Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Draft stuff

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Just got around to noticing this but mlbpipeline has their draft top 50 up. Twins pick 20, 60, 75 and 95 early.

According to minorleagueball's draft scout guy, this draft is very high on prep arms. They also had a report up on Div II players.

It's really early but some of the prep arms - like Mason Denaberg - sound pretty exciting and a few will slip to the Twins. I haven't seen how much draft pool the Twins have but with an extra pick (#75) they'll have some wiggle room to maybe pay a bit over slot.

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt, nytwinsfan and 5 others like this

#2 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:03 AM

It is nice to not have the June draft be the highlight of the season for a change.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 13 others like this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,508 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

https://www.fangraph...pening-weekend/
  • gunnarthor and Dance with Disco Dan like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

I'm hoping Kumar Rocker falls to us at 20, then we find someone named Harold to draft in round 2.
  • ashburyjohn, Thrylos, Mike Sixel and 8 others like this

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,938 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'm hoping Kumar Rocker falls to us at 20,

You know what would be cool is if...

then we find someone named Harold to draft in round 2.

Oh. You spotted that too. :)

• DannySD likes this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#6 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:10 AM

I'm hoping Kumar Rocker falls to us at 20, then we find someone named Harold to draft in round 2.

Kumar is a beast, I've seen the kid pitch since he was a Freshman and physically speaking he's a big boy that usually would play football (and I know he wasn't happy that his parents made him quit).He's already 6'5 250lb but looks like he might be done growing as back as a freshman in HS he was 6'4 205.He'll also have to be paid handsomely as he's committed to Vandy and I can only image how he'd develop in their system in three years.

• Respy likes this

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

Kumar is a beast, I've seen the kid pitch since he was a Freshman and physically speaking he's a big boy that usually would play football (and I know he wasn't happy that his parents made him quit).He's already 6'5 250lb but looks like he might be done growing as back as a freshman in HS he was 6'4 205.He'll also have to be paid handsomely as he's committed to Vandy and I can only image how he'd develop in their system in three years.

Is he a reliever or a starter? The comp I read was to Lee Smith.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,577 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

So we have all the lists in one place.From BA:

High School top 50 and

College top 50.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,577 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

So far I like Jackson Kowar for the spot the Twins are picking, but he seems to have tons of helium in that MLB pipeline list.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

So far I like Jackson Kowar for the spot the Twins are picking, but he seems to have tons of helium in that MLB pipeline list.

Faedo dropped a bit last year so maybe he will too. But college arms like his probably don't make it to 20 without a flaw or lower ceiling.

#11 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'm not well-versed on college and prep talent, so I can't comment much.But, wouldn't it be fair to say that the Twins are on the cusp of being a perennial contender for a while, therefore will be picking more quick-to-MLB college players?Particularly, pitchers?Of course you always mix it up with a little of everything, but that's my assumption that they would lean this way.

• howieramone2 likes this

#12 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Is he a reliever or a starter? The comp I read was to Lee Smith.

As with most pitchers, he's a starter til he proves elsewise, I get the Lee Smith comp for size and stuff.Personally, I see him more as a right handed CC Sabathia as of right now, kid's fastball has been clocked at 98.4 mph at Perfect Game events and he has a plus slider.What I love about him is that he uses his tree trunk of legs to create his velo and his delivery is very low maintenance.Like I said he's going to have to be paid very well to bypass his commitment to Vanderbilt, as he's a smart kid.

I've got videos of most of the top talent from the 2017 WWBA PG event from October, I've just been too lazy to upload them all.Kumar skipped the event this year but starred in as a Sophomore in 2016

Here's Rocker at the PG National in August 2017 up to 98 mph

• gunnarthor and Oldgoat_MN like this

#13 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'm not well-versed on college and prep talent, so I can't comment much.But, wouldn't it be fair to say that the Twins are on the cusp of being a perennial contender for a while, therefore will be picking more quick-to-MLB college players?Particularly, pitchers?Of course you always mix it up with a little of everything, but that's my assumption that they would lean this way.

Well you have plenty of PG events in the Southwest Florida area esp JetBlue, Hammond, Terry Park, etc.Saw Rocker as a Freshman in Fort Myers

#14 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

Hoping for a college arm at this point. Maybe Sean Hjelle.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#15 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

A Canadian, who went to Kentucky, and was already drafted by the Twins? Is there any debate? Tristan Pompey is they’re #1 pick!

• nicksaviking, Dman, Deduno Abides and 1 other like this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

A Canadian, who went to Kentucky, and was already drafted by the Twins? Is there any debate? Tristan Pompey is they’re #1 pick!

Wow, yeah those are three Twins hallmarks. Got to be the front runner. He also has a pedigree seeing as his brother is already in the league.

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

Not really at all. The team should draft the best player and best fit for their development. When you ever base a draft around need, that's when that whole year's draft ends up blowing up in your face. There is a wealth of pitching in the farm system that is bumping against the major league door and also very intriguing arms in the lower levels. Yet, the Twins are also blessed with some advanced bats that should impact the major league team in 2018-2019 and also some solid bats that are 3-4 years away. They're in a perfect spot to truly get the best player available.

• birdwatcher, beckmt, milldam and 5 others like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#18 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

I personally like it when they go with High school guys in the early rounds.They can be more expensive to sign but given recent history those picks seem to work out better for us (Kiroloff, Gordon, Badoo, Miranda, Lewis).I am sure they will go BPA but I like going high school in the first round especially since we have extra money with the extra 2nd round pick we might be able to sign someone who slipped a little.I would even go high school in the second round.After that it doesn't matter much to me.

Twins have been pretty good at mixing it up so hard to say what they will do.Right now we have a good mix at most levels.High A and AA could use more talent but AAA and low A are full of talent right now.My big hope is that they can find quality pitching in the draft.Feels like we are a little short when it comes to high quality starters.

• birdwatcher likes this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

AAA has pitching, but other than Gordon, is there a single hitter that is a good prospect? I have no idea, but I can't think of one.
  • Tomj14 and caninatl04 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#20 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

AAA has pitching, but other than Gordon, is there a single hitter that is a good prospect? I have no idea, but I can't think of one.

Yeah you are right, light on hitters there. I was thinking Wade and Granite and maybe White as well for AAA.They might not quite reach your "good" level but they are in the Twins top 30.That being said we are in better shape with the young hitters we have in MLB than we are with pitchers. There are quite a few interesting starter and reliever options in AAA this year.