Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Draft stuff

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

I forgot about Wade! Big fan.
  • beckmt likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#22 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

AAA has pitching, but other than Gordon, is there a single hitter that is a good prospect? I have no idea, but I can't think of one.

It kind of depends on who breaks camp with the big club.Granite could very well be at AAA.Garver looks like he'll likely stick in the majors to start.Lamont Wade should be at AAA.A lot of bats have graduated the past couple years, so the bulk of hitting prospects are at the lower levels.

I'm hoping for more pitching at the top of the draft, but they have to take the best players, especially with the first couple of picks.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,637 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

AAA has pitching, but other than Gordon, is there a single hitter that is a good prospect? I have no idea, but I can't think of one.

The bats are a bit lower... fortunately, bats aren't going to be much of an issue in the majors for a couple years yet. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

The bats are a bit lower... fortunately, bats aren't going to be much of an issue in the majors for a couple years yet. 

We could send down to AAA all the Twins batters born in 1993 or later, if Rochester's batting order is thought to be a concern. :)

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#25 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:46 AM

Any consenus out there? Strong class/weak/average/too early to tell? Any positions stronger than others. I prefer prep pitching early, especially considering our low A ball lineup is stacked, but it’s all about value.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

Take the best player available, but will also lean to pitching if very close.MLB pitchers are hard to come by so taking pitching is usually best if you have close choices.  

If this last couple of years has shown anything is the change in bullpen roles, so multi-inning pitchers with great stuff if a priority,seems like you can find some decent hitting in FA if not middle infield and the Twins have a lot of those in the pipeline now. 

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

Any consenus out there? Strong class/weak/average/too early to tell? Any positions stronger than others. I prefer prep pitching early, especially considering our low A ball lineup is stacked, but it’s all about value.

The only two things I've read were that it's a bit deeper than last year and prep arms are the best thing in this draft.

• nytwinsfan and howieramone2 like this

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

I'd want more prep players. Only real problem is that the draft pool won't really accommodate for this. If there are a lot, I wonder if there's a strategy involving drafting a few college seniors in rounds 6-10 to take a stab at a falling prep player or two in another round. 

I doubt we get a decent college pitcher in the late 20s. You might get a really good bat. 

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'd want more prep players. Only real problem is that the draft pool won't really accommodate for this. If there are a lot, I wonder if there's a strategy involving drafting a few college seniors in rounds 6-10 to take a stab at a falling prep player or two in another round. 

I doubt we get a decent college pitcher in the late 20s. You might get a really good bat. 

Depends on how the teams ahead of us want this to play out. We're picking 20 so we certainly will have some prep arms to choose from. And every year someone falls. Last year, Alex Faedo (early season favorite to go in the top 4) fell to 18. The year before we saw Dakota Hudson, who was supposed to go around #15, drop to 34. Jordan Sheffield fell a few spots further. Alec Hanson fell to the third round (I really wished we hadn't passed on him). Walker Buehler fell from a top 5 guy to 24. College pitchers are watched so much that their flaws sometimes get over amplified and the shiny new prep arms just seem more exciting.

It's way early but mlbpipeline gave 17 guys a FV grade of 55 or better. So I wouldn't be surprised if a college arm like Rolison, Weathers, Gilbert, Kowar or Mize ended up being there at 20. The Twins also have an extra pick so they can play with their pool a bit. 

• birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,910 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

Depends on how the teams ahead of us want this to play out. We're picking 20 so we certainly will have some prep arms to choose from. And every year someone falls. Last year, Alex Faedo (early season favorite to go in the top 4) fell to 18. The year before we saw Dakota Hudson, who was supposed to go around #15, drop to 34. Jordan Sheffield fell a few spots further. Alec Hanson fell to the third round (I really wished we hadn't passed on him). Walker Buehler fell from a top 5 guy to 24. College pitchers are watched so much that their flaws sometimes get over amplified and the shiny new prep arms just seem more exciting.

I agree, the Twins find themselves in the spot in the draft where teams willing to gamble on upside can get some nice prizes who fell unexpectedly. Also from last year Seth Romero fell to that range. Sean Manaea and Luke Weaver did in years past as well.

If the team isn't locked into a college pitcher, some of the best college bats tend to fall here because they're not as sexy as the raw HS kids. Jeren kendall, Joey Gallo, Derek Fischer and Aaron Judge were all guys that were supposed to be top picks going into the season but dropped in lieu of those all too tempting HS bats.

Of course many years there's still one of those high ceiling HS arms that fall due to injury or sign-ability like Joey Wentz, Lucas Giolito or Lance McCullers.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

It's way early but mlbpipeline gave 17 guys a FV grade of 55 or better. So I wouldn't be surprised if a college arm like Rolison, Weathers, Gilbert, Kowar or Mize ended up being there at 20. The Twins also have an extra pick so they can play with their pool a bit. 

Yeah, I think my preference at this point would be a prep arm. I know there's more risk there, but there's probably more reward at that layer. A college arm that far down isn't likely going to have ace upside. You might get a really good college bat, which wouldn't be a bad thing for a system that is weak in bats in the high minors, but given the young core, I have to think a prep arm makes sense. At pick 20, there won't likely be a clear BPA, and we will not likely end up with a top 100 player either. 

• Dman and nytwinsfan like this

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Depends on your definition. The Twins have a good collection of guys who should contribute as major leaguers in the upper levels - high floor sort of guys that should work on a major league bench at least like LaMonte Wade, Mitch Garver (technically not officially graduated as a prospect), Zach Granite, Gordon, and one that a lot of people forget about, Max Murphy, one of the better defensive outfielders in the entire farm system. T.J. White and Chris Paul could also be guys who wouldn't be stars, but could be at least solid bench pieces if not decent regulars.

While that's not flashy, that's significant to have that many legit major league caliber players in the upper minors. There is a reason many around the game have really stood up to take note of the Twins system depth from top to bottom, not just the high-variance talent in the lower levels, but the guys who are at the upper levels as well.

• milldam and howieramone2 like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#33 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Coming out of summer the thought was that it was an extremely deep pitching class in both high school and college arms. There is also unusual depth in catchers that could impact with both the bat and glove, especially at the high school level. The 2016 draft had a significant amount of depth of quality defensive college receivers, but this could be the draft to use a 2nd on a high school backstop.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Dman and 1 other like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#34 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, I think my preference at this point would be a prep arm. I know there's more risk there, but there's probably more reward at that layer. A college arm that far down isn't likely going to have ace upside. You might get a really good college bat, which wouldn't be a bad thing for a system that is weak in bats in the high minors, but given the young core, I have to think a prep arm makes sense. At pick 20, there won't likely be a clear BPA, and we will not likely end up with a top 100 player either. 

That depends. You could see a guy like Steven Gingery be a good 3rd/4th round target. He was a top-50 guy before TJS with very solid stuff from the left side.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

I don't know why we would count Garver as a AAA player, or Granite. I already acknowledged I missed Wade. But the others? Are we just going to assume everyone is going to work out now?
  • Tomj14 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#36 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

I don't know why we would count Garver as a AAA player, or Granite. I already acknowledged I missed Wade. But the others? Are we just going to assume everyone is going to work out now?

No, not at all. That's why the ones mentioned have at least a carrying tool that would allow them to claim a bench role in the major league.

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

I admit I fell into the trap further up in the thread, but can we please keep the discussion to the thread topic concerning the June draft, and move discussion of the state of the farm system somewhere else?

• gunnarthor likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#38 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Well took a few months but I've finally started to putting some of the videos I took at the 2017 WWBA, collection of the top HS talent in the country, together on the same complex.The first one is of top HS SS Nander de Sedas, the kid is an amazing talent, switch hitting capabilities, strong arm, soft hands, plus range, plus glove; he really reminds me alot of Fransisco Lindor who I saw at the WWBA in 2010.He's going to be taken in the first round, the question is how high as some have him as high as a Top 5 talent.

Nander de Sedas,S/R , SS,6'1, 190lbs

• clutterheart and nicksaviking like this

#39 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'm not well-versed on college and prep talent, so I can't comment much.But, wouldn't it be fair to say that the Twins are on the cusp of being a perennial contender for a while, therefore will be picking more quick-to-MLB college players?Particularly, pitchers?Of course you always mix it up with a little of everything, but that's my assumption that they would lean this way.

My guess also.

#40 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

#42 on BA Top 200 MLB draft prospects is OF Joe Gray Jr

Gray is 6'3 195lb shows off plus tools all around the diamond.Video I took of Gray at the 2017 WWBA