Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Why not sign Mike Moustakus for third base? Then move Sano for Archer?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

Make Miguel Sano the centerpiece of a Chris Archer trade at third base maybe add in a pitcher like Romero or Kohl Stewart. They gave away there third basemen. I know Sano is a good player but with his PR baggage and stuff maybe a change of scenery would be good for him. if they really are focused on Archer as a target take's a quality player with some good upside to land a pitcher like that. Maybe the Ray's would not be interested in Sano, could be the Twins are not interested in moving him either but could be something to investigate.

Then take the money you were going to spend or invest in signing a free agent pitcher like Darvish and sign Moustakus with it. Moustakus is a vacuum at third base defensively, and we have seen it for years he hit's well in Target Field. Not exactly an ideal scenario, but I think then you sign another right handed bat to bring up some of the possible production lost. 

• Deduno Abides, tarheeltwinsfan and J_Dobs like this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,614 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

Is dead money for a position player better or worse than dead money for a starting pitcher? I mean, suppose we signed Moustakas to a long-term deal, and after a few years he tanks, what do you do with him? With a pitcher, you can bury him in the bullpen and let him eat the innings that are lost causes or sure wins, which is a kind of need - with a batter, in this age of short benches, what do you do?

OTOH maybe a hitter is less likely to become as bad as pitchers do?

• Sconnie likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#3 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

Make Miguel Sano the centerpiece of a Chris Archer trade at third base maybe add in a pitcher like Romero or Kohl Stewart. They gave away there third basemen. I know Sano is a good player but with his PR baggage and stuff maybe a change of scenery would be good for him. if they really are focused on Archer as a target take's a quality player with some good upside to land a pitcher like that. Maybe the Ray's would not be interested in Sano, could be the Twins are not interested in moving him either but could be something to investigate.

Then take the money you were going to spend or invest in signing a free agent pitcher like Darvish and sign Moustakus with it. Moustakus is a vacuum at third base defensively, and we have seen it for years he hit's well in Target Field. Not exactly an ideal scenario, but I think then you sign another right handed bat to bring up some of the possible production lost. 

I wouldn't trade Sano straight up for Archer, let alone add Romero to the deal. If MN seriously offered that I think Tampa would have the papers faxed over before the Twins could hang up. 

Also Idk how much stock I'd put into Moustaka's numbers at Target Field. A LOT of guys hit well against terrible pitching. 

• Thrylos, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

I disagree with trading Sano right now. His ceiling is way high and he's not at peak value at this time. If he has a really good year this year, maybe, but I would want a huge return, certainly more than just one starting pitcher.
  • beckmt, Danchat and ewen21 like this

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

Never mind that Sano is a bit of a question mark right now, explain to me why the Rays would trade Archer, who is under contract for peanuts for the next four years, for Sano.

• jorgenswest, Oxtung, Sconnie and 4 others like this

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,498 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

I don't see the logic in a team that is looking to take the next step in creating one hole in their roster to fill another. I can get behind trading Kepler, as he was one of the weaker links in the starting 9 and has some question marks for a guy like Archer, but Sano is much like the cornerstone than the complimentary player. Ideally, I'd want both, but given that we missed out on Darvish, front line pitching such as Archer is going to cost us, and if the Rays want Kepler, that's a sacrifice worth making.

• Thrylos, mikelink45 and HitInAPinch like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,603 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

I don't like Moustakas all that much. A poor history of getting on base and his power only emerged in a contract year? I think you're getting that ordinary player we saw previous to 2017.

• beckmt, mikelink45, Jham and 4 others like this

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,281 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

No way I sign Moustakas when I can get Machado next year.
  • USAFChief, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#9 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Question is:Do we know the best of Sano at this point, and do we understand the worst of Sano?

His value has declined, not always because of what he has produced on the field. 

So, does Sano grow up and become the kind of hard contact extra-base-hit monster the Twins and everyone hopes for.

Or, does he sucker for the outside curve ball, languish in the field and become an albatross for the organization because of continual off-field issues?

That's a call that has to come from within the Twins organization.There has to be something akin to, but even stronger than, a gut call.They know this guy.He showers in their locker room.

High or low value moment, the Twins gotta know who this guy is and move accordingly.

• Jerr likes this

#10 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

If you really want to make a rival happy, trade Sano to Boston. They'll send you Pedroia for sure, and a couple fairly promising AA pitchers! ;-)

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#11 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:48 PM

You mean trade a guy who plays a position with replacements readily available and who was a non-factor when the Twins went on a late season run last year for a pitcher who would immediately become the team’s ace, when the team’s biggest weakness is pitching? Why would anyone do that??!

Edited by Deduno Abides, 14 February 2018 - 11:48 PM.

• adjacent, Platoon and HrbekRules like this

#12 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,843 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:09 AM

I would be open to a trade for Sano for pitching. In fact I would encourage it. I am not sure I would try and replace him with Moustakis, but something has to be given up to get pitching. It's obvious it won't be money. That leaves trades, or a believe in the orginisation that they have something in the pipeline we don't know about.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#13 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

I'd probably be on board with a deal like that.

Yes, they'd be selling low in terms of his talent, but they'd probably be selling high in terms of everything else - either due to guilt or perceived guilt from the public.

Not to say what allegedly happened will ever happen again with him - only time will tell on that one - but if you could take a guy with durability concerns and potential "character issues" and turn him into pitching, it would be worth considering.

It could come back to bite you Papi-style down the line, but it could also bite you Julio Lugo-style if you hang on to him ... I really think it's 50-50 to go either way at this point.

• Loosey likes this

#14 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Let me get this straight people are willing to trade Sano (who is in the majors already) but aren't willing to trade prospects (that may never make the majors), this seems a bit like bizarre world, no?

• Mike Sixel and cy1time like this

#15 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

No Twins fan wants to lose Sano unless we are getting Kershaw. The question once again is why can't the Twins produce quality pitching to go with their quality hitting? We are hoping Berrios becomes the stud he showed he can be in the minors and parts of last year with the Twins. But why is he the only "ace material" we have produced in like 25 years? We got ace prospects Trevor May and Alex Meyer in trades and gave one away so we could unload Nolasco and we turned the other into a RP?!

Maybe the new regime can change this, but as excited as I am about our hitting, how do we truly compete with the Astros, Yankees, and Indians with our starting pitching? If we can't produce them, we have to get them somehow. We were all hoping free agency would deliver for us this off season, and maybe it still can. Until the front office decides to spend some money, we have to hope our prospects are good enough to get us the quality starting pitching we need--sooner rather than later.

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Sano is our best offensive force. He's going to win HR titles. His bat is a legit difference maker, something we haven't had in a very long time. He's also cheap and under team control for another four seasons. You don't trade low on that guy. 

• Twins33, beckmt, big dog and 4 others like this

#17 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Sano is our best offensive force. He's going to win HR titles. His bat is a legit difference maker, something we haven't had in a very long time. He's also cheap and under team control for another four seasons. You don't trade low on that guy. 

You could say the same thing about Archer if you were a Rays Fan: 

Archer is our best pitcher. He's going to win CY Youngs. He is a legit difference maker, something we haven't had in a very long time. He's also cheap and under team control for another four seasons. You don't trade low on that guy.

Edited by Loosey, 15 February 2018 - 09:41 AM.

• Oxtung and jud6312 like this

#18 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

At some point the market has to move right? I don't know about Moustakas, but it seems there might be some players that the Twins (or other teams) could get creative to add even if they weren't originally part of the offseason plan. Pitching clearly needs to be the focus, but I think a opportunistic move to supplement the offense could be in play considering the personnel cost of making an addition is likely bumping Vargas from the 25-man. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't do the Sano for Archer trade, but I would consider signing Moustakus regardless. Especially if the hate is going too far, and he could be had for a massive discount. 

• zenser likes this

#20 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Wonderful speculation, but Romero is the pitcher projected to be our Archer - I would not trade him.Kepler and Gonsalves and Gordon - yes.  

• Oldgoat_MN likes this