Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Top Prospects: #6 Wander Javier

wander javier
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

The evaluations on defense for both of these guys are all over the place. Just in what I could see on MiLB.tv (not a great way to evaluate someone but the best I can do) I didn't come away super impressed with Palacios' athleticism in the field. But I've read some very positive reviews from others about his defense. BP said he was a plus-defender and a solid runner. If I was more convinced that was the case, I'd probably have had him inside my top 15 as opposed to 21st.

Well BA has him as the Twins 31st prospect and hadthis to say about Jermaine's defense:

He has above average arm strength and moves better to his right, which should allow him to stay at SS as he climbs the ladder.

From what I saw in the FSL, I'd agree, but he better hit well from the beginning as he is likely starting in the FSL again and has Royce and Wander nipping at his heels.

• RaymondLuxuryYacht, Tom Froemming, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

Release him. We have too many shortstops.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,448 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Don't know why you think that, BA grades his arm at SS as a future 55 and during the scouting circuit his arm was always regarded as a plus asset, it waned during the GCL but by all reports was back to full strength in Cedar Rapids.The waste would be putting him at the hot corner as his athleticism and speed could help incredibly in covering ground in the OF.

I'd rather has someone with a 70 arm (Sano) at third base.55 arm is at Polanco territory FWIW...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

I'd rather has someone with a 70 arm (Sano) at third base.55 arm is at Polanco territory FWIW...

Yes, while a 70 arm is ideal (and is the grade BA gave Wander Javier' arm), its not necessary especially if the footwork is there.And no Polanco was never graded out as a 55 arm, here's what was said about him in the 2016 BA Handbook where he was ranked #6 in the organization:

showing fairly soft hands but an average arm that strains to match the added burden of the position. His range is merely average and his play clock gets sped up, leading to unforced errors

If you want to comp Lewis' SS arm within the organization it's more similar to Gordon's which is graded as a 55-60 at the position.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,460 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Release him. We have too many shortstops.

Please elaborate on this solution.

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#26 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Please elaborate on this solution.

How did I know someone would take this seriously?

I'm making fun of the people who think we need to trade a SS ASAP....even though the likelihood of any of them (Gordon, Lewis, Javier) sticking as SS isn't a given....maybe even not likely.

Edited by Darius, 14 February 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#27 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

Why does it seem like any shortstop prospect we ever have ends up a tweener that needs to move positions?

#28 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Why does it seem like any shortstop prospect we ever have ends up a tweener that needs to move positions?

I don't think Javier falls in this category. He's a significantly better bet than Gordon, Lewis or Palacios to stick at SS. 

• gunnarthor, howieramone2, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

Our individual rankings:

Seth (10), Nick (3), Cody (7), Tom (4)...

I feel like I've ranked him too low, and yet as I look at the 9 names ahead of him, I don't necessarily feel bad about ranking them ahead of him. But then again, for me, 3-10 are all guys you could flip-flop in any number of ways. 

• Tom Froemming likes this

#30 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Not sure, exactly, but I seem to feel more optimistic about the four guys behind him on this list: Rooker, Enlow, Badoo and Graterol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wander javier