Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Why not sign Mike Moustakus for third base? Then move Sano for Archer?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

I like the idea mentioned of trading a package including Kepler and signing Martinez much more.

#42 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Regardless of the Odorizzi trade, the Twins should still be pushing a Chris Archer Trade that would involve Sano (Eduardo takes 3rd), Gonsalves, Mejia, Gordon. Seriously,there's no way they could refuse this one.

Also the Twins should still be looking into RH bats through trades and signings. Additions like Carlos Gomez (moving Rosario to DH) and or a bench made up Josh Harrison (wants out of Pittsburgh), Kennys Vargas, Robbie Grossman, Danny Valencia, and Mitch Garver would be dangerous. 

#43 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Regardless of the Odorizzi trade, the Twins should still be pushing a Chris Archer Trade that would involve Sano (Eduardo takes 3rd), Gonsalves, Mejia, Gordon. Seriously,there's no way they could refuse this one.

All that for Archer?

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Also the Twins should still be looking into RH bats through trades and signings. Additions like Carlos Gomez (moving Rosario to DH) and or a bench made up Josh Harrison (wants out of Pittsburgh), Kennys Vargas, Robbie Grossman, Danny Valencia, and Mitch Garver would be dangerous.

IMO, Falvine should be fired on the spot, and possibly tarred and feathered if they make that trade.
  • gunnarthor and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#45 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

Did anyone read the article written by Brian Murphy with the Pioneer Press interviewing Paul Molitor on Sano back on Feb. 7th? https://www.twinciti...sano-unresolved

After reading the article I see some serious red flags with Sano. Reading between the lines with Molitor's comments I think they have their hands full with this kid.  Yes there are injury, conditioning and sexual assault charge concerns surrounding Sano but I think the Twins are more worried about his attitude. 

I think Sano could be a legitimate superstar someday but he doesn't seem to be on a great path at the moment. If you don't think this is something he can mature through at 25 years old maybe a trade is wise.  

Good article with some interesting insights.

• Jerr and jimmer like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#46 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

We will always live in fear that Sano could become the NEXT David Ortiz, for an organization other than the Twins.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#47 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

Sano looks huge, the puffy face is a real tell.

He's pushing into Plus Panda territory.

• Twins33 likes this

#48 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Sano looks huge, the puffy face is a real tell.

He's pushing into Plus Panda territory.

I noticed that as well. I think it’s time to start worrying
  • Jerr likes this

#49 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,814 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

I noticed that as well. I think it’s time to start worrying

it's been time time to worry for a couple years now. No matter how hard some push back at the idea.
  • Jerr and Jham like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#50 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

Did anyone read the article written by Brian Murphy with the Pioneer Press interviewing Paul Molitor on Sano back on Feb. 7th? https://www.twinciti...sano-unresolved

After reading the article I see some serious red flags with Sano. Reading between the lines with Molitor's comments I think they have their hands full with this kid.  Yes there are injury, conditioning and sexual assault charge concerns surrounding Sano but I think the Twins are more worried about his attitude. 

I think Sano could be a legitimate superstar someday but he doesn't seem to be on a great path at the moment. If you don't think this is something he can mature through at 25 years old maybe a trade is wise.  

Good article with some interesting insights.

I couldn't agree more! And I have a strong belief, that getting so much fame/money before one proves themselves, in the MLB; only leads to some of their struggles. Too much, at a young age to make them perform or be hungry for more success.......

Edited by Jerr, 19 February 2018 - 10:37 AM.

• twinssporto likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#51 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

I couldn't agree more! And I have a strong belief, that getting so much fame/money before one proves themselves, in the MLB; only leads to some of their struggles. Too much, at a young age to make them perform or be hungry for more sucess.......

Yeah, those million dollar bonuses are the reason Strasburg and Harper haven't reached their potential.

• InterQuartileFlange likes this

#52 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, those million dollar bonuses are the reason Strasburg and Harper haven't reached their potential.

I don't mean all, but Sano, came from a far different upbringing. And now I see there are reports of him not in shape, again this Spring. Trust me, I want him to succeed .

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#53 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

I think its just another level of dedication to their profession.

https://www.washingt...m=.cd66654b2a9f

• Jerr likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#54 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,396 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I don't mean all, but Sano, came from a far different upbringing.

Moderator's note: I actually prefer to tread lightly here, but this starts to get problematic. Gary Sanchez of the Yankees is also from the DR and signed for a bonus just shy of Sano's, and it hasn't seemingly hurt his career. (Which may only demonstrate my ignorance of the differences between Santo Domingo, and San Pedro de Macoris. Perhaps your knowledge goes deeper.) We posters could go back and forth on these kinds of examples. But that's not really the point. I have two points actually:

1. in a thread about maybe signing one player and trading away another, rehashing the character of the latter player amounts to too much of a digression; and
  2. trying to determine causes of behavior are difficult at best, and can become needlessly contentious and quite possibly unintentionally hurtful when it crosses cultural lines.

The site's Comment Policy touches on this only briefly, but rather specifically: "Please be sensitive to the fact that comments relating to racial, cultural, national, gender and sexual identity can be offensive, even when there is no pejorative intent."

I am confident TD can foster an intelligent discussion of issues like this. But not in this thread. If anyone feels so moved, start a new thread, probably in the Sports Bar forum area. (And of course, response to this post doesn't belong here either. Discussion of moderation may be done in several ways laid out in the above link to the Comment Policy.)

Let's please back away from the tangent here. Thanks for your understanding, and please continue the discussion of the topic.

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#55 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

The lack of exercise over the winter is disappointing. Sure, he was recovering from surgery, but I’ve known plenty of senior citizens who undergo joint replacements and still find ways to keep fit. Thousands of athletes have bounced back from terrible knee injuries and look like they used the time to make the rest of their bodies stronger. It’s at best surprising that a 24 year-old athlete was sedentary while recovering from a rod placement and then shows up for the start of his job looking like he needs a neck beard to cover the extra chins. For the team to be acting as if it is normal and expected means they’re either not publicly sharing their true thoughts or are in a difficult place with this guy.

Reminds me of Whitey Herzog. When he decided he didn’t want All Star Keith Hernandez in his clubhouse anymore, Herzog traded Hernandez for anything he could get, which turned out to be a nearly useless Neil Allen, and still went to two more World Series.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 19 February 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#56 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Make Miguel Sano the centerpiece of a Chris Archer trade at third base maybe add in a pitcher like Romero or Kohl Stewart. They gave away there third basemen. I know Sano is a good player but with his PR baggage and stuff maybe a change of scenery would be good for him. if they really are focused on Archer as a target take's a quality player with some good upside to land a pitcher like that. Maybe the Ray's would not be interested in Sano, could be the Twins are not interested in moving him either but could be something to investigate.

Then take the money you were going to spend or invest in signing a free agent pitcher like Darvish and sign Moustakus with it. Moustakus is a vacuum at third base defensively, and we have seen it for years he hit's well in Target Field. Not exactly an ideal scenario, but I think then you sign another right handed bat to bring up some of the possible production lost. 

Even if you ignore trade values completely, Tampa wouldn't make that trade. Their FO philosophy is even cheaper than the Twins FO's. Their way is to build through the farm, use guys for a few years, then trade them for high draft picks. Sano doesn't fit that bill at all. He's a high-buck player with off-field issues. He also is beginning to sound like a lazy, egotistical, injury-prone player that may become a drag on a clubhouse. 

The natural trade partner for Sano is, of course, Boston. They'd probably cough up their #2 starter plus half their top ten prospects for Big Papi 2.0. Imagine ten years of 40+ home runs, just like with Ortiz. Sano is even bigger, even stronger.

Edited by jimbo92107, 19 February 2018 - 05:41 PM.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#57 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

In 2017, Moustakas had a higher ISO than Sano, even though Moose had “bad luck” with BABIP and Sano’s was sky high, especially for a slow guy.

Moustakas's wasn't unlucky last year.His BABIP has always trended low, because he's slow and doesn't hit the ball consistently hard.Meanwhile, Sano's BABIP was even higher in 2015 than it was last year, and was still relatively high in 2016...because when he puts the ball in play, he hits the **** out of the ball.

Whatever any of us think or fear regarding Sano and his future, now is not the time to sell.It's already too late, the return isn't going to go down materially from here...and the value has the potential of recovering materially from here.

#58 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

Moustakas's wasn't unlucky last year.His BABIP has always trended low, because he's slow and doesn't hit the ball consistently hard.Meanwhile, Sano's BABIP was even higher in 2015 than it was last year, and was still relatively high in 2016...because when he puts the ball in play, he hits the **** out of the ball.

Whatever any of us think or fear regarding Sano and his future, now is not the time to sell.It's already too late, the return isn't going to go down materially from here...and the value has the potential of recovering materially from here.

Is Sano better than Moustakas? Most likely, particularly on offense. Will Sano be better than Moustakas over the 3-4 years? Almost for sure, if he gets his weight and a few possible other issues under control. Is Sano better than Moustakas + Archer, as proposed by the OP? No, sorry (Art Fleming voice).

#59 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

The Rays aren't trading Archer for a more expensive player with possible off field issues .. and yes, Sano will cost more soon.
  • Jham likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#60 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

I would guess that the Rays and Twins are done on the trade front.I doubt we're going to turn around and trade for another of their arms.  

I would guess we called about Archer, exchanged names, found him too expensive, and move on to Odorizzi.The Archer ship has sailed.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and Twins33 like this