead to him driving the ball with authority to along with his better than average barrel to ball ratio .

• gunnarthor and biggentleben like this

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,735 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

You want to feel really old?

This is going to be the first year we'll see players drafted that were born in the year 2000....

• Twins33 and beckmt like this

#47 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,455 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I'm going to check with Chief and get his take on the pros and cons before deciding.

• nicksaviking likes this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#48 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

Fangraphs' guy on some college players who will go in the first two rounds.

https://www.fangraph...raft-prospects/

Florida 3B India looks like a guy who could get nabbed at 20.

#49 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,077 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

wouldn't mind Ryan Jeffers. The team is light on catching prospects and getting a decent college catcher should be a priority. 

I do hope they nab one or two HS pitchers in the top 10. 

#50 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

wouldn't mind Ryan Jeffers. The team is light on catching prospects and getting a decent college catcher should be a priority. 

I do hope they nab one or two HS pitchers in the top 10.

Of course I concur that the Twins are in a good position to take Best Player available. IF there is a slight positional bias, I agree with Diehard that catcher has been a perennial position of relative weakness.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#51 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,077 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:36 AM

Of course I concur that the Twins are in a good position to take Best Player available. IF there is a slight positional bias, I agree with Diehard that catcher has been a perennial position of relative weakness.

With Garver graduated, Rortvedt is probably the only high ceiling catcher in the system right now. I think they'd be wise to focus on it.

BPA, while subjective, really doesn't amount to much outside of the first (and maybe second) rounds, so stocking up on pitching and catching that that point would be smart. 

#52 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

This is going to be the first year we'll see players drafted that were born in the year 2000....

That day happened almost 20 years ago when the Twins drafted Joe Mauer. I played high school hockey with his grandfather's brother. I'm pretty sure my athritis appeared that day also.
  • nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

#53 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

Kiley McDaniel has a bunch of notes on prep prospects projected in the first few rounds:

If you are interested in pitchers it sounds like Mason Denaburg could be a buy low candidate around where the Twins pick due to a minor injury, though he could also re-establish himself in the top 10.Cole Winn could be on the Twins radar and Gunnar Hogland is a helium name to keep an eye on (and his bat could also attract some teams).

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#54 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Kiley McDaniel has a bunch of notes on prep prospects projected in the first few rounds:

If you are interested in pitchers it sounds like Mason Denaburg could be a buy low candidate around where the Twins pick due to a minor injury, though he could also re-establish himself in the top 10.Cole Winn could be on the Twins radar and Gunnar Hogland is a helium name to keep an eye on (and his bat could also attract some teams).

Well, Gunnarthor wants Gunnar Hogland.

That said, a guy like Jordyn Adams seems to be the traditional toolsy type OF prospect that the Twins have a lot of history taking and McDaniel mentioned both Buxton and Lewis when describing him.

Lastly, in my first post in this thread I thought the Twins might take a prep guy like Denaburg and he certainly seems like he could be there at 20.

#55 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

Was going to post that I think Mike Vasil should go to the Twins. Googled him real quick and saw he almost had a perfect game the other day. He may shoot up higher than the Twins pick.

#56 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,077 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

I'd like that. As I said before, I'm a huge fan of them taking a prep pitcher at 1. If he's there, it would be hard to ignore, especially with mid 90s velo. 

• dgwills likes this

#57 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

Updated prospect order from fangraphs duo.

https://www.fangraph...draft-rankings/

There are a lot of prep arms in the, say, 10-30 range that will probably get shuffled around a lot depending on price tag and how teams' scouts view them. The draft seems pitching heavy but a guy like Brice Turang, a plus defender at short with a bat that needs work, could also be the type of player the Twins target if they think his bat will come along. 

Their rankings go 55 deep and the Twins second pick is #59 so a few of these guys might end up available then, too.

• birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#58 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

Updated prospect order from fangraphs duo.

https://www.fangraph...draft-rankings/

There are a lot of prep arms in the, say, 10-30 range that will probably get shuffled around a lot depending on price tag and how teams' scouts view them. The draft seems pitching heavy but a guy like Brice Turang, a plus defender at short with a bat that needs work, could also be the type of player the Twins target if they think his bat will come along. 

Their rankings go 55 deep and the Twins second pick is #59 so a few of these guys might end up available then, too.

I feel pretty good, seen 19 of their Top 55 in person within the last year and most the HS within the last 6 months, and quite a few that fell off the list from earlier.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and biggentleben like this

#59 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

I feel pretty good, seen 19 of their Top 55 in person within the last year and most the HS within the last 6 months, and quite a few that fell off the list from earlier.

Your YouTube is going to be a very good source for my mock drafts (first one comes out Monday, just saying...)

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

#60 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

mlbpipeline has updated their top 100 for the draft.

http://m.mlb.com/pro...2018?list=draft

They also have an article about the draft. Generally, it's a depth draft (which is good for us) and heavy on high school players, particularly arms. "It's a high school dominant Draft," one National League scouting director said. "There are some good college players at the top of the Draft, though maybe not the star potential of some of the Drafts of the past."